What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Tommy Smith

Referee
Djokovic’s defence and this court speed is rough for Delpo. What would normally have been winners aren’t going through the court.

Djokovic playing wonderfully too.
Yep. His return of serve is simply unbelievable.

But this court speed is almost French Open level. Delpo can barely get a ball past him even with that forehand and he looks utterly demoralised.

Djoker is playing at a very high level and playing some good attacking tennis at times; but tbh he could simply defend his way to the title as well, so slow is the surface.

Tommy Smith

Referee
And lol at Serena turning this into a women's rights issue.

She is more horrible than I ever realised.

What an over privileged sook; taking a giant shit on all the 100s of millions and even billions of women in the world who genuinely do suffer through a lack of rights.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Congratulations to Ash Barty for her break through Grand Slam women's double title, after previously being a finalist in all the four slams it was great to see her finally win one, hopefully more to come for her.

Danish

Referee
It was an epic meltdown.

And the umpire was left with no choice.

I'm not sure what's more shameful - Serena's conduct or that of the crowd.

It should have been a scene of overwhelming jubilation for Osaka but instead she was made to feel awkward.

@Danish are New Yorkers as bad as their US Open crowds suggest?

Probably worse to be honest. US open crowds are f**king disgraceful.

As for Serena, I genuinely hope the French crowd boo her. She deserves it

Meth

Staff member
I don't know much about tennis, but Serena playing the victim here is ridiculous. I don't know whether she's playing the race or the gender card- I suspect it's the latter- but she just had a public meltdown and was deservedly penalised.

Timbo

Staff member
I feel like Williams may have severely misread the public mood on this one.

I'm yet to see a single article in support of her, and most articles are pointing out that she's always been a bit of merkin, it's only now the tennis supporters of the world have decided to call her on it.

Just a real class act.

bileduct

Coach
It's f**king incredible how many people are supporting this idiot and trying to say that men like McEnroe were never punished for anything.

So now all the identity politics geniuss are moving on to how the press has responded, saying that it's sexist to call her "hysterical" and nobody would ever say that about someone like McEnroe.

A simple Google later...

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/24/sports/mcenroe-is-fined-1500-and-warned-of-being-suspended.html

A British tabloid consulted a clinical psychologist who said McEnroe was a "hysterical extrovert."

Danish

Referee
It's f**king incredible how many people are supporting this idiot and trying to say that men like McEnroe were never punished for anything.

So now all the identity politics geniuss are moving on to how the press has responded, saying that it's sexist to call her "hysterical" and nobody would ever say that about someone like McEnroe.

A simple Google later...

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/24/sports/mcenroe-is-fined-1500-and-warned-of-being-suspended.html

A British tabloid consulted a clinical psychologist who said McEnroe was a "hysterical extrovert."

There’s an article on the SMH today written by a chair umpire who handed down point and game violations to McEnroe.

My dad has been a tennis fan since he was a kid, and he tells me during McEnroe’s career he was absolutely hated in tennis media and on the tour. The only people who liked him were dumbass yank crowds.

It’s just revisionist garbage by 2018 shrieking social media morons, the vast majority of which have never watched a single match Williams has played in their lives

bileduct

Coach
There’s an article on the SMH today written by a chair umpire who handed down point and game violations to McEnroe.

My dad has been a tennis fan since he was a kid, and he tells me during McEnroe’s career he was absolutely hated in tennis media and on the tour. The only people who liked him were dumbass yank crowds.

It’s just revisionist garbage by 2018 shrieking social media morons, the vast majority of which have never watched a single match Williams has played in their lives
I'm old enough to remember McEnroe's games. He was always regarded as being childish.

It's hilarious because these same idiots are sharing around a GIF of McEnroe smashing up his drinks table saying he was never punished.

Except when you watch the video with audio and you can clearly hear him getting a code violation for racquet abuse and he loses a game.

LatK7

First Grade
If he keeps going like this he has another 10 grand slams in him.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think he leads both Federer and Nadal in head to head.

Nadal is next in sight. But he still needs 4 to eclipse Nadal. May seem easy now, but things change quickly. Djokovic has just come off being routined by journeymen for the past two years.

GOAThood (if determined by slam count) at this stage means 7 more slams, assuming Fed is done. Not easy for a guy already 31. The next season will be interesting. One thing is for certain, if Djokovic remains fit he will be a constant threat at the USO with these new slower courts. If the AO courts revert to their pre-2017 speeds then things will get very, very interesting.

t-ba

Post Whore
Congrats to Naomi Osaka.

Anyone who answers a Journo's question about their future ambitions with Pokemon theme song lines deserves much success.

bileduct

Coach
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...nishment-double-standards-undeniable/10222688

Clear cut double standards! says the ABC. Sexism!

One of the examples given is that Murray didn't lost a point for accusing Ramos of "stupid umpiring". Perhaps that's because the code violation that he did get for accusing Ramos of "stupid umpiring" wasn't his second code violation.

How is this even journalism anymore? And this woman is supposed to be a sports journalist too.

saint.nick

Coach
Unsurprising that wide rimmed trash journos in New York Times and etc have endorsed Williams' pathetic action, or at least deflected it to some apparent misogyny.

saint.nick

Coach
Probably worse to be honest. US open crowds are f**king disgraceful.

As for Serena, I genuinely hope the French crowd boo her. She deserves it
Because New Yorkers are f**king entitled loudmouths. You live there so you may differ in opinion, but i was there for 10 nights and it took me a few days to get used to the locals.

Danish

Referee
Because New Yorkers are f**king entitled loudmouths. You live there so you may differ in opinion, but i was there for 10 nights and it took me a few days to get used to the locals.

No you are spot on.

I’m in San Francisco these days. Much more relaxed on the west coast

Tommy Smith

Referee
I didn't see the ceremony from the start but did they really boo Osaka when she lifted the trophy?

If so then what a truly putrid mob they are. So differing to our crowds.

Even the treatment of Novak who is a genuine legend of world sport and has never been little less than a gentleman; it was totally unnecessary.

Jacqueline Magnay this morning went to town on her. Said the umpire was left out to hang in the breeze by the tour officials.

Latest posts