What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Storm

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Same could equally be said for Johnson, but we bring him back in because, well, he's Johnson.

I don't disagree with doing that and I also don't disagree with your post. But it is RTS.
I think RTS’s ceiling is significantly higher than any of our other centres, and even slightly higher than our fullbacks. But we haven’t seen it at centre yet, or seen it at fullback for 3 years.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Couple of weeks back I wouldn’t have backed us against anyone bar the Tigpies, now I agree wet favourites against the Storm given who they’re missing…. Funny old game

Guys, where's a good place to watch the game in Wellington CBD?
Google says:
https://fourkings.co.nz/live-sports/#:~:text=Four%20Kings%20has%20been%20Wellington's,%2C%20racing%2C%20UFC%20and%20more.

Chatgpt says:
A good place to watch Warriors games in Wellington CBD could be sports bars or pubs that have multiple screens and show a variety of sports events. Places like The Green Man Pub or The Fox Sporting Bar & Restaurant could be good options. It's always a good idea to call ahead and ask if they'll be showing the game you're interested in.

Blair

Coach
Google says:
https://fourkings.co.nz/live-sports/#:~:text=Four%20Kings%20has%20been%20Wellington's,%2C%20racing%2C%20UFC%20and%20more.

Chatgpt says:
A good place to watch Warriors games in Wellington CBD could be sports bars or pubs that have multiple screens and show a variety of sports events. Places like The Green Man Pub or The Fox Sporting Bar & Restaurant could be good options. It's always a good idea to call ahead and ask if they'll be showing the game you're interested in.
Cheers Phil, sometimes it just takes a second pair of eyes to find a good spot. My search didn't find The Four Kings, but that's where I'm going.

I hope it's not a depressing walk home.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I tried the same on in Gisborne last week, couldn't find a TV in the town square area then headed off to one hell of a dive pub then gave up and watched the end in the AirBnb :D

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m home in NZ so I’ll be on mums couch doing the Super Rugby-Warriors double on Free to Air, and avoiding this place till I’ve watched the game!

Blair

Coach
I’m home in NZ so I’ll be on mums couch doing the Super Rugby-Warriors double on Free to Air, and avoiding this place till I’ve watched the game!
That sounds like bliss. I love being at mum and dad's in Ch.Ch. They love the Warriors. Wellington this time is just me and the mrs. No relatives, no mates, but deep nostalgia from living there 30 years ago.

I'm keen to see what the Warriors-vibe is like on ground level. Someone mentioned it here, we hear so much about the 'Wahs' but, in effect, does it really go off that much?

TheDMC

Bench
I'll have to watch it delayed too - will be enroute to Tokyo from Mongolia when it's on. Tough life I know.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Same could equally be said for Johnson, but we bring him back in because, well, he's Johnson.

I don't disagree with doing that and I also don't disagree with your post. But it is RTS.

I feel like RTS’s ceiling at this point in his career is being overstated but his ability to somehow f**k up the backline is also being overstated? Like, he wasn’t tearing it up at centre but I also don’t see how he was ruining the cohesion or anything. It was more that he wasn’t getting any good ball on the left, rather than that he was doing anything wrong.

I still just don’t really see what Pompey does better tbh.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I feel like RTS’s ceiling at this point in his career is being overstated but his ability to somehow f**k up the backline is also being overstated? Like, he wasn’t tearing it up at centre but I also don’t see how he was ruining the cohesion or anything. It was more that he wasn’t getting any good ball on the left, rather than that he was doing anything wrong.

Pompey is better at putting his winger away, I watched a video last night of our 2023 tries and it's clearly a skill he has over RTS. They might be pretty similar defensively but again I think Pompey is slightly better, RTS is clearly the better ball runner but isn't used to the lines required to be successful in that position.

You're right though, he wasn't getting any good ball so it's hard to analyse. I don't think anyone is suggesting he was f**king up the backline but I think it's a worthy discussion to say RTS doesn't just come back on reputation/star power.

If there is anything Pompey does better than RTS or adds to the game, it is his goal kicking. Defensively, he is pretty good in one-on-one situations, but he needs to work on his attacking reads from set movements. RTS has a higher ceiling and just needs to get into the groove with the team now that it is running a bit better. At this stage, I prefer Pompey, but Webby will most likely go for RTS. We shall see.

If there is anything Pompey does better than RTS or adds to the game, it is his goal kicking. Defensively, he is pretty good in one-on-one situations, but he needs to work on his attacking reads from set movements. RTS has a higher ceiling and just needs to get into the groove with the team now that it is running a bit better. At this stage, I prefer Pompey, but Webby will most likely go for RTS. We shall see.
Yep agree on both counts. And I think its worth remembering RTS has only played 9 games at center and with two different 6's alongside him, one of whom was really struggling to make an impact himself until recently.

So not only has RTS had to work with changing/misfiring combinations infield, he's had to do it while only just getting his own feet wet.

We're fortunate Pompey's been playing so well, and I'm stoked for him personally but I'm backing the RTS plan to still pay off for us.

That sounds like bliss. I love being at mum and dad's in Ch.Ch. They love the Warriors. Wellington this time is just me and the mrs. No relatives, no mates, but deep nostalgia from living there 30 years ago.

I'm keen to see what the Warriors-vibe is like on ground level. Someone mentioned it here, we hear so much about the 'Wahs' but, in effect, does it really go off that much?
As far as Auckland goes... plenty of good vibes at the ground obviously, and at different pubs and bars, but its not the mass hysteria event that some Aus media seem to think it is. Blues are also going well - which makes this a bit of a Twilight Zone year for Auckland footy fans - so the good vibes are being shared.

Dunno about Welly but with the Canes also going well, I'm guessing it'd be pretty similar?

Rich102

Staff member

Kick goals!

Blair

Coach
Kick goals!
Pompey also goes under the radar, I reckon. Of course there's reasons for that, not being awesome is one, but I still like it.

Can Pompey suck in a team that's firing? He has in the past but maybe those days are behind him.