What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v storm

Bazal

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Peoplehave to realise is that players like Paulo, Cannings aren't necesarily the right players to have playing against Melbourne. Smith will cause all sorts of problems for us and mobility and fitness is needed to combat his dummy half runs.

I think we'd benefit from having one of them in the side, I think to beat Melbourne we'll need relentless go forward off the bench as well as mobility. Ideally I'd pick Hauraki as he provides good go forward and mobility in defence, but I'd also like to see Cannings start and Moi Moi come off the bench. Cannings is very much a hard working metre maker and I think he and Cayless could set a good platform for Fui to come on off the bench, which will be important because Melbourne are the kind of side who will pounce on any change in momentum or intensity. By playing Cannings and Caylo at the start, we can easily up the tempo by bringing on Fui (and, in a perfect world, Hauraki). It also allows Mateo more freedom to attack IMO, if he has Fui off the bench making all the yards he can be there to take advantage of the quick play the balls Fui creates against tired opponents...

caylo

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
Peoplehave to realise is that players like Paulo, Cannings aren't necesarily the right players to have playing against Melbourne. Smith will cause all sorts of problems for us and mobility and fitness is needed to combat his dummy half runs.

For this reason i would say to hindy, your job is to contain Smith. I don't care if he doesn't takes a hit-up the whole game. If we limit his service from dumby half, we shut down Cronk, and Inglus. Their backs are good, but not spectacular and wont do much damage with poor service.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Bazal said:
I think we'd benefit from having one of them in the side, I think to beat Melbourne we'll need relentless go forward off the bench as well as mobility. Ideally I'd pick Hauraki as he provides good go forward and mobility in defence, but I'd also like to see Cannings start and Moi Moi come off the bench. Cannings is very much a hard working metre maker and I think he and Cayless could set a good platform for Fui to come on off the bench, which will be important because Melbourne are the kind of side who will pounce on any change in momentum or intensity. By playing Cannings and Caylo at the start, we can easily up the tempo by bringing on Fui (and, in a perfect world, Hauraki). It also allows Mateo more freedom to attack IMO, if he has Fui off the bench making all the yards he can be there to take advantage of the quick play the balls Fui creates against tired opponents...
Well said Baz, pretty much spot on IMO.

strider

Post Whore
let me just say - i think todd lowrie was very good in PL last saturday - if our top squad put in the effort he did we might have got a different result - he deserves his spot in that 20 man squad and if he plays like last saturday regularly and some others don't pull their fingers out he deserves a spot in the 17

Stagger eel

Staff member
Maroubra Eel said:
The bench is gonna be Cordoba, Cannings, and Marsh.

I dunno who will get the last spot.

JC should probably have a stint in reggies in the place of Junior imo.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
eelavation said:
JC should probably have a stint in reggies in the place of Junior imo.

Maybe, but I can't see Hagan going that way.

The fourth spot on the bench will be either Robbo or Wagon. Toss of a coin.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Bazal said:

Technically you're probably right in what you say. But the problem is we were seriously exposed against the Sharks up the middle, Cannings the main culprit & Fui and co weren't much better.

I think this move by Hagan is a safety first option, i sort've can understand his decision as to not playing Cannings & Paulo. Melbourne have tremendous finishes, and alot of the attack starts from Smith. We stop Smith then we stop Slater, Inglis etc.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
Technically you're probably right in what you say. But the problem is we were seriously exposed against the Sharks up the middle, Cannings the main culprit & Fui and co weren't much better.

I think this move by Hagan is a safety first option, i sort've can understand his decision as to not playing Cannings & Paulo. Melbourne have tremendous finishes, and alot of the attack starts from Smith. We stop Smith then we stop Slater, Inglis etc.

correct me if I'm wrong but bub didn't come on until the second half, is that right??

Ron Jeremy

Coach
caylo said:
For this reason i would say to hindy, your job is to contain Smith. I don't care if he doesn't takes a hit-up the whole game. If we limit his service from dumby half, we shut down Cronk, and Inglus. Their backs are good, but not spectacular and wont do much damage with poor service.

It's too hard to contain a hooker, each play. Yes maybe if he was a forward yes, but an important player like Hindy needs to be used marking up in the forwards against Johnston and co, i'd probably be more inclined to let Finch or Wagon do the trick. Wags has been pretty effective in the past stopping some key players.

The bottom line is holding the players down for as long as possible and not letting them get up for Smith to rove around. I'd resort to jerseys over head or pulling down there pants:lol: always works.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
correct me if I'm wrong but bub didn't come on until the second half, is that right??

True, but he was caught out a few times when on, Fui was bad in the first.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
True, but he was caught out a few times when on, Fui was bad in the first.

oh, I don't deny that just wondering what tactic Hages was trying throw at the opposition, you would of thought a big fresh guy like Cannings would of relished to play against a team who went through 80 + minutes of torture only 5 days ago.

it goes to show how off we were but at the same time how committed the opposition were.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
oh, I don't deny that just wondering what tactic Hages was trying throw at the opposition, you would of thought a big fresh guy like Cannings would of relished to play against a team who went through 80 + minutes of torture only 5 days ago.

it goes to show how off we were but at the same time how committed the opposition were.

No, we were just lazy around marker all game, everyone seemed to be guilty. Their were holes all over the place out of dummy half and everytime i looked up to see it seemed to be Cannings, Fui left in a heap.

I've noticed that our markers always get tangled up, alot of times, particulary Cannings he goes the same way as the other marker, this has to be recitified quickly.

Ben Smith is the centre has to also take some blame for defensive problems. Everyone is pointing at Eric, but alot of times Eric has had to come in because of poor reads of the men inside of him eg Smith & Finch

caylo

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
It's too hard to contain a hooker, each play. Yes maybe if he was a forward yes, but an important player like Hindy needs to be used marking up in the forwards against Johnston and co, i'd probably be more inclined to let Finch or Wagon do the trick. Wags has been pretty effective in the past stopping some key players.

The bottom line is holding the players down for as long as possible and not letting them get up for Smith to rove around. I'd resort to jerseys over head or pulling down there pants:lol: always works.

You want to contain a hooker... easy
Stop the go forward, and have two square markers every tackle. We have to dominate the forward battle, move up quickly off our line. Smith is good, Budderous killed us from dumby half, and Smith will do the same. We need to get players like Wagon, Hindmarsh, Ian or Robenson continualy at marker and holding off any advantage the dumb half will get. We need Cayless, Cordoba, Riddell, Tahu, Benny hitting the forwards at speed and stoping them. If we win the forward battle we win the game, end of story imo.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
caylo said:
You want to contain a hooker... easy
Stop the go forward, and have two square markers every tackle. We have to dominate the forward battle, move up quickly off our line. Smith is good, Budderous killed us from dumby half, and Smith will do the same. We need to get players like Wagon, Hindmarsh, Ian or Robenson continualy at marker and holding off any advantage the dumb half will get. We need Cayless, Cordoba, Riddell, Tahu, Benny hitting the forwards at speed and stoping them. If we win the forward battle we win the game, end of story imo.

Not as easy as it sounds, but yeah i agree Wagon, Robbo etc need to carefully monitior the ruck particulary Smith. The problem is the ref, i think Archer will let melbourne get away with it.

caylo

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
Not as easy as it sounds, but yeah i agree Wagon, Robbo etc need to carefully monitior the ruck particulary Smith. The problem is the ref, i think Archer will let melbourne get away with it.

Definatly, the solution is easy, implementing it is a little harder. Archer wont let us hang around the ruck, i think forward dominance, and winning the wrestle. If we can get quick play the balls early, and get them on the backfoot early in each half, that should be enough to keep them going backwards.

Utey

Coach
I used to think our marker defence wasn't that bad, but it's just starting to show how sh*t it is.

V1er

Juniors
I thought the sharks tatics in defence against the storm a couple weeks ago worked quite well, having 3 or 4 blokes in the tackle really didnt allow the forwards to get over the advantage line. Hopefully our defence is better this week than last.

Latest posts