What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Knights.

Campion

Juniors
the knights team is absolutely terrible. i can't think of a recent season where a team has been so bad on (and off) paper.

JJ

Immortal
They are, but at least their on-field performances are consistent with their on-paper expectations

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
the knights team is absolutely terrible. i can't think of a recent season where a team has been so bad on (and off) paper.

The Sharks and Eels (both around the time or just after Ricky Stuart, funnily enough) were horri-bad at times.

But yeah. This is a NSW Cup side we are playing. I don't feel bad saying that - it's exactly what they are. It would be one of the most disgraceful losses in our history if we did so. We should, and need, to go over and clinically put them away. And I think we will, because it's one of those games where we know we won't have to work too hard to break the dam.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hingano.
Repeat after me.
Hingano.
;-)
I got to make this comparison (it probably deserves it's own thread), who would you say is better out of Te Mari Martin and Hingano?

Is there a big difference between the 2?

Do you see him having the same sort of career impact as Martin or would he debut and stay bolted as a permanent fixture?

What weaknesses and who's weakness is worst?

Open Question to all Hingano fans on what you guys THINK...

Last edited:

Unicorn

Juniors
I'm looking forward to seeing Nathan Ross again. When we thrashed the Knights earlier in the year, Ross showed some attacking strength. It'll be interesting to see how he goes this time around.

Tariq Sims has been quiet for awhile now.

Sione Matautia is coming around now.

Still we should win well as the Warrior camp is in good spirits.
Ross isn't playing. KNIGHTS v WARRIORS - 3pm Saturday at Hunter Stadium

Knights:

Mid-week recruit Brendan Elliott is set to play centre in place of Nathan Ross (calf).

Also expect fellow new face Mitch Barnett to find his way into the 17.

Danny Levi (concussion) will need to pass final testing but is set to play.

Jacob Saifiti (wrist) is fit to return, while Korbin Sims (suspension) also comes back into the side.

Robbie Rochow (broken arm) is aiming to return after next week’s bye.

Warriors:

No changes expected, with five-eighth Thomas Leuluai (ankle/knee) pulling up well following a late scare last week.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I got to make this comparison (it probably deserves it's own thread), who would you say is better out of Te Mari Martin and Hingano?

Do you see him having the same sort of career impact as Martin or would he debut and stay bolted as a permanent fixture?

I've seen very little of Hingano, and just a little bit more of Te Maire, and I almost instantly thought they were very similar. They're both natural halves who own the position. There's no sense that they're anything but born to play in the halves. Playing attackingly like Foran - nothing absolutely dazzling, but everything well organised, direct and smart. Good heads on their shoulders. The Tigers let Te Maire go for the pair of spuds they have now, that's a piece of business they'll live to regret. We would be the same if we don't give Hingaro a chance soon.

I don't know about either of their defensive capabilities but I'd guess that would be their main work-on. Hingano will have benefitted hugely from a good stint in NSW Cup leading a side around against big bodies.

jaseg

Juniors
Elliot is a fair replacement, but not quite the same. Barnett though, that guy is one hell of a prospect. Basically was forced out of the Raiders because Stuart kept picking up really good forwards who are comfortable playing on the edge (already had Papalii, added Soliola and then Whitehead & Tapine).

Haven't watched Te Marie Martin anywhere near as closely as Hingano, but my impressions (mostly from watching Martin's NRL games) are that Martin is good off the back of his running game while Hingano is a pure ball player with a better kicking game. Hingano has been working on one weakness in his game - his own running, has been coming on in leaps and bounds in that area this year, but still a ways to go.

Martin is a very talented player, but doesn't look like he has the vision of Hingano. I kind of hate the Martin=Benji comparison (it's lazy and mostly made due to the Tigers, NZ, #6 & Keebra connections), but it's kind of useful here - thinking '05 era Tigers - if Martin was like Benji then Hingano would be like Prince. Could very well be the next long term NZ halves combo after Foran/Johnson.

Martin very likely (near certainly, I'd say) would have stayed in that Panthers side if not for a season ending injury - and I expect Hingano may do similar, though he's a couple of years younger so might want to give him a few runs then back to reserves for a few weeks etc... and anyway, with Cappy you never know.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Ross isn't playing
Ross out for the Knights? Damn, they can't take a trick this year.
Geez, I hope it's not for too long. As a Warrior fan and one who's aware of the danger he poses with the ball, I should be happy he's not playing. Hope gets back out there soon cos he's going good is Ross.

Thanks for the info Uni.
I've seen very little of Hingano, and just a little bit more of Te Maire, and I almost instantly thought they were very similar. They're both natural halves who own the position. There's no sense that they're anything but born to play in the halves. Playing attackingly like Foran - nothing absolutely dazzling, but everything well organised, direct and smart. Good heads on their shoulders. The Tigers let Te Maire go for the pair of spuds they have now, that's a piece of business they'll live to regret. We would be the same if we don't give Hingaro a chance soon.

I don't know about either of their defensive capabilities but I'd guess that would be their main work-on. Hingano will have benefitted hugely from a good stint in NSW Cup leading a side around against big bodies.

Elliot is a fair replacement, but not quite the same. Barnett though, that guy is one hell of a prospect. Basically was forced out of the Raiders because Stuart kept picking up really good forwards who are comfortable playing on the edge (already had Papalii, added Soliola and then Whitehead & Tapine).

Haven't watched Te Marie Martin anywhere near as closely as Hingano, but my impressions (mostly from watching Martin's NRL games) are that Martin is good off the back of his running game while Hingano is a pure ball player with a better kicking game. Hingano has been working on one weakness in his game - his own running, has been coming on in leaps and bounds in that area this year, but still a ways to go.

Martin is a very talented player, but doesn't look like he has the vision of Hingano. I kind of hate the Martin=Benji comparison (it's lazy and mostly made due to the Tigers, NZ, #6 & Keebra connections), but it's kind of useful here - thinking '05 era Tigers - if Martin was like Benji then Hingano would be like Prince. Could very well be the next long term NZ halves combo after Foran/Johnson.

Martin very likely (near certainly, I'd say) would have stayed in that Panthers side if not for a season ending injury - and I expect Hingano may do similar, though he's a couple of years younger so might want to give him a few runs then back to reserves for a few weeks etc... and anyway, with Cappy you never know.
After reading your fellas description of Hinganos game, it obviously ticks the boxes of what our top side needs. I now understand why you guys want him in there AHEAD of someone like Tui. It's almost to good to be true or a no brainer to not pick someone who can fill the void. You gotta wonder why he ain't in there now.

We all know Cappy was a half so there's a chance we will see this kid become a Warrior this year. Leuluai is on the brink of an injury, Robson sux and Tui is looking great at the back.

I like Martin and from the sounds of it, Hingano should be stronger all round. Interesting.

Cheers Team.

Unicorn

Juniors
More injures for the Knights: Just read on foxtel that Tariq Sims is out with an injury. Barnett to start.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is anyone else feeling that Thursday night footy is a flop?

I forgot it was even on. On a worknight, with a child I know is going to wake up at 6am best case scenario, it's just not even an option. Same as Origin, especially Origin at 10.20pm.

When I lived in Australia, however, I loved Thursday night league. More the merrier.

TheDMC

Bench
I like it. Would rather game viewing more nights the better than overload on Saturday.

jaseg

Juniors
I usually work pretty late during the week, so don't get to see it often - but I like the concept of games on more days (5 day spread works for me). The only problem is NRL not having full control of their own schedule, leaving the window open for quite a few short turnarounds across the league. Oh, and it's a Nein game so it probably ends up starting way later than it should -even worse for NZ, but bad annoying enough on a work night for those in Aus, particularly fans wanting to go to the game.

Latest posts