What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Broncos

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This is the side that I feel is our best one, but we're probably never going to see. I know Leiataua is injured, but won't be far away.

1. CNK 2. DWZ 3. Berry 4. Leiataua, 5. RTS (could swap those last two) 6. CHT 7. TMM 8. AFB 9. Egan 10. Barnett 11. Niukore 12. Capewell 13. Walker 14. Tevaga 15. Ford 16. Harris 17. Maiu'u/Ale

Big Marn

Bench
This is the side that I feel is our best one, but we're probably never going to see. I know Leiataua is injured, but won't be far away.

1. CNK 2. DWZ 3. Berry 4. Leiataua, 5. RTS (could swap those last two) 6. CHT 7. TMM 8. AFB 9. Egan 10. Barnett 11. Niukore 12. Capewell 13. Walker 14. Tevaga 15. Ford 16. Harris 17. Maiu'u/Ale
i like it. i would also like to see Taine at FB again with CNK into 6. I thought that worked well against penrith. But it might have been a horses for courses selection by Webster. I've always been abit offput by Taines size but after seeing how Kini and Hammers replacement have been going this weekend, maybe its a non issue. Also he can kick goals and not crack when its clutch (like Pompey)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
i like it. i would also like to see Taine at FB again with CNK into 6. I thought that worked well against penrith. But it might have been a horses for courses selection by Webster. I've always been abit offput by Taines size but after seeing how Kini and Hammers replacement have been going this weekend, maybe its a non issue. Also he can kick goals and not crack when its clutch (like Pompey)
Bit harsh...he kicked 4-4 in the Dolphins game, including from memory some tough ones. By my count, he's 18 from 21 this year at 85%. Yes, Taine kicked an absolute belter v the Panthers, but I remember thinking in the Dolphins game that Pompey delivered under pressure.

What sticks out more in my mind is the absolutely woeful miss he put on someone yesterday. I've blocked it out, but it was an absolute arm waver. When you're as limited as he is as a player, you need to make your tackles to justify yourself.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Bit harsh...he kicked 4-4 in the Dolphins game, including from memory some tough ones. By my count, he's 18 from 21 this year at 85%. Yes, Taine kicked an absolute belter v the Panthers, but I remember thinking in the Dolphins game that Pompey delivered under pressure.

What sticks out more in my mind is the absolutely woeful miss he put on someone yesterday. I've blocked it out, but it was an absolute arm waver. When you're as limited as he is as a player, you need to make your tackles to justify yourself.
Yep. Pompey is a low ceiling effort guy (as are Ford and Montoya) we can’t carry those sort of player when they make crucial errors or are lazy.

Meth

Staff member
Kosi and Pompey are bonafide depth players, who'll only really feature when other players are available due to injury.

Now, if only we could get Montoya and Ford assigned into the same category.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I missed the RTS tackle as I’d switched off in disgust by then but it sounds like most people were perplexed by that decision.
TMM probably escapes due to a clean record. Niukore’s was only pulled up by the bunker so can’t have been too bad.

Blair

Coach
I missed the RTS tackle as I’d switched off in disgust by then but it sounds like most people were perplexed by that decision.
TMM probably escapes due to a clean record. Niukore’s was only pulled up by the bunker so can’t have been too bad.
So, we're all guns blazing next week. Look out Broncos.

Rich102

Staff member
No and No. Look we all know that Webster isn't going to change his team around just to fit players in where we feel they should go. It is more a feeling the team would go better with his speed and enthusiasm included wherever Webster gives him a go.
Maybe on the bench. But, after last weekend, he deserves a chance.

Scott

Bench
Is that because we think CNK has been a bit flat, or because Taine is a better fullback than CHT is a 6?
There are more points in the team with TT at fullback. CNK is the ultimate team player who can play anywhere. Right now, 6 is best for the team with TMM taking control. Kicking game may suffer, but i believe our kicking game is only as good as the chase and the want to compete for the ball.

CHT - offers very little currently on both sides of the ball.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
There are more points in the team with TT at fullback. CNK is the ultimate team player who can play anywhere. Right now, 6 is best for the team with TMM taking control. Kicking game may suffer, but i believe our kicking game is only as good as the chase and the want to compete for the ball.

Good point - it's very relevant as to what offers the side the most overall, not just what CNK's best position is. I think Webster has painted himself into a corner a bit with his public comments about RTS in the centres, but if 6 is best for CNK and the team, that needs to happen.

I don't remember any kicking game issues without SJ and TMM in charge. That surprises me but I really don't.

Someone may end up correcting me, but from memory, CHT was more than handy in his two games at 6 vs Dolphins and Cows. I certainly remember his left foot serving us well on a few occasions, but I accept I may be viewing things through rose tints given how euphoric those few weeks were.

Meth

Staff member
I remember us all saying how little Martin offers on both side of the ball.

Maybe CHT isn't the issue...