What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Broncos

sup42

Juniors
From what I was told, Mohawk told Lodge that he could find numerous players in south Auckland club footy that could do the job Lodge was doing

It was a strange episode indeed. Reminded me a bit of the tales from the Daniel Anderson Mick Watson era. Our owner was drinking, Lodge is a recovering alcoholic on the Orange juice. In my experience it is the guy with the beer in front of him that starts it, not the guy with a glass of fresh up.

Lodge has never bagged the Warriors owner over the argument. Quite the opposite, he agrees there was an incident, he claims he walked away rather than get into it, and he praises Robinson's work at the Warriors. What stood out for me was Robinson's explanation, that it was two Alpha males going at it.

It is almost comedic for someone of Robinson's physical dimensions to describe himself as an Alpha competitor to someone like Matt Lodge. I understand Robinson would likely mean dominant in the personality stakes rather than physically (if he didn't mean that he is delusional, Lodge would snap him in half with one finger).

Hopefully our owner learned a valuable lesson about boundaries between upper management and the plebs. In any industry owners are not advised to drink with employees that are not long term social peers, it opens you to liability which is what happened in this case. My take is Marks comments about being an Alpha suggest an ego issue, similar to Daniel Anderson and Mick Watson's leadership style, which is sweeter than honey when it goes well, and sour as vinegar when things are not working out.

Watch this space I guess. It will be a long and fruitful relationship if the Owner lets the coach make all the player calls.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
If you look at the teams on paper (especially if the Broncos aren't bringing in the Origin guns) and the way the Broncs have been going lately, you'd have to give us every chance. Plus our great records after copping a flogging, and without Johnson this year. I won't be tipping us but I think I lowkey expect us to win.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
What stood out for me was Robinson's explanation, that it was two Alpha males going at it.

It is almost comedic for someone of Robinson's physical dimensions to describe himself as an Alpha competitor to someone like Matt Lodge. I understand Robinson would likely mean dominant in the personality stakes rather than physically (if he didn't mean that he is delusional, Lodge would snap him in half with one finger).
The thing that I've learned in life is that if you have to tell people you're something, you ain't it.

If you're announcing yourself as an alpha male, you probably ain't one, and you're probably trying too hard to be one.

We all know the person in the office who proclaims 'how busy they are' yet has all the time in the world to walk around telling everyone.

You're absolutely right, the owners should be not seen and not heard by the public most of the time. And I think in an ideal world, they're not as close with the team as Robinson is. Bit of a personal conflict in all of it - Robinson being the owner, his now son-in-law is the videographer, who is best mates with SJ and other players, it's a bit matey-matey. I'm sure it would make it harder to pull the trigger on SJ if it was needed, or certainly to drop him.

sup42

Juniors
The thing that I've learned in life is that if you have to tell people you're something, you ain't it.

If you're announcing yourself as an alpha male, you probably ain't one, and you're probably trying too hard to be one.

We all know the person in the office who proclaims 'how busy they are' yet has all the time in the world to walk around telling everyone.

You're absolutely right, the owners should be not seen and not heard by the public most of the time. And I think in an ideal world, they're not as close with the team as Robinson is. Bit of a personal conflict in all of it - Robinson being the owner, his now son-in-law is the videographer, who is best mates with SJ and other players, it's a bit matey-matey. I'm sure it would make it harder to pull the trigger on SJ if it was needed, or certainly to drop him.

I am hoping he is someone who does a bit of self reflection and gets supervision (professional supervision from someone with a track record like all top CEOs or owners).

All that said. He has been one of the best things that has happened to the Warriors, the way they have developed the brand and leaned into silly slang like up the Wahs really shows they are connected to the man on the street.

The game day experience is run by a new young crew and you have to say that Mt Smart is going off and they still sell out after bad losses (not talking about games like the Titans where the Warriors were already sold before 60 pt a hiding) they have been selling strongly well in advance during their slumps since Robinson took over.

Most of that is down to the gutsy style Webster brought in and the players efforts. Obviously alarm bells should be going off just now.

sup42

Juniors
Us by 12
I think we play extremely well

Could well be hey. This would not surprise me either.

Barnett is fresh and still trying to get his SOO future locked in, Capewell only played half an hour or so last night.

With the return of those two, our defence should tighten significantly (heck after conceding 60 the bar is set very low).

T M Martin seems hell bent on securing the lead half position at the Warriors so I expect he will carve up again this week, we hope ably aided by his halves partner.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
If you look at the teams on paper (especially if the Broncos aren't bringing in the Origin guns) and the way the Broncs have been going lately, you'd have to give us every chance.

If you think that's wild, wait until you compare us to the Titans on paper and how they've been going.

sup42

Juniors
Hate to say it but officiating will probably be the decisive factor on the night.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
I take it you're not a fan of Mark Robinson AKA Mohawk?

Interesting about what Walker said in regards of that 1 toxic player at Manly lol
I haven't seen that interview yet. Sounds good.
The Walker Interview was preseason before he had played a game for the Warriors, I would post it if It was this season but It is an old interview now.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Just like last year, no origin players....in Napier wasn't it, and we got pumped.

Origin period used to be our sweet spot, but in recent years it's a dumpster fire.

Meth

Staff member
Just like last year, no origin players....in Napier wasn't it, and we got pumped.

Origin period used to be our sweet spot, but in recent years it's a dumpster fire.

I think the factors which used to make the period advantageous have been nullified somewhat.

Like, this year, off the top of my head, it’s bye/Titans/bye in terms of games with Origin players out. We had more players out due to Origin than the Titans. In terms of backing up, Cowboys/Broncos/Raiders? This game is probably the one that we get the most out of.

Latest posts