What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Panthers.

Meth

Staff member
I'd make a few changes

1- Fisiiahi
2- Laumape
3- Henry
4- Hurrell
5- Vatuvei
6- Leuluai
7- Johnson
8- Packer
9- Friend
10- Matulino
11- Mateo
12- Mannering
13- Lowrie

Res- Tuimavave, Taylor, Lillyman, Rapira/Matagi

Penrose11

Juniors
Tuimavave was pretty average IMO v dogs. Don't remember him busting a tackle or getting offload away. He was on the outside and took pass in our half that lead to Fishs try but he's certainly not impact from bench material.

I'd changes to our structure and team make-up. I'd keep our 4 prop rotation but add another prop to bench n play Matalino in 2nd row when Lowrie needs rest n 2nd half. Mannering n Mateo both play 80 mins. Godinet off bench for impact but give him the licence to run.

Fish
Laumape
Hurrell
Henry
Manu
Leulaui
Johnson
Packer
Friend
Matalino
Mateo
Mannering
Lowrie

Lilliman, Rapira, Matagi, Godinet

We need more muscle in middle of park who can hit in defence n not just be 3rd man in and dive around the ankles, offering zero in attack (Taylor)

Penrose11

Juniors
Though if Locke and Neilson both fit I'd bring them both straight back in at expense of Fish and Benry even though both had stellar games v dogs.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How far away is Sam Lousi from fitness? We're lacking size and offloads in the back row and he certainly provides both.

Blair

Coach
How far away is Sam Lousi from fitness? We're lacking size and offloads in the back row and he certainly provides both.

He often appears lazy and disinterested (well he did last year a lot). That's exactly what we don't want right now.

True though, he'd offer us some size and offloading. I last saw him in 2011 at Penrith playing U20s. He looked huge, we got thrashed. Penrith's my local park, I'll probably go this Saturday but it's still spending $60+ on a team we can only be 40% about winning.

I can't see Fish being dropped if Locke is fit. Remember, it's not the Locke of 2011. Laumape shoud have a run. If Elliott's attitude is to not rush him but rather play him here and there. Then this is one of those times for a here and there.

Tupou did naught on Saturday night so we won't feel guilty giving him a spell.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He often appears lazy and disinterested (well he did last year a lot). That's exactly what we don't want right now.

I thought he looked promising in his limited first grade opportunities last year- agree he could look lazy at U20 level at times though. He's certainly massive- looked like a 15 year old playing with the under 12s.

Cold Roses

Juniors

tbh This applies more to our front row. Imo anyway. I'd actually swap Rapira AND Lillyman for someone like Jesse Bromwich in an instant. Keep Matulino and Packer, get a quality big mobile prop like Bromwich who can bend the line, and then promote a few of the younger guys. Our much vaunted (in the media anyway) 4 prop rotation hasn't fired since the finals series 2 years ago. No disrespect, those guys try their hearts out, but one thing will never change about Rugby League, it's a battle for territory, and if your big guys are going forward, you've got a good chance of winning. Time for a change.

Cold Roses

Juniors
I'd make a few changes

1- Fisiiahi
2- Laumape
3- Henry
4- Hurrell
5- Vatuvei
6- Leuluai
7- Johnson
8- Packer
9- Friend
10- Matulino
11- Mateo
12- Mannering
13- Lowrie

Res- Tuimavave, Taylor, Lillyman, Rapira/Matagi

This as well. Except Godinet in for Tui. And Nielsen in if fit.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
This needs to be the week that Taylor drops down to the vulcans. His minutes seem to be decreasing so hopefully this week he drops down and hurrell and or Nielsen come in allowing Benry to get into the pack.

Meth

Staff member
This as well. Except Godinet in for Tui. And Nielsen in if fit.

My thinking was that we likely need cover out wide rather than in the spine. How many minutes did Godinet play on the weekend? 10?

Meth

Staff member
This needs to be the week that Taylor drops down to the vulcans. His minutes seem to be decreasing so hopefully this week he drops down and hurrell and or Nielsen come in allowing Benry to get into the pack.

I am hoping he plays out of his skin for Ivan this week.

Rich102

Staff member
tbh This applies more to our front row. Imo anyway. I'd actually swap Rapira AND Lillyman for someone like Jesse Bromwich in an instant. Keep Matulino and Packer, get a quality big mobile prop like Bromwich who can bend the line, and then promote a few of the younger guys. Our much vaunted (in the media anyway) 4 prop rotation hasn't fired since the finals series 2 years ago. No disrespect, those guys try their hearts out, but one thing will never change about Rugby League, it's a battle for territory, and if your big guys are going forward, you've got a good chance of winning. Time for a change.

Totally agree. We are losing games from the front.

Blair

Coach
I am hoping he plays out of his skin for Ivan this week.

You could take that both ways.

He did look shellshocked when he was taken off late during last Saturday's game. It was probably too hard for him, or something.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Totally agree. We are losing games from the front.

I still blame the back row more than the props. If you look at most teams with great go forward it's not just front rowers, you have at least one big guy who runs at the fringes and creates some havoc and draws a few defenders away from the middle. We don't really seem to have anyone doing that. That said Lilyman needs to lift his game and we need a fit Rapira back. Package and Mutts are both doing their jobs.

Cold Roses

Juniors
I still blame the back row more than the props. If you look at most teams with great go forward it's not just front rowers, you have at least one big guy who runs at the fringes and creates some havoc and draws a few defenders away from the middle. We don't really seem to have anyone doing that. That said Lilyman needs to lift his game and we need a fit Rapira back. Package and Mutts are both doing their jobs.

Don't disagree with your assessment of the need for dominating back rowers, but wasn't Mateo doing exactly this on Sat night? To my eyes he was anyway. And then Elliot inexplicably took him off. Right when he was having what was close to his best game of the season. Mind boggling.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Don't disagree with your assessment of the need for dominating back rowers, but wasn't Mateo doing exactly this on Sat night? To my eyes he was anyway. And then Elliot inexplicably took him off. Right when he was having what was close to his best game of the season. Mind boggling.

Yes, for the first in in quite a while, and it made a difference. The commentators mentioned as much. Agree he probably shouldn't have been subbed when he was. Then of course Frank the Tank ripped us a new one in the second half...

Blair

Coach
He was Vulcans player of the year...

Oh, he's a bloody good young player, no doubt. It's just my impression with him last year in first grade was he seemed a bit laboured.

That could just be a result of the general malaise of that team. He needs to have a decent run with a senior team on a roll.