What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telstra Stadium:It is not a football ground.

chunk

Juniors
Timmah said:
If you went to the 2003, or 04, 05, 99, 00, 01, 02... you'd know it's one of the best grounds. It takes a big event, but it's worth it. Hell, even Bulldogs home games rock IMO.

I went to the '05 Grand Final and a number of SOO including last night and the World Cup Rugby Semi and it just doesn't cut it when it comes to world class stadiums.

Only the premium seats is where you get a good view.

A big city like Sydney deserves better...an 80 000 seat stadium made for League, Union and soccer.

A feeling that your on top of the action, part of it. Cardiff Arms style....

Hutty1986

Immortal
Telstra gets a lot of flack, but with the right crowd, the atmosphere is just fantastic

I was there in the 04 Decider for Fittlers last game and it was a sell out, just a great night

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The Telstra topic always comes up after a lucklustre game that the crowd just wasn't into.

mulvihill

Juniors
It's a poorly designed stadium. The problem is the lower tier slopes too gradually. In UK grounds in particular the tiers rise a lot more steeply meaning everyone is closer. Best seats at Telstra is front row on level 4. The rest is sh*te

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
IMO we need a 100k rectangular stadium to service Soccer and League, seeing as how the FFA has signed to play all future matches (4 whastever period of time) in Syd

Trevor Cogger

Juniors
I still cant work out why they designed it like it is with low tiers on the ends and extremely high on the sides, the uneveness loses atmosphere with the sound not staying within the ground. Its not like they had no room like the SFS. Look at the great grounds of the world, Cardiff, San Siro, Nou Camp soon to be finished Wembly none of them have this stupid saddle shape of Telstra

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
mulvihill said:
It's a poorly designed stadium. The problem is the lower tier slopes too gradually. In UK grounds in particular the tiers rise a lot more steeply meaning everyone is closer. Best seats at Telstra is front row on level 4. The rest is sh*te

That design feature makes it one of the safest stadiums in the world ;-)

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
would it be possible to saayy double the size of Aussie Stadium???, just asking abt the infrastructure and stuff, becoz League needs its own stadium.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Compared to Telstra, Aussie's location itself is shocking. While the public transport is a dream, it take 50 minutes on average to get out of the Moore Park precinct if you drive, then depending on your direction, you need to navigate the city.

mattyg

Bench
Aussie's public transport isnt even good. It has to be about 3km from the nearest station and the buses are shocking. I like Telstra but maybe another stadium does need to be built..100k might be a bit over the top, i doubt they could design a stadium into a rectangle with that many seats. 75K would be good. They could build it in liverpool i reckon

mattyg

Bench
taxpayers..lol. Telstra originally took about 690 mill to build...its a state of the art stadium...i reckon for 500 mill they could build a 75-100K stadium. But within 20 years or something ticket sales or something could probably pay off the debt.

Nickeel

Juniors
mattyg said:
I like Telstra but maybe another stadium does need to be built..100k might be a bit over the top, i doubt they could design a stadium into a rectangle with that many seats. 75K would be good. They could build it in liverpool i reckon

That sounds like a rugby league Oasis.

Nick

chunk said:
I know this has been mentioned before but I can't really cop that place. It lacks atmosphere even when full and you need a pair of binoculars to see anything.

Mr Tool.

If you dont like a ground dont go!

Binoculars! Rubbish I've even been up the top tier at a GF and the view was pretty good from there?

Anything else.... No well f**k off then!

The Business

Juniors
chunk said:
I know this has been mentioned before but I can't really cop that place. It lacks atmosphere even when full and you need a pair of binoculars to see anything.

Whoever designed that place is an idiot.

Its obvious they built that place for the Olympics and forgot about everything else and the future.

It is not a football ground and now we have to put up with the joint for the next twenty years.

another sad thing is that it's built for AFL.

I reackon they should build another ground in the mould of Lang Park or Cardiff.

We shouldn't have to put up with that crap.
I've been to the Nou Camp in Barcelona. This is a true football ground. Even when you are up the back you are almost on top of the field.

Telstra Stadium was poorly designed in this regard.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Timmah said:
Have you been up the back at Telstra?

Apart from the climb it is fan-fugging-tastic.

The stand is really steep up the so you do feel on top of the action. The roof really traps the crowd noise up there too. It was really rocking for the 05 GF.

t-ba

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Compared to Telstra, Aussie's location itself is shocking. While the public transport is a dream, it take 50 minutes on average to get out of the Moore Park precinct if you drive, then depending on your direction, you need to navigate the city.

A train station for Fox Studios is part of the Christie plan. The Carr Govt shot that down a few years back (It'd cost an INSANE amount of money), but clearways and the New Hills District line are essentially ripped off from it! I reckon the Aussie Stadium Line will be built in ohh...the next 30 years or so:lol:

A new Stadium Would be Nice though. Not sure where you could build it though. Liverpool is simply too far away for the corporates in Eastern Sydney.