What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Panthers- Trial 2

ozbash

Referee
Warriors vs Panthers player ratings

22. KEVIN LOCKE 8/10
Didn’t make any mistakes in the fullback position, returned the ball well and scored a try from good support play. Appears to be over his injury woes and his ability to read the game was a welcome sight for fans.

2. BILL TUPOU 6/10
Solid for the most part and strong under the high ball, a couple of areas including a bombed try late on soured his performance.
3. DANE NIELSEN 7/10
Showed his class with ball in hand, creating good chances for his wingers through the early stages and was strong on defence. Will be a welcome sight for Warriors fans who have been calling for a class centre.
4. KONRAD HURRELL 6/10
Didn’t create his usual drama for the opposing defence but threated a few times. Appeared to sustain a knock early on which saw him leave the field for a while, defence continues to be the big problem for Konrad.
25. MANU VATUVEI 7/10
Scored a classy try early on from good anticipation off a Shaun Johnson kick and then set Kevin Locke up later, looked solid under the high ball.
6. THOMAS LEULUAI 7/10
Was consistent throughout the entire game, got some decent kicks away under heavy pressure from the Panthers and looked comfortable in his playmaking duties. Impressive in defence where he produced some classic big hits.
7. SHAUN JOHNSON 7/10
Produced a spectacular off-the-cuff play for the first try. Was typically troubling for Penrith defenders throughout but was guilty of going missing for short periods. Some good kicks in play.
15. JACOB LILLYMAN 6/10
Had some damaging runs early on in the match and along with Matulino was the team’s best going forward.
14. ELIJAH TAYLOR 7/10
Played most of the game at hooker where he was steady, a good passing game and strong ruck defence were among his positive points, doesn’t add a lot of spark in attack but made few mistakes all game.
10. BEN MATULINO 7/10
Bent the line with some classic Ben10 hitups, was a real x-factor throughout the game, could be set for another big year as a leader in the Warriors pack.
16. BEN HENRY 6/10
Limited game time contributed to him only getting a 6 rating, went about his work in the backrow without too much fuss, didn’t make any obvious errors.
12. SIMON MANNERING 7/10
His defence in the middle of the field was as strong as ever, didn’t add much in attack but that was never what his role was about, a typically consistent performance.
13. FELETI MATEO 6/10
A little quiet with the ball in hand, looked to play plenty of minutes with ease, showing increased fitness from past years.
1. DOMINIQUE PEYROUX 4/10
The new recruit had a tough day at the office, including a big miss on defence which lead to a Panthers try, and then gave the ball away with a silly offload, is a quality player who simply had a bad game.
8. JOHN PALAVI 6/10
Went about his work strongly in the middle, his defence was tight and he did the job asked of him, has a big future at the club and will only get better.
17. PITA GODINET 7/10
Made an obvious difference when he entered the game in the last quarter, troubled the defence when he had ball in hand and showcased his quick feet on a few occasions, is presenting a strong case to start in round one.
18. ALEHANA MARA 6/10
Failed to excite too much in attack, however gave good service from dummy half and was strong in defence.
21. NGANI LAUMAPE 7/10
Came on for Tupou late on and made an instant impact with a try where his speed was clear to see. Produced a nice grab to save a try under the high ball and looked solid, a real possibility to be the right winger come round one.
9. CARLOS TUIMAVAVE 7/10
Much like Godinet his impact off the bench was telling, played centre and was good in attack. Perhaps more pleasing however was his defensive effort, made a few nice tackles and looked to be reading the game well.
20. SAM LOUSI 6/10
A little quiet by his standards, hit the ball up well without ever really breaking the line, looked to perhaps be carrying a niggling injury, was reliable in defence.
23. SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO 7/10
Was quality in defence, making good reads and missing few tackles. Showed he has plenty of speed and ability with ball in hand, yet another gifted forward to come from the Warriors junior system.
26. GLEN FISIIAHI 7/10
Was disappointing in last week’s trial but performed admirably on the left wing against the Panthers. Scored a nice try and very nearly set another up, wasn’t tested too much in defence though. Spent limited time at fullback and looked decent.
11. SIO SIUA TAUKEIAHO 7/10
A quiet achiever throughout the game, put in plenty of effort to be in the right place at the right time, didn’t let anyone down and was solid in all aspects of the game.
5. CHARLIE GUBB 6/10
Was quiet throughout the game and never really damaged the Panthers defence. In fairness however his defensive technique was good and overall he didn’t get much game time to showcase his skill set, is a player who has plenty to offer the Warriors in 2013.

http://rateofplay.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/warriors-vs-panthers-player-ratings/

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Those ratings seem pretty high considering we lost. Not looking good that Koni is still getting injured consistently throughout a match.

Really happy with the performance of Locke by all reports.

LeagueNut

First Grade
If we pick a Round 1 team using those ratings...

1. Locke
2. Laumape
3. Nielsen
4. Tuimavave
5. Vatuvei
6. Leuluai
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Taylor
10. Matulino
11. Mateo
12. Mannering
13. Lowrie

14. Godinet
15. Lousi
16. Ikahihifo
17. Fisiiahi / Henry / Palavi / Taukeiaho (horses for courses)

I could live with that.

Edit: Juggled around to fit Lowrie in there

Last edited:

LeagueNut

First Grade
It sounds like the Eels were no better than last year in their trial loss to the Tigers last night ... Round 1 might be ugly.

Micistm

Bench
The concern for me:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8314344/Warriors-go-down-to-Penrith-in-Hamilton

"It was an awful half from the Warriors, with too many errors made on attack, while defensively they fell off a number of tackles and at 22-4 down the game was lost."

Sounds way too familiar.

It is only a trial, the proof will be in the early rounds...but yes, just sounds all too familiar.:? I still have faith there will be some determined to make ammends for last year. Well, hoping!
I've said it several times but after last years effort and all the shit that went down from it- They cannot demand nor expect loyalty. They have to win fans back.

ozbash

Referee
They have to win fans back.

might be easier said than done, of course the 'True Warriors' (aka sheep) will be there with bells on..

The Warriors status on f/book yesterday after the game was the best comedy Ive read in a long time.

Rich102

Staff member
All I need now is Ken Ring to say we're going to have a great season and I will know we're doomed.

Micistm

Bench
All I need now is Ken Ring to say we're going to have a great season and I will know we're doomed.

You're trying to get me off on one of my rants!:lol:

Yeah, I did originally think we were going to have a good season, I thought they would be utterly determined to back up strong from the most abysmal season in the Clubs history. I've been saying to people, 'Mark my words, they'll be top four this year!'
I am concerned we will be in one of those 'we're rebuilding' years. All those media shots of the training, the look at us, see how hard we're working...etc etc.
I don't give a crap. Show it on the field, lads.

Still, no reason to panic, only been a couple of trial games that really don't mean squat.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If we pick a Round 1 team using those ratings...

1. Locke
2. Laumape
3. Nielsen
4. Tuimavave
5. Vatuvei
6. Leuluai
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Taylor
10. Matulino
11. Mateo
12. Mannering
13. Lowrie

14. Godinet
15. Lousi
16. Ikahihifo
17. Fisiiahi / Henry / Palavi / Taukeiaho (horses for courses)

I could live with that.

Edit: Juggled around to fit Lowrie in there

Not enough beef up front. We're limited without Packer and Older Louisi. Swap 17 for Sam Rapira and Godinet for Mara (Godinet provided a spark yesterday by the sounds of it, but Mara is by far the best hooker available)

Not sold of Tui at centre, mainly because of defense, but then again Hurrell probably would be the replacement.

Round 1 team selection will be interesting.

Iafeta

Referee
Qft

these are mickey mouse games at best

Amen. I was happy to read Elliott took responsibility for the loss on his structure. He also said it would be an easy fix. Pleased for two reasons, can't recall too many coaches taking responsibility like that, and he has an actual idea rather than "we are close", "it will come" etc.

One Warrior

Bench
Amen. I was happy to read Elliott took responsibility for the loss on his structure. He also said it would be an easy fix. Pleased for two reasons, can't recall too many coaches taking responsibility like that, and he has an actual idea rather than "we are close", "it will come" etc.

Yes pleased to hear that also, Sam Rapira and Lowrie will make us stronger in the forwards, and glad to hear Glen Fisiiahi had a good game, stick him on the wing instead of Tupou.

MaxPower

Juniors

Typical Elliot. Says all the right things, but nothing ever changes.

Iafeta

Referee
FMD I would have expected nothing less.

I'd rather not, dead or alive, thank you.

The point is this, how many times did you hear Brian McClennan say "They're trying hard", or Ivan Cleary say "We are not far away", only for another month of poor performances.

Max Power, I really couldn't give a toss what hang ups people have on Elliott as frankly thats irrelevant to what he's trying to do here. It seems some have a hard on hoping he fails to justify their criticism of what happened at the two prior clubs. Nevertheless, he extended it beyond taking responsibility and pointing out, in some detail, where the errors lay.

Latest posts