What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teams: Saints v Manly

Willow

Assistant Moderator
CharlieF said:
We have been in 3 Semi Finals series in the last 10 years.
Woo-hoo.
Excuse me... I sometimes have trouble containing my excitement.

Dutchy

Immortal
FFS whats with all the bitchin?

Dragons = FTW!!! - No reason to hate. Love for the ARL Stayers!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Willow said:
The real question to ponder: is Gasnier going to be playing any differently to previous weeks?

No, and thats the good thing.

Gas will be roaming, and have a proper 5/8 AND 1/2 inside him to set up his plays.

What Gas struggled with IMO was not only being the line breaker he is, but having to set up his own plays. What the team lacked was ball when Gasnier was trying to do the playmaking himself and trying to break the line also.

Essentially, Gasnier just needed to be given free reign like Blacklock. Putting him in 5/8 was never going to achieve that and I'm glad Brown has finally realised this.

Dave Q

Coach
The Preacher said:
I'm old fashioned, Dave. I don't arrive, I cum. Do you sweat, perspire or glow, David ??? ;-)

My dear Mr The Preacher...

Such rude and tepid remarks directed at matters untoward and unseemly of nature serve no other useful purpose, other than being a belated distraction, of the considered opinion, I have reached in the course of considering the question of, whether or not St George Illawarra can beat Manly Warringah this weekend.

I recall that at several points during the season, young Brown was being described as a "absolute bounder" and Doust was labelled a "cad."

That was understandable at the time. I too joined that chorus of dissent (most unwittingly) myself.

My contribution here was merely to point out that on balance and after all things considered, the Saints recent good form has rescued the season from one in which the club came perilously close to disaster into one that "passes muster."

And I drew attention to the broader consequences of this, that being that Brown and Doust can and will rely on this season's standard performance in support of their continued tenure in their respective roles.

Of course this submission is, well, merely academic for us citizens of the league who support the rabbitohs.

That latter point is a situation which, well, is entirely agreeable to me.

After watching the Charity Shield, I think we were all expecting the two clubs to feature in this years finals.

Alas one of us has fallen, but that is perhaps not due to the carriage of the club's affairs by Doust or indeed the forensic coaching shortcomings of Brown.

Oh, and before I forget, I imagine I will experience something close to your descriptions when Souths reclaim our divine right to play finals football!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dutchy said:

Very nice words.

Its weird, but Manly and St George are the two teams to admit to soft takeovers.

To Manly's credit, they made it official... which imo gives them more balls than the St George DRLFC. No offence to Norths.

Manly have reclaimed their ordinary history... I mean this as no disrespect, Manly-Warringah have been a great club.

But compared to St George, Manly's history is best described as a contribution.

This is why we have a dilemma.

Manly supporters will cream themselves over the 61-0 thrashing in 1994 - a loss which Saints supporters suffer every time it is mentioned.

But we are then expected to accept that our club only started in 1999. Go figure.

When in f**k's name are the NRL and the footnote holders going to realise that we have history which goes beyond the accountant's recollection of events?

As I said, it is a dilemma... they (the NRL) are hoping it will go away.

_Johnsy

Referee
willow

funnily enough it is only an issue with other clubs supporters, those clubs who envy the mighty red V

big pat

Coach
Dutchy said:

hello dutchy good luck on sunday and for the finals, there would be no bitching if dickfloss,charlie f/wit didn't come on to other forums and make dumb comments, that they cant back up.

Dave Q

Coach
I dont know when saints joined, I'm not going to cheat, I'll guess.

I think youse were big in the fifties, allow the war and depression.

My guess is that Saints commenced in the 1920's or something.

The Illawarra Steelers joined in 1982 I think, long overdue.

Lets say a kind stranger came up to me and asked me to nominte a few former Saints/Illawarra players.

Off the top of my head, I'd nominate these:-

Mick Bolt, Neil Pincinelli, Andy Gregory, Bob Lindner (whom in my view was the best player Ive ever seen), Ryan Girdler, Ian Rusell.

Bartrim, Langlands, Raper, Stone, Reddy, Craig Young, Ainscough, Thompson, Wes.

The NRL is only of recent invention. It will pass one day for a new comp called something else.

You can call white, black and black, white... but it doesnt work.

A duck is a duck is a duck

I and everyone I know cannot fail to recognise the rich history and great tradition of both of these fine clubs.

Theres nothing uncomfortable or wrong about that.

I think that Saints have won 15 premierships, the closest team to Souths.

How did I go?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dave Q said:
I dont know when saints joined, I'm not going to cheat, I'll guess.
Cop out No. 1.

Dave Q said:
I think youse were big in the fifties, allow the war and depression.
I wasn't so big in the 50s... I'm told I'm twice the man now.

Oh, you mean Saints... well add a few other decades to that and you'll be getting closer.

Dave Q said:
My guess is that Saints commenced in the 1920's or something.
1921 in first grade. But a St George DRLFC was formed in 1908.

Dave Q said:
The Illawarra Steelers joined in 1982 I think, long overdue.
Actually I agree with this. In 1967 they put forward an excellent bid to join the Sydney Comp but were overlooked.

Unbelievably the NSWRL went for Cronulla-Sutherland... an area of limited potential and with a pathetically small junior base. At the time it was seen as the wrong option by some... and those people have been proven right.

Dave Q said:
Lets say a kind stranger came up to me and asked me to nominte a few former Saints/Illawarra players.

Off the top of my head, I'd nominate these:-

Mick Bolt, Neil Pincinelli, Andy Gregory, Bob Lindner (whom in my view was the best player Ive ever seen), Ryan Girdler, Ian Rusell.
You forgot Alan McIndoe.

Definitely players of class... the Rex Terp class that is.

Dave Q said:
Bartrim, Langlands, Raper, Stone, Reddy, Craig Young, Ainscough, Thompson, Wes.
Barto came from the Gold Coast.

Langlands is a product of the Illawarra.

He thinks the club should be called St George, and he considers Kogarah to be the true home ground. But he also thinks the Illawarra is a 'great backyard'.

Changa's views on this are an excellent advertisement for commonsense.

Dave Q said:
The NRL is only of recent invention. It will pass one day for a new comp called something else.
Yep. And they still claim the NSWRL records since 1908. Figure that one out.

Dave Q said:
You can call white, black and black, white... but it doesnt work.

A duck is a duck is a duck
This is the point where Dave uses the keyboard as a sounding pad.

Dave Q said:
I and everyone I know cannot fail to recognise the rich history and great tradition of both of these fine clubs.

Theres nothing uncomfortable or wrong about that.

I think that Saints have won 15 premierships, the closest team to Souths.

How did I go?
Pretty good :thumn

God-King Dean

Immortal
Willow said:
Indeed, not only is he playing in the centres for real, but he is also wearing the number 3 jersey again.

That should make some folks happy.

I don't get what your gripe is with everyone calling him a 5/8th cuz he was wearing 6. He was a roving centre, sure, we relise that. But the way he is played when wearing #6 is clearly the wrong way. I'm quite sure the 3 will keep him at right centre.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
God-King Dean said:
I don't get what your gripe is with everyone calling him a 5/8th cuz he was wearing 6. He was a roving centre, sure, we relise that. But the way he is played when wearing #6 is clearly the wrong way. I'm quite sure the 3 will keep him at right centre.
I don't get your gripe that you think I have a gripe.

He's wearing number 3 this weekend. Maybe he'll play differently. Maybe.

P.S.

Gaz was named at centre last Monday. One of our tries came from a bust he made up the centre of the park....

big pat

Coach
why oh why do we have to put up with this crap, now excluding dave Q he seems a decent person, but why do we have to put up with these other wankers who have nothing better to do than come on, constantly reminding us that saints have won nothing, and that we have only being formed since 1999,st george or illawarra what ever they want to call us have been around a lot than some of these wankers have,and if they dont like that than screw them, ST GEORGE FOREVER.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Pat, the funny thing is that Manly supporters are trying to erase/overlook the Northern Eagles thing from the record books. Steve Menzies for example... his record was always at the same club as far as Manly are concerned. Personally I think that's fine because the club should be in control of their own history. The NRL licence always belonged to Manly (as the NRL licence belongs to St George)

Godz Illa

Coach
Willow said:
P.S.

Gaz was named at centre last Monday. One of our tries came from a bust he made up the centre of the park....
And there were periods during the game where he caught nothing but a cold at right centre so he had to go looking for the ball at first or second receiver. The balance was still not quite right but it rests somewhere between five-eighth and roving centre, and is getting there. The bust up the middle was a beautiful thing.

Latest posts