What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Bulldogs

Meth

Staff member
With a resurgent souffs, we are looking very sad on the table atm at 14th. Don't win this week, (a win being improbable) , and it really is, season over

Honestly, this game is the kind of game we won last year to deserve our spot. If we can win (with due respect to the Bulldogs), then we don't deserve to play the finals.

All of our remaining games are winnable.

Rich102

Staff member
Easy. We stuffed around with injured players in the team and didn't give younger players a chance.

Previous years with other coaches I would of been worried, but we know deep down that this team is special and the coach has course corrected some of his questionable coaching decisions.

Imagine the story we will write coming out from nowhere to make that 8 and peaking at the right time?
That's what it comes down to at the end of the day. Form and injuries. Balance those 2 things at the right time before finals, anything is possible.

Meth

Staff member
Previous years with other coaches I would of been worried, but we know deep down that this team is special and the coach has course corrected some of his questionable coaching decisions.

ummm...no.

This team hasn't really shown itself to be special and neither has Webster.

And he absolutely has not shown himself to have course corrected some of his questionable coaching decisions.

RTS at centre was a questionable decision. It's Round 18, he's still playing centre and it's still questionable.

The only reason Johnson isn't playing and TMM is getting any ball is because Johnson is injured. There's no evidence that had Johnson not been injured, we wouldn't be playing that same old clunky, overly-reliant on Johnson attack.

We still haven't seen any promotion of Leiataua, nor Graham-Taufa, which I guess I can live with if it's best for their development. But it's questionable

Meth

Staff member
That's to say nothing of the fact that we still look absolutely cooked when it rains a bit.

nswarrior

Juniors
I really can’t see us winning against the Dogs. They have been really good in defence and put teams away in the last 15 to 20 minutes after grinding it out when needed. I haven’t felt so negative about us for a couple of years.

Hope the boys prove me wrong

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
With a resurgent souffs, we are looking very sad on the table atm at 14th. Don't win this week, (a win being improbable) , and it really is, season over
The thing about this year is every team in the comp bar maybe Parra has had its hot streaks and bad patches.

ummm...no.

This team hasn't really shown itself to be special and neither has Webster.

And he absolutely has not shown himself to have course corrected some of his questionable coaching decisions.

RTS at centre was a questionable decision. It's Round 18, he's still playing centre and it's still questionable.

The only reason Johnson isn't playing and TMM is getting any ball is because Johnson is injured. There's no evidence that had Johnson not been injured, we wouldn't be playing that same old clunky, overly-reliant on Johnson attack.

We still haven't seen any promotion of Leiataua, nor Graham-Taufa, which I guess I can live with if it's best for their development. But it's questionable
Despite being so low on the table I have the utmost confidence that Webster has figured out this team.

You're not convinced because Webby only changed things as they are because of injuries? Sometimes being shown you got it wrong by forced injuries is what makes coaches better at their craft, you know that's what we call experience. Webby also mentioned in a presser that he knows what TMM is all about now, which tells me that he has opened his eyes on TMM ceiling and its higher than he initially thought.

I have marked Webby down on some of his coaching decisions, the predictable SJ heavy game plan for example needed to be tweaked but didn;t and it wasn;t until TMM and CHT coming into the fold that we saw a fresh attacking game plan.

For a 2nd year first grade coach Webby is still shit loads better than some of the more established coaches making the same bad coaching decisions you have an issue with.

This team is better now because I don't know what's going to happen on the last tackle play now, and that's great.

sup42

Juniors
Honestly, this game is the kind of game we won last year to deserve our spot. If we can win (with due respect to the Bulldogs), then we don't deserve to play the finals.

All of our remaining games are winnable.
Crazy to think that there is still a mathematical chance of the Warriors making the top four if they win all their games.

Shouldn't be remotely a calculation after such a poor season. But the NRL continues to serve up these even contests week in week out.

The problem for us is that the so called weaker sides are all building and getting better this late in the season, so there are no auto wins.

sup42

Juniors
Despite being so low on the table I have the utmost confidence that Webster has figured out this team.

You're not convinced because Webby only changed things as they are because of injuries? Sometimes being shown you got it wrong by forced injuries is what makes coaches better at their craft, you know that's what we call experience. Webby also mentioned in a presser that he knows what TMM is all about now, which tells me that he has opened his eyes on TMM ceiling and its higher than he initially thought.

I have marked Webby down on some of his coaching decisions, the predictable SJ heavy game plan for example needed to be tweaked but didn;t and it wasn;t until TMM and CHT coming into the fold that we saw a fresh attacking game plan.

For a 2nd year first grade coach Webby is still shit loads better than some of the more established coaches making the same bad coaching decisions you have an issue with.

This team is better now because I don't know what's going to happen on the last tackle play now, and that's great.

The thing about playing Johnson injured is that he is carrying chronic leg injuries. Especially that groin which goes back years and since last year has been a permanent impairment.

Talk of not playing him injured could well mean that he should not have played at all for the later half of last season and should not have played this year....and you might as well consider him medically retired if the goal is to wait for 100% recovery.

I do not believe that Johnsons legs are capable of 100% total impairment free function. He is like Harris, and like many of us when we hit our mid thirties, the bung knees, or crook groin etc are life long niggly weak spots.

Meth

Staff member
The thing about playing Johnson injured is that he is carrying chronic leg injuries. Especially that groin which goes back years and since last year has been a permanent impairment.

Talk of not playing him injured could well mean that he should not have played at all for the later half of last season and should not have played this year....and you might as well consider him medically retired if the goal is to wait for 100% recovery.

I do not believe that Johnsons legs are capable of 100% total impairment free function. He is like Harris, and like many of us when we hit our mid thirties, the bung knees, or crook groin etc are life long niggly weak spots.

which brings me to a point that I was making earlier in the season- at what point is it simply untenable to have a halfback who is so chronically injured that he isn’t able to train with the team?

sup42

Juniors
I got the impression that RTS was signed on a mid range contract (guess omitter says that would be around the 650k mark).

The club did say he was not re signed on a big contract like the Million dollars he commanded when he left. The key thing being that he took a pay cut in Union.

Also the club has been hard balling it's older players, including Johnson who after coming second in the Dally M race, got a one year extension only, and Cameron George said it was a pay cut.

As I was saying about Johnsons age and the medical story we only have external insights into, if Johnson was not 'nearly shot and done for good' the Warriors would not force him to one year deals two years running.

I think we may have seen the last of SJ if the goal is to wait till he is fully fit.

sup42

Juniors
which brings me to a point that I was making earlier in the season- at what point is it simply untenable to have a halfback who is so chronically injured that he isn’t able to train with the team?

The sixty four thousand dollar question. Or in SJs case he is on about 350k or so (I have no hard proof of that, it is based on comments made by Cam George that he came back on a small contract, then this year they cut his pay again). Which is why they designed a plan to play him in a dinner suit and keep him away from trouble.

Hindsight says we should have cut and run this season, but we did not have the evidence of four spectacular games with TMM to inform us.

Meth

Staff member
The sixty four thousand dollar question. Or in SJs case he is on about 350k or so (I have no hard proof of that, it is based on comments made by Cam George that he came back on a small contract, then this year they cut his pay again).

Wait, what?

I had him on 600-700k

sup42

Juniors
Wait, what?

I had him on 600-700k
You might be right.
Problem is no one knows.
I just remember Cam George saying the first time around that SJ accepted a very low offer, then saying for this year they cut his pay again.

Six to seven hundred K is not a low offer in my mind.

Latest posts