What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team number for RLWC

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Hmmmm..........What about a super 8 comp? maybe combine some nations to make em stronger. Something like that. Have it every 4 years with the tri-nations every year. Which includes another series with other countries - Wales, France, PNG, Pacific Nations,etc.

Have a world cup every 8 years.

Stevo_G

Juniors
10 - 12 team world cup to be hosted in Australia, NZ & PNG 2 groups
teams
Australia
New Zealand
PNG
Fiji
Samoa
Lebanon
Russia
France
Ireland
Scotland
England
Wales

Paullyboy

Coach
In-goal said:
the kiwis didn't have any of there bradford stars available either.

All you have to do is look at the first test held earlier in the year when Australia took it seriously. Andrew Johns (as much as i hate to admit it) is worth 3 tries straight up, and the players Australia had that were 'injured' (the first sign australia was going to go in soft) far outclassed the kiwis players who were not playing.

In-goal

Bench
For some reason no one is competitive mid season with Australia, is this because of origin or is it because other nations are not fazed with one of tests.

NZ are never given a good go against Australia they rearly get any players back from England until 2 days before the test, and always seem to get suspension leading in.

Last year GB had no hope flying in mid year no warm up plenty of jet lag no hope.

I still say 10 team WC to be held 3 weeks after the NRL GF this gives all squads time to get together before the opening, obviously the SL would be shortend the year.

zulu

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
Seriously guys, Id love it more than anyone, but we cant sell out a game between Australia and New Zealand, we cant sell out club matches, Sydney struggles to sell out State of Origin.

You would get maybe 2 or 3 thousand to any game not featuring australia, most games would probably end up with crowds of about 300.

And yes Townsville, wollongong love League more than union, but how well do the Cowboys or Dragons crowd figures look?

And Tamazoid the only load of crap mate is some of the teams you guys have thrown up as being competitive.

But it's ok for the union boys to throw in a bunch of utterly hopless teams right???

Taking Cowboys and Dragons crowd figures is a stupid comparison. It's all about promotion and perception. How many people do Townsville and Wollongong get to union games? There are way more league fans there as there are in sydney and Brisbane - just look at the overall figures for league games in a year compared to union.

How do you explain 17,000 to Namibia and Romania in Tas? Nobody likes union down there -PROMOTION MATE!!

League has a chance to get their international game moving again with the 100-year anniversary in 2007/2008 and they can learn a heap of this current union EVENT!! Of course it wouldn't be bigger, but that doesn't mean it can't be a success.

zu.

zulu

Juniors
In-goal said:
I think a 10 team WC in Australia is what we should aim for, and as someone already put forward i would have the opener at Townsville between France and PNG it would be a cracker.

PNG games in Townsville would go off up there. They would get much better support than the Japanese did in the union. Plenty of passionate Papuans up there and the local league followers would adopt them too.

Plus the bonus of a game that either side could win.

Games like these, strategically placed, would ensure a successful tournament, even with only, say, 10-12 teams competing.

dimitri

First Grade
thats absolutely right
i think theres 4 p's that if the rlif gets right we could have an awesome world cup in australia

Price - need to be affordable and set by supply=demand so all places packed out

Promotion - need to be promoted as a world event - combine pictures of players in countries such as russia, lebanon, uk, france etc combined with variours music from all parts of the world etc also get celebrities from these nations to appear on these ads

Perception - Must do so much promotion that people start to perceive it as a massive world event (similar to the overhyed yawnion)

PARENT RULE - get rid of the grandparent rule and make it a parent rule
same rules etc
this way players have a much closer connection with the nations they are representing

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I still think it is too early to have a world cup. My ideal date would be somewhere close to 2010. That way the English, Aussies and Kiwis would be close in competitiveness. Teams such as Lebanon, France and Russia would have developed and Scotland, Wales, Ireland, PNG etc would have come along in leaps and bounds.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I think the safest option ATM is to establish a tri-series as the international pinnacle of RL before even thinking about taking the risk of another WC.

Its OK to talk about promotion, but where does the money come from? Its not cheap & I cant see RL being able to afford the kind of blanket advertising given to the RUWC. The other problem with IRL is the fact that Australia is so dominant & that from France down you're in minnow territory. I just dont think ATM a WC would be attractive enough to sponsors & broadcasters. The last dire effort in GB still lingers on in peoples memories.

I dont know whether GB & NZ will ever become serious competition for Australia, but the international game desperately needs an annual event like a tri-series to be successful & bring in revenue to go towards growing the game & being able to stage a WC to do the code proud.

I think having a RLWC so close to the RWC would be a terrible idea. The RWC has been marketed so well, whoever was in charge of marketing should be signed up by the NRL!!!!

Also there were 10 teams in the 1995 RLWC.

I think maybe Australia hosts an Emerging Nations World Cup during the NRL season, with matches being curtain raisers for the NRL. Then the top TWO or maybe FOUR teams could be entered into an 8 team WC.....also I think it should be Great Britain not England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland. GB only played as four separate nations at the last world cup so it wasn't a joke.

But I agree for the time being RL should focus on just having more internationals. Have a Lions tour during the NRL season and then vice versa.

And if we do have a WC we MUST NOT allow Aussie players to play for other nations, it was a joke!!!!!!!

In-goal

Bench
the problem with running such an event as a curtain raiser to NRL fixtures is that it creates nill revenue.

Rugby League is desperate for a few more nations to join the middle upper rung i.e. France and P.N.G. hopefuly we will see Wales and Lebanon here sooner rather than later.

RL once had a strong 5 being Australia, England, France, New Zealand and P.N.G. if we can strengthen France and P.N.G. again thats a big part of the puzzle solved.

dimitri

First Grade
so many aussie players have played for other yawnion nations its just that the public knows nothing about yawnion and therefore they dont which players are aussie and which ones arent

wheras in league because the nrl is so popular the public knows which players are aussie

Tidus_Raider

Bench
An 8 team world cup would be a total farce. The key is WORLD cup meaning nations from all over the world gather to compete and hopefully win. This is why I think a world cup shouldn't be played until at least 5-6 competitve teams can challenge and the number of teams competing is at least 16.

In-goal

Bench
it's all good and well to have 16 nations but the game just can't handle thoughs sorts of numbers, even onion would admit that 20 is to many for them.

I think we need to get the WC back on every 4 years and just run it at 10 untill more nations become stronger, with a WC kick off in 2007/8 we would have arguably 5 nations capable of making the semi finals stage
Australia
England
Wales
France
New Zealand

who could win there respective match and make the final, with growing numbers in Wales a fully proffesional French outfit it's only a matter of time.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
In-goal said:
it's all good and well to have 16 nations but the game just can't handle thoughs sorts of numbers, even onion would admit that 20 is to many for them.

I think we need to get the WC back on every 4 years and just run it at 10 untill more nations become stronger, with a WC kick off in 2007/8 we would have arguably 5 nations capable of making the semi finals stage
Australia
England
Wales
France
New Zealand

who could win there respective match and make the final, with growing numbers in Wales a fully proffesional French outfit it's only a matter of time.

I understand your point but naming such an event the 'World Cup' defeats it's purpose if there are only 10 or so teams.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I couldnt care less what ppl say about leagues last world cup.
It gave new countries a go and now some of them are kicking on :D
Lebanon and Russia are just 2 of them.
If each time we hold a world cup and we get atleast 2 more nations playing league,well that makes me and alot of other people happy and thats what really counts,making the fans of the game happy.
If we keep trying to compare ourselves with union,well never win as they have the money.let them have theres and we will have ours,and you never know in ten or 15 years time we might just be able to have a cup where there is up to 8 teams with a great chance of winning.
I would love to see a world cup or something in australia around 2007 or 2008.
I dont care how big it is or how small it is,australia has for to long now put international league last and its about time we put it first.
I would like a 8 or 10 team world cup with another 8 or 10 emerging nations playing at all the games as curtain raisers.
Hell have the womens world cup going at the same time as well.
You would get 3 great games of footy at the same venue at a great price and with all these teams playing it gives everyone from all walks of life a chance to see league,wether your a young kid,female or male.

League doesnt discriminate everone welcome to a great day of sport and family fun.

In-goal

Bench
I understand your point but naming such an event the 'World Cup' defeats it's purpose if there are only 10 or so teams.

Thats why a while back i put up a post saying we shouldn't call it the WC, instead i said it should be called the RLIF International championships or the Huddersfield cup after the birth place of the greatest game.

dimitri

First Grade
I couldnt care less what ppl say about leagues last world cup.
It gave new countries a go and now some of them are kicking on
Lebanon and Russia are just 2 of them.
If each time we hold a world cup and we get atleast 2 more nations playing league,well that makes me and alot of other people happy and thats what really counts,making the fans of the game happy

i totally agree

Latest posts