What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan / Hunt - Explain that.

saintmar

Juniors

Wow I think this exchange and the way the players just capitulated in this game for the first 65 minutes will result in Flanno not extending Hunt. Flanno was hopeful of Hunt being the guy to help steer the team to good things this year, but alas he hasn't on top of the poor defensive coaching of Dean Young.
Lucky our attack is lik a well oiled machine

matPORTS

Juniors
1. Garrick
2. Saab
3. Averillo
4. Wishart
5. Bostock

The speed and size of this 'Dragons Juniors' back five is way better than what has been running out this year, including Lomax and the back ups (+ four out of this five are capable goal kickers as well). At a stretch, maybe I'd keep Lomax instead of Averillo - but no one in the current squad is safe from my wrath today.

How on gods green earth did we ever let this happen???

Again - as I've alluded to in other posts/threads... if we can't sign another capable outside back + another capable forward (be it a middle or a edge) - get Hayden Buchanan and Dylan Egan into the top 30 ASAP.

We can't keep letting this happen while we sign mentally incapable rubbish who are only coming for a pay cheque.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
I've been saying since the first request for a release to let him go. I really like Flanno and what he is trying to build, I just hope he doesn't chose this hill to die on. It wont end well.
Yeah I agree with you and I too would have just let the sook go and lived with the consequences and tried to rebuild this year. Kyle at 7 and whoever floated to the top as 6. I would have copped that and a lower position on the ladder for the freed up salary cap space and the chance to hunt (pardon the pun!) some better forwards and potentially a 6 or 7 that was a better match for our club.
Having said that, I really do understand why Flanno felt like he had to keep him here in his first year. I think most coaches would have done the same thing in his position. We were a better chance of moving up the ladder with him in the team. So I get that. However I would stripped the captaincy off him for the shameful way he behaved last year and given it to someone like S'ua. Then pressure the crap out of Hunt's manager. Ben wants out? Well go and find us a replacement.

I really feel for Flanno in year one. He had a massive mountain to climb. Trying to undo over a decade of bewildering incompetence by a board that had left us with possibly the worst roster in the NRL and made us a destination that no player worth his salt wants to come to. I think poor Flanno has been stuck this year with a lot of round pegs and square holes scenarios and he has just tried to do his best with the terrible roster he inherited. I haven't agreed with every decision he has made but for the most part I understand why he made them (with the exception of continually picking Lawrie).

As for Hunt, what a waste of an era this has been. The club threw all their eggs into one basket for a soulless imposter whose "wonderful" stats completely cover over the fact that he is a terrible game manager, has a weak kicking game and is a piss weak captain who fails in every single clutch moment he is presented with. I can literally remember only one game in the entire time he has been here that he has genuinely led from the front and that was this years Melbourne game. One game in how many years?!?!?!?!?
But the commentators will always talk up his Origin moments and his misleading try assists stats.
I doubt there's anything to the drama that the media is drumming up after the dressing room scenes the other day but I will never be sad to see the back of Hunt if something happens over the offseason. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Ben.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yeah I agree with you and I too would have just let the sook go and lived with the consequences and tried to rebuild this year. Kyle at 7 and whoever floated to the top as 6. I would have copped that and a lower position on the ladder for the freed up salary cap space and the chance to hunt (pardon the pun!) some better forwards and potentially a 6 or 7 that was a better match for our club.
Having said that, I really do understand why Flanno felt like he had to keep him here in his first year. I think most coaches would have done the same thing in his position. We were a better chance of moving up the ladder with him in the team. So I get that. However I would stripped the captaincy off him for the shameful way he behaved last year and given it to someone like S'ua. Then pressure the crap out of Hunt's manager. Ben wants out? Well go and find us a replacement.

I really feel for Flanno in year one. He had a massive mountain to climb. Trying to undo over a decade of bewildering incompetence by a board that had left us with possibly the worst roster in the NRL and made us a destination that no player worth his salt wants to come to. I think poor Flanno has been stuck this year with a lot of round pegs and square holes scenarios and he has just tried to do his best with the terrible roster he inherited. I haven't agreed with every decision he has made but for the most part I understand why he made them (with the exception of continually picking Lawrie).

As for Hunt, what a waste of an era this has been. The club threw all their eggs into one basket for a soulless imposter whose "wonderful" stats completely cover over the fact that he is a terrible game manager, has a weak kicking game and is a piss weak captain who fails in every single clutch moment he is presented with. I can literally remember only one game in the entire time he has been here that he has genuinely led from the front and that was this years Melbourne game. One game in how many years?!?!?!?!?
But the commentators will always talk up his Origin moments and his misleading try assists stats.
I doubt there's anything to the drama that the media is drumming up after the dressing room scenes the other day but I will never be sad to see the back of Hunt if something happens over the offseason. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Ben.
Nice report there since77.

How is a halfback so bad leading the league in try assists and that with a backline of slugs just asking
Hunt never let's his halves partner control the game so he has the ball most of the time. Our plan for a few years has been hit up one out for 5 tackles and kick for Lomax. Good teams now let Lomax catch the ball and then tackle him. We rarely have more than 1 person as an option to receive the ball. Need a couple of runners to put doubt in the defence.
How good would it be to have two energetic halves. Storm and Panthers are great examples of energy and dummy runners.
Please move Hunt on.

BLM01

First Grade

If you go back and listen to Flanno last year when first questioned he only ensured Hunt would be here this year not to the end of 2025 contract as things were going to be revisited at the end of this year
I see a lot happen over this off season.

since77

Juniors
How is a halfback so bad leading the league in try assists and that with a backline of slugs just asking
You obviously don't watch the games. His stats are impressive on paper but they are entirely misleading.
There's a reason Ben is picked at hooker for the rep teams. There are plenty of available halfbacks that are much, much, much better than Ben.

TheRev

Coach
I think Ben as a running 6 is rly something.. hes quite dangerous when hes running the ball with options... and he has had a lot of luck with grubbers in recent times.. but as a game manager not so much.. he is someone in a different multiverse could have been a really good fit perhaps.. but I think he was not meant to be a 7 nor a captain.. and I dont know if we can undo that part now... I dont know what 7 would be able to manage him, especially if he gets stripped of the captainship.. I cant see him handling that.