What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Panthers

Meth

Staff member
Every time our front row forwards get beat up, we lose. They're simply just above average but only just.

Yeah, we're definitely vulnerable.

We just don't have that top prop to be the leader in the middle of the park, so we're vulnerable to a big, motivated pack rumbling up the middle of the park. Saw it with the Bunnies and the Sharks in particular and also with the Roosters.

The Panthers are reputably big- but will be struggling to put a team together this week. Merrin will be there. Tame shouldn't be, but seemingly will be. No Campbell-Gillard. Fisher Harris is going great in the middle of the park.

Seriously, if we're at all serious about playing finals footy, we should win this one.

JJ

Immortal
With the injuries and origin selections Penrith will be fielding a severely weakened team... not to mention they'd been in a slump, and there are rumblings about a Gould-Griffen rift

From what they could have had, all of Edwards, Mansour, Blake, Maloney, Cleary, McKendry, Campbell-Gillard, Wallace, Browne, Kikau, Tamou, Peachey all likely or definitely out - possible I've missed some

Simply a game we have to win, and win well

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
With the injuries and origin selections Penrith will be fielding a severely weakened team... not to mention they'd been in a slump, and there are rumblings about a Gould-Griffen rift

From what they could have had, all of Edwards, Mansour, Blake, Maloney, Cleary, McKendry, Campbell-Gillard, Wallace, Browne, Kikau, Tamou, Peachey all likely or definitely out - possible I've missed some

Simply a game we have to win, and win well
These are typically the games that we lose, or used to lose. If this revival is for real then you're absolutely right, we HAVE to win.

Meth

Staff member
So, obviously winning this game will be good. We would go ahead of the Panthers and go pretty close to securing a place in the 8.

Also, a very interesting match before this one- Dragons v Storm. Who do we want to win this one?

JJ

Immortal
Gould-Cleary history repeating itself?
don't know - the Cleary one was weird

Griffen is a bit of a myth I think, like Kearney - Smith and Gould in the background (Gould not so much in the background I guess) are fundamentally important in what's going on - Gould might be a prick in many people's eyes, but he has a football brain second to none

Still, we should win this in a doddle - I like May, but he's not played much this year, they're missing so much quality, we'd have to beat ourselves, surely - which for the most part we haven't been doing this year

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Griffen is a bit of a myth I think, like Kearney - Smith and Gould in the background (Gould not so much in the background I guess) are fundamentally important in what's going on - Gould might be a prick in many people's eyes, but he has a football brain second to none

Still, we should win this in a doddle - I like May, but he's not played much this year, they're missing so much quality, we'd have to beat ourselves, surely - which for the most part we haven't been doing this year
Griffin cops a bit of a bum rap for mine. Seems to have got decent results wherever he has coached. Coach is still the coach at the end of the day.

Pretty thankless job for some when you think about it, eg. if Panthers have success its coz Gus is hands on and is doing the majority of the coaching or the assistant is doing the coaching, if Panthers start losing its coz Griffin is a shit coach. Not much glory in it for him.

JJ

Immortal
Griffin cops a bit of a bum rap for mine. Seems to have got decent results wherever he has coached. Coach is still the coach at the end of the day.

Pretty thankless job for some when you think about it, eg. if Panthers have success its coz Gus is hands on and is doing the majority of the coaching or the assistant is doing the coaching, if Panthers start losing its coz Griffin is a shit coach. Not much glory in it for him.
Yep, I guess the counter is Griffin has had plenty of talent at Brisbane and Penrith

Key is how they work together, Griffin is coach, Gould has his role - much like Smith and Kearney - difference is Smith seems happy staying off the radar - Gould isn't built like that as you note - I've been clear I don't think Kearney is much of a coach, think I view Griffin similarly - but both situations seem to be succeeding at the moment, and the people around the coach are key in that imo

The trick is not going in over confident of an easy win.
Hopefully if we get to a lead we keep pushing for our points diff.
Let's not forget the refs as well. :)

Rich102

Staff member
I think before we start blaming the Refs. for the loss we should look at the number of penalties we gave away.
If you repeatedly offend you are going to be watched more closely.

Meth

Staff member
I think before we start blaming the Refs. for the loss we should look at the number of penalties we gave away.
If you repeatedly offend you are going to be watched more closely.

Do you think the 10-5 penalty count was justified? I don’t

Rich102

Staff member
When they give away the same penalties week after week you have to wonder.

sup42

Juniors
Ligi Sao about to be named in the team by the sounds of it....Silver linings with Harris and Afoa gone for 6 weeks.

Meth

Staff member
Harris and Afoa out for up to 6 weeks is a massive blow