What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telstra Stadium to hold Australia's Tri-Nations match

Lantana

Juniors
Telstra to host Tri Series match

26 May 2005

The Australian Rugby League Board has voted to take a Rugby League Tri Nations match to Telstra Stadium for the first time.

The board today confirmed that the Test between the Kangaroos and the Kiwis on the weekend of October 15/16 will be played in Sydney.

The ARL considered a number of venues for the match which will be the first in the 2005 Tri Series between Australia, Great Britain and New Zealand.

"The interest in the Tri Series last year was incredible and Telstra Stadium provides fans with the chance to experience the intense competition that is building at international level," ARL chief executive, Mr Geoff Carr, said today.

"It will be the first time we have played a Test in Sydney since 2003 and the first at Telstra since 2000.

"This will be a real opportunity for fans to send the Kangaroos off to the UK in style."

The dates for the Tri-Nations currently stand as:

15/16 October Aust v NZ Telstra Stadium, Sydney

21/22 October Aust v NZ New Zealand

29 October GB v NZ England

5 November GB v Aust England

12 November GB v NZ England

19 November GB v Aust England

16 November Final England

Ambitious and ballsy, the ARL have given us the opportunity to get out and support the game. I imagine they won't be expecting a sellout, however with the likes of SBW, Benji and a host of others playing, following a 43K crowd in QLD, we could hopefully expect a crowd of 60K+. This would be sensational.
Cue doomsdayers about size of venue blah blah balh.
Shut the f**k up and get your tickets and lets fill this bastard.

DIEHARD

----
Oh sh*t it is game on! We got to fill the bugger!

And we need to start promoting NOW. We can not fill 80,000 seats with a walk up crowd!

I hope they promote it massively at the NRL grand final and State of Origin 2.

This is a massive step and not one I thought of taking until next year! With Tri Nations 2006 down under.

The game has to get behind this!

The time is perfect for the debut of the Kangaroo Army at the Tri Nations game 1 match. It is time to get to work, stay tuned!

ali

Bench
Maybe there should be some ticket deal incorporating Grand Final tickets.

Anyway it's probably the best call financially. Telstra seems to give clubs some good offers so maybe it came up with the best offer for the test.

It was probably the best choice. Melbourne would have been an interesting experiment, with the races on the same weekend, but may have failed. Brisbane have had their share of big events for this year. The SFS already has the cricket match next door so parking would have been a nightmare.

They need to start selling tickets ASAP and get Telstra stadium heavily involved in promoting the match at all other fixtures until the Test Match. But knowing the way we promote International RL, I wont expect to hear a word on this next month when I am out there for the Origin.

Here's hoping SBW and Benji stay injury free, Hunt changes his mind, the Warriors make the finals and Bradford get knocked out of the Super League finals early. Then we may be able to hype this up ridiculously.

DIEHARD

----
ali said:
Here's hoping SBW and Benji stay injury free, Hunt changes his mind, the Warriors make the finals and Bradford get knocked out of the Super League finals early. Then we may be able to hype this up ridiculously.

So true.

I reckon Telstra probably made the ARL a good deal, like the Tigers or Bunnies one. They might do some promotion to get people through the gates as well.

DIEHARD

----
Let us also remember how fantatic last years Tri Nations opener was between the Roos and Kiwis! Imagine that in front of 80,000!

ali

Bench
I just contacted the NRL through www.nrl.com and told them I expect wall to wall promotion of this match at next month's Origin. It would be good if a few others could contact them also.

southsman

Juniors
I'm definitely going along with at least of my friends... International football is going to be great, especially if we can do it every year and not a few games here and there. The pride of the Australian jumper should at least get 60 into Telstra. If Benji and Sony Bill and fit the clash will be a tasty one.

DIEHARD

----
It will also allow us to raise the bar in terms of hype and atmosphere for the tournament.

Will the increased gate takings go to the RLIF or ARL?

Playing the game in Sydney at Telstra sure beats the hell out of us playing a game in London!

It is fantastic that all three participating countries can host a match.

carlnz

Bench
well ethier way you can count on a near sell out at Ericsson Stadium for the return match!! The crowd loved Sonny Bill at last years test!

winnyason

Juniors
this is a very big call, for the admin sake let's hope sbw, ali & benji are available i would think it would attract around 50,000 if all are available.

teltra dome would have been better option.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Now that I look at it, its probably a good idea since there's no other sport competiting that weekend.

Should play it on a Saturday night, promote it during the season and also have a big promotion at the Grand Final.

Imagine a test with Lockyer, Slater, Bowen, O'Meley, Mason, Hindmarsh

And New Zealand would have Marshall, SBW, Big T, Frank Pritchard, Karmichael

Tickets would sell out fast.

Stevo_G

Juniors
its gotta be played on a saturday night , live all around australia except sydney unless it does sell out
and arl must promote the match ffs

Jeffles

Bench
I'm allowed to be a doomsdayer because I actually buy tickets and go to games. I can hang sh*t on those that don't turn up.

My thinking is that TS is cheaper than the SFS plus the ARL were wary of taking an out of season game interstate. Fair enough.

I hope there is a good fill up of the venue. Over 35,000.

Incorporating Test tickets into tickets for other big ebents is a good idea.

maelgwnau

Juniors
Stevo_G said:
its gotta be played on a saturday night , live all around australia except sydney unless it does sell out
and arl must promote the match ffs

Sydney is The Capital for Rugby League and ur saying it should not go live into sydney

Hindyscrack

Bench
I think it will struglle at Telstra unless there is massive promotion.

Only 40,000 at Suncorp earlier this year for a pretty ordinary game.

Latest posts