What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Bulldogs

Meth

Staff member
1- Nicoll-Klokstad
2- Watene-Zelezniak
3- Tuivasa-Sheck
4- Pompey
5- Graham-Taufa
6- Harris-Tavita
7- Martin
8- Fonua-Blake
9- Egan
10- Barnett
11- Niukore
12- Capewell
13- Walker

Res- Harris, Tevaga, Afoa, Lussick

18- Ale/Ford

Considered Leiataua, who supposedly is due back this week. Might be good to give him a run in NSW Cup and then the bye and bring him in for the Canberra game.

Montoya and Ford out. Ford to NSW Cup. Montoya, whatever...I'm over him.

Meth

Staff member
Haven't seen the charge sheet out of NSW Cup, but I suspect that Ale might have a case to answer as there seems to be some validity to the referee's claim that he kicked Horsburgh?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Considered Leiataua, who supposedly is due back this week. Might be good to give him a run in NSW Cup and then the bye and bring him in for the Canberra game.
IMO the lesson should be well and truly learned now about bringing players back from injury- NOBODY goes straight back to first grade after a protracted layoff without a run in reserves unless it’s absolutely forced by a injury crisis.

Meth

Staff member
Not sure I agree with that as a hard and fast rule. I guess it depends on the nature of the injury and the player. But yeah, in this case, I definitely agree.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not sure I agree with that as a hard and fast rule. I guess it depends on the nature of the injury and the player. But yeah, in this case, I definitely agree.
Note I said PROTRACTED layoff. Nobody should be coming straight into FG after a month plus on the sidelines IMO. Guys who’re out for a week or two with minor strains or head knocks, that’s a different story.

Last edited:

hitro

Juniors
This should be an exciting game. The current version of the team as in the one that played yesterday and v Panthers and Cowboys is so exciting. Bulldogs are going alright too. Might be a golden point game, who is our drop goal go to guy, as well as the halves there's Pompey and Capewell to consider, Barnet probably reckons he could get it too.
I have noticed Pompey is a right foot kicker and gets the favourable bend when he is to the left of the goal. CHT is a leftie maybe he should take the kicks from that side?

This should be an exciting game. The current version of the team as in the one that played yesterday and v Panthers and Cowboys is so exciting. Bulldogs are going alright too. Might be a golden point game, who is our drop goal go to guy, as well as the halves there's Pompey and Capewell to consider, Barnet probably reckons he could get it too.
I have noticed Pompey is a right foot kicker and gets the favourable bend when he is to the left of the goal. CHT is a leftie maybe he should take the kicks from that side?
Didn't CHT kick the last goal from the left? I should rewatch the game lol

We can only hope the ref doesn't manage the Dogs back into the game or give them the game early and balance out the penalties.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Huge game into the bye. We have to play the Dogs in our 2nd to last game of the season, as well, so figuring out how to unlock them is pretty vital.

I haven't watched the Dogs this year, what sort of side are they? Pretty decent to be running 5th after a plodding season last year

Huge game into the bye. We have to play the Dogs in our 2nd to last game of the season, as well, so figuring out how to unlock them is pretty vital.

I haven't watched the Dogs this year, what sort of side are they? Pretty decent to be running 5th after a plodding season last year
Watched a few of their games and they definitely have more starch compared to last year. Both edges are a threat with Kikau and Crichton on either side and Curran's been playing well off the bench.

Yep, huge game. Definitive even. If we lose this, it’s truly season over IMO
I dont think a loss would be terminal (yet), so long as the CHT/TMM combo continues the team on an upwards trajectory. And AFB doesnt have any more tantrums.

We still have 2 byes worth of points up our sleeves, and the only top4 team we have left is the Sharks who I'd back us to beat if we're playing well.

Meth

Staff member
I dont think a loss would be terminal (yet), so long as the CHT/TMM combo continues the team on an upwards trajectory. And AFB doesnt have any more tantrums.

We still have 2 byes worth of points up our sleeves, and the only top4 team we have left is the Sharks who I'd back us to beat if we're playing well.

I think we need 6 from 8 from here. Maybe 5 might do it, but results would have to go our way. The draw is favourable from here but, as we've shown against the Titans, when we don't show up, we're an awful side. A win here could set the tone for the rest of the year and with the bye, we'll be on the cusp of the 8 going into Round 20.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Absolutely outstanding defensive side which is keeping them in the tussle every game, and attack wise they can produce some special efforts when Burton and Crichton are involved

Crichton buy of the season and potentially of the last decade, he is offering huge leadership on and off the park

Last edited:
Absolutely outstanding defensive side which is keeping them in the tussle every game, and attack wise they can produce from special efforts when Burton and Crichton are involved

Crichton buy of the season and potentially of the last decade, he is offering huge leadership on and off the park
I read earlier this week that Penrith invited him to test the market? Gees that'll hurt.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I read earlier this week that Penrith invited him to test the market? Gees that'll hurt.
Yeah, tough choice when you have so many players at the top level and trying to choose which ones to prioritise going forward, at that price bracket can’t really say they got it badly wrong with retaining Cleary, Edwards and Yeo

vvvrulz

Coach
I think we need 6 from 8 from here. Maybe 5 might do it, but results would have to go our way. The draw is favourable from here but, as we've shown against the Titans, when we don't show up, we're an awful side. A win here could set the tone for the rest of the year and with the bye, we'll be on the cusp of the 8 going into Round 20.

What helps us is these so called "4 point games" - nicking points off our rivals as we go.

It's a very weird year: the top 4 look set and then you can throw a blanket over 9 teams to make up the other 4. We're the last of that lot. The Manly draw we stole almost means our F/A doesn't matter, as we'll just leapfrog teams sitting on even points (Manly aside).

Bulldogs, Raiders and Phins are in our neighbourhood on the ladder.
We get the bye.
Tigers and Eels are games we should be closing.

It's a good run - this year has a very "2008" feel about it, following a surprise year storming into the top four, getting found out a bit mid-season, then (fingers crossed) go on a run and make some waves in the big dance.

Yeah, tough choice when you have so many players at the top level and trying to choose which ones to prioritise going forward, at that price bracket can’t really say they got it badly wrong with retaining Cleary, Edwards and Yeo
Oh yea prioritising those 3 all made sense. And at the time they weren’t to know Luai would eventually sign elsewhere. Or that their eventual centre placement May would fall off the rails.

But knowing all that now while also seeing Crichton’s growth at the Dogs must still sting a wee bit.

Latest posts