What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Storm

The Colonel

Immortal
big angry mobile forwards

Ben Hannant, Brett White, Luke Bailey, Brent Kite and Luke Douglas are hardly big angry forwards but for their respective clubs this season they have laid a consistent platform among others for their forwards to follow. They are mobile and get through a hell of a lot of work.

They have had the added benefit of some very mobile backrowers who run the ball very well and make a lot of metres behind them.

Personally, our front rowers have done some very good work but aren't being consistently backed up by the backrow. When they have the team looks very good.

TheRam

Coach
Oh that is not in doubt, We don't have a blockbuster take no prisoners forward, however Fui showed glimpses of form last weekend in the last few minutes.

But you were stating that we need a big angry pack and highlighted that Brian Smith admitted that in 2002 and went for the Big pack in 2003 and 2004. The Problem with bringing that up is that it wasn't successful.

Our Success with a strong forward came in 2005 after we had lost the likes of Corey Pearson and Dean Tracey who were bought in to fill that role. Our Success came in the form of Paul Stringer. Who a number of people on this forum, and I will include myself in that, called "The Drummer in the Band".

Mate please read my post carefully. It is not size alone that is needed and that is not what I have stated. Quality size, aggression and mobility are the ingredients that I am referring to. That is not what B Smith brought to the club in 2003-4 after his initial player exodus decisions.

TheRam

Coach
Well that all revolves around the end of 2001 and the rule changes now doesn't it.

If the Rule doesn't change does Jason Cayless become a Premiership Winning NRL forward?

MITS, even back then under those rules, New Castle were big, but their qulity in aggression, Parsons and Kennedy in particular both tore us two new ones in that game, were the main reason why Johns and co nailed us in that game. We were a great team, but lacked that type of fire power and pure aggression.

MITS, even back then under those rules, New Castle were big, but their qulity in aggression, Parsons and Kennedy in particular both tore us two new ones in that game, were the main reason why Johns and co nailed us in that game. We were a great team, but lacked that type of fire power and pure aggression.

PLEASE :roll:

They Ran at Jason Taylor and scored 4 Tries from it. That is like saying Mason is a great forward because he runs at Wingers and Centres all his Career.

We will struggle at different stages of this game. We should win by 50+, but sadly that ain't going to happen. Also if Hagan isn't the worst coach in the NRL then he certainly is very close.

Where the hell are the gorillas up front Hagan? You fool. All you have to do is look at recent history in R Stuart when at the Rooster and even your predecessor here at Parra in 2003-4 I think. They quickly learnt from their blunders and will never repeat those fiascos again.

Do you need to fu*k us over, when it is so obvious to any half wit with working eyes that big powerful mobile forward packs are king, before you take heed of the painful lessons learnt by better coaches then you.

Take the hint loser and blood some young and angry fu*king raging bulls, moron!!

Mate please read my post carefully. It is not size alone that is needed and that is not what I have stated. Quality size, aggression and mobility are the ingredients that I am referring to. That is not what B Smith brought to the club in 2003-4 after his initial player exodus decisions.

Firstly Reading your Post Carefully is very hard as I don't have a crystal ball.

Sure you do refer to all of that, but smack in the middle of it, you refer to 2 years of abject failure, that Hagan is supposed to be looking at and comparing to now? Seriously I think you need to take a chill pill and settle down. We played the most aggressive and niggling pack of forwards in this years competition last week and lost from a penalty goal on the Siren because we showed some Raging Bull, Mobile agro. Sure we lose some size without Fui, but with Both Joe Galuvao and Junior Palo injured, who are you going to bring up? Brod Wright, Jeremy Lattimore? Even though I rate these two blokes, you honestly think they are Raging Bulls with Mobility and Speed?

TheRam

Coach
PLEASE :roll:

They Ran at Jason Taylor and scored 4 Tries from it. That is like saying Mason is a great forward because he runs at Wingers and Centres all his Career.

You can say what you like, but they dominated us in the forwards and worked Taylor over as a consequence. If our forwards had aimed up, then the traffic towards Taylor would not have been so dominant. For every inaction on the field there is punishment. ;-)

TheRam

Coach
Ben Hannant, Brett White, Luke Bailey, Brent Kite and Luke Douglas are hardly big angry forwards but for their respective clubs this season they have laid a consistent platform among others for their forwards to follow. They are mobile and get through a hell of a lot of work.

They have had the added benefit of some very mobile backrowers who run the ball very well and make a lot of metres behind them.

Personally, our front rowers have done some very good work but aren't being consistently backed up by the backrow. When they have the team looks very good.

Yes but look at the pack and team that the first two of those players played in the year they won the premiership. And as for the rest on your list they are still to do a lap of honour.

In saying that though, I rate Baily as the best on your list and it is unfortunate that he played for the Dragons while in his prime, another team that did not like the tuff stuff. Consistent and controlled aggression from the pack is what is needed to win a Grand Final.

We do not have that in our team at the moment, and we will not until Hagan wakes up (if ever) and makes the necessary changes.

Gronk

Staff member
So Ram who in the NRL DOES rate as a big angry forward worthy of your team ? When Hagan wakes up, who should be his priority angry forward signings ?

TheRam

Coach
Firstly Reading your Post Carefully is very hard as I don't have a crystal ball.

Sure you do refer to all of that, but smack in the middle of it, you refer to 2 years of abject failure, that Hagan is supposed to be looking at and comparing to now? Seriously I think you need to take a chill pill and settle down. We played the most aggressive and niggling pack of forwards in this years competition last week and lost from a penalty goal on the Siren because we showed some Raging Bull, Mobile agro. Sure we lose some size without Fui, but with Both Joe Galuvao and Junior Palo injured, who are you going to bring up? Brod Wright, Jeremy Lattimore? Even though I rate these two blokes, you honestly think they are Raging Bulls with Mobility and Speed?

Ok then, if you don't think that they are capable and obviously neither does Hagan, or any other front rower in the club, then what the hell are we doing about this.

Piss them off and with a bunch of others that he obviously does not rate, and buy someone that he does. Oh that's right, it's to late now there is no one of quality available now, and we don't have any money left because we have tied it all up in our un rated juniors. :crazy:

Ok then, if you don't think that they are capable and obviously neither does Hagan, or any other front rower in the club, then what the hell are we doing about this.

Piss them off and with a bunch of others that he obviously does not rate, and buy someone that he does. Oh that's right, it's to late now there is no one of quality available now, and we don't have any money left because we have tied it all up in our un rated juniors. :crazy:

So firstly Hooray we got to the Crux of your argument, Maybe if you said the last paragraph in the first place, I would not have had to reply 3 times to figure out the meaning of the Post. TBH it is an argument I have heard for many years now, yet most of the time I have heard it, the year after we are playing in a Grand Final Qualifier.

As to the Highlighted section, I rate a few of the front rowers at the club, They are all quite young in terms of career, and I think we will see them blossom in the next few years. However as I have said previously Joey G and Junior are Injured, who would you have bought up? Tim Mannah, injured and no NRL Experience which is what would be affecting the call ups for Both Brod and Jeremy. So who? If you answer that is why we need to buy more then that will be the weakest argument I have ever heard. We suffered a very bad day last Sunday, but it is only now being realized.

Moi Moi Suspended. (1 Week)
Paulo, Medial Ligament Strain (4 -6 I think I heard)
Galuvao, Calf Strain.

3 Big pigs, 3 Gorilla's, and what happened, they are all on the injured list. You do that to any club and they will look thin up front.

TheRam

Coach
So firstly Hooray we got to the Crux of your argument, Maybe if you said the last paragraph in the first place, I would not have had to reply 3 times to figure out the meaning of the Post. TBH it is an argument I have heard for many years now, yet most of the time I have heard it, the year after we are playing in a Grand Final Qualifier.

As to the Highlighted section, I rate a few of the front rowers at the club, They are all quite young in terms of career, and I think we will see them blossom in the next few years. However as I have said previously Joey G and Junior are Injured, who would you have bought up? Tim Mannah, injured and no NRL Experience which is what would be affecting the call ups for Both Brod and Jeremy. So who? If you answer that is why we need to buy more then that will be the weakest argument I have ever heard. We suffered a very bad day last Sunday, but it is only now being realized.

Moi Moi Suspended. (1 Week)
Paulo, Medial Ligament Strain (4 -6 I think I heard)
Galuvao, Calf Strain.

3 Big pigs, 3 Gorilla's, and what happened, they are all on the injured list. You do that to any club and they will look thin up front.

What the hell are you talking about. First you need a crystal ball, now you sort of got it, and still you sound lost.

So here goes. If we can not blood a good strong up and coming front rower against this Storm team and think he can cope reasonably well, well then how good can the shrinking violet be. Come on I thought you had some sense. If he is good enough....

Oh by the way how old are Brod and Jeremy?

What the hell are you talking about. First you need a crystal ball, now you sort of got it, and still you sound lost.

So here goes. If we can not blood a good strong up and coming front rower against this Storm team and think he can cope reasonably well, well then how good can the shrinking violet be. Come on I thought you had some sense. If he is good enough....

Oh by the way how old are Brod and Jeremy?

They are a year away I think.

AILD

Bench
planning on going this weekend.

was wondering, i read that parramatta run free bus service from the station to the ground on game day, where abouts at the station does the bus pick up and how often?

Bazal

Post Whore
No you are right on with the Years and yes he addmitted that at the end of 2002 that the "Total Football" plan that worked so well in 2001 was flawed so he started to recruit as you so elequently put it, Gorillas.

The Problem with that is, in 2003 and 2004, we finished out side the top 8. 2003 we finished 9th and 2004 we finished 12th. These are the only 2 times in the recent history (Since 1997) that we have finished outside the top 8.

To be fair, there is a huge difference between "gorillas" the like of Moi Moi, Galuvao and Paulo (for example) and the likes of Corey Pearson, Steve Crouch, Willie Leyshon, Mal Kaufusi, Chris Muckert, etc