What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

saint.nick

Coach
The american reaction to this cartoon has been an embarrassment.

"It's racist because it exaggerates her big african american lips!"
- lol. No. African Americans are fair game to have their own physical features exaggerated just like everbody else. Besides, isnt your anger about this actually a physical stereotyping of African Americans? Not that its wrong, but youd call it racism if uttered from another persons mouth.

"Okay but its still racist because they made Osaka look like a white girl!"
- again, no. Knight brushed Osaka with exactly the same tone as Williams. Also compare her skin colour to the colour he gave the Caucasian Ramos up on the Umpire chair - they are completely different shades. He coloured her hair blonde because she f**king dyed half of it blonde.

And JK Rowling needs to shut the f**k up and stick to writing about broomsticks.

bileduct

Coach
Man, I don't think any single incident such as this has brought so many geniuss out of the woodwork. Just check out the comments section on any article, completely full of idiots rewriting history with nonsense like "McEnroe was never punished for anything!" and "no man has ever been docked a game". It's f**king amazing that we live in an era where just about any news article or video from the last few decades is instantly available on the internet and people are still so horribly misinformed. It's not often that I feel this level of dismay for humanity.

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
Man, I don't think any single incident such as this has brought so many geniuss out of the woodwork. Just check out the comments section on any article, completely full of idiots rewriting history with nonsense like "McEnroe was never punished for anything!" and "no man has ever been docked a game". It's f**king amazing that we live in an era where just about any news article or video from the last few decades is instantly available on the internet and people are still so horribly misinformed. It's not often that I feel this level of dismay for humanity.
Dismay is the best word to describe my feelings about this. Some of these dumb c words were probably lapping up public ridicule no.634033 of Kyrgios only just the other week.

bileduct

Coach
Dismay is the best word to describe my feelings about this. Some of these dumb c words were probably lapping up public ridicule no.634033 of Kyrgios only just the other week.
It's so f**king dumb.

The best argument they can come up with seems to be "but men say much worse things!" which seems to ultimately equate to them swearing or name calling.

Hoooooly f**king shit. The woman has directly impugned the integrity of an official, calling him a liar and thief and inferring the dude was sexist. She also threatened to have the guy blackballed twice. FFS. McEnroe got pinged for calling an umpire a jerk. Murray got pinged for calling an umpire stupid. There was a Russian dude that was ejected from an ATP tour event not long ago for inferring that an umpire was biased against him on the basis of race.

But Serena was just defending herself from an unfair accusation of cheating!

FMD.

Apey

Staff member

lol honestly, you have to be pretty game to draw something like this. I agree with the sentiment, she acted like a complete buffoon and I can't stand her, but my first thought was there is definitely some racial element to this drawing.

The yanks love to jump on this shit though because of how embarrassed they are about their history and are always desperate to show everyone how much they've changed by tut tutting the rest of the world.

Tommy Smith

Referee
lol honestly, you have to be pretty game to draw something like this. I agree with the sentiment, she acted like a complete buffoon and I can't stand her, but my first thought was there is definitely some racial element to this drawing.

The yanks love to jump on this shit though because of how embarrassed they are about their history and are always desperate to show everyone how much they've changed by tut tutting the rest of the world.
Haha I don't disagree with any of that. I think I like it because it's got the holier than thou Yankees knickers in a twist.

You're right about the historical roots, btw. Similar to how they worship their soliders which I believe is a result of just how awfully they treated returning Vietnam vets.

bileduct

Coach
The cartoon was stupid. It was always going to generate outrage. I don't have any doubt the cartoonist knew what was coming.

In other news, MSNBC has a debate about the controversy involving a diversity hire feminist and someone that actually knows something about sport. It goes pretty much as you'd expect.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
If I ever meet the cartoonist I’d buy him a beer..

Seriously when I watch the news these days sometimes I just want to palm myself in the face.

Everyone has to have an opinion on everything and it’s standard that you have to be outraged at the drop of a hat... Political correctness rules the world and social media is the driving force of its stupidity.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
The cartoon was stupid. It was always going to generate outrage. I don't have any doubt the cartoonist knew what was coming.

Why because he drew a black person misbehaving??

I still haven’t seen one decent argument about what can be even remotely construed as rascist about it?

If it’s the way she is drawn, anyone who is familiar with his cartoons and those style of cartoons in general knows they over exaggerate the persons features to add to the mockery of the situation.

For the record I am actually a Serena fan and I understand her frustration in the situation, but there is no doubt she went over the top.

Just pisses me off some dude draws what is supposed to be a funny doodle and then gets labelled a rascist internationally.

bileduct

Coach
Why because he drew a black person misbehaving??

I still haven’t seen one decent argument about what can be even remotely construed as rascist about it?

If it’s the way she is drawn, anyone who is familiar with his cartoons and those style of cartoons in general knows they over exaggerate the persons features to add to the mockery of the situation.

For the record I am actually a Serena fan and I understand her frustration in the situation, but there is no doubt she went over the top.

Just pisses me off some dude draws what is supposed to be a funny doodle and then gets labelled a rascist internationally.
To me, as soon as I looked at it, the lips and tongue reminded me of Sambo cartoons.

If I'm going to make that immediate connection when I don't otherwise have any issue whatsoever with the concept of the caricature of a black woman misbehaving, I'm pretty sure that those with a bit more sensitivity are going to have a problem with it.

Maybe there's some merit in the argument that in today's PC climate it's more important than ever to push those buttons, I just think the cartoonist is being a bit naive if he didn't anticipate the backlash.

saint.nick

Coach
To me, as soon as I looked at it, the lips and tongue reminded me of Sambo cartoons.

If I'm going to make that immediate connection when I don't otherwise have any issue whatsoever with the concept of the caricature of a black woman misbehaving, I'm pretty sure that those with a bit more sensitivity are going to have a problem with it.

Maybe there's some merit in the argument that in today's PC climate it's more important than ever to push those buttons, I just think the cartoonist is being a bit naive if he didn't anticipate the backlash.
We need to use common sense to determine the intent of it. Sambo cartoons were designed to mock black people for being black people. Knight clearly isnt trying to mock black people, he drew big lips because she does have big lips, and it is useful to demonstrate a big whingeing mouth. Just because african americans find something racist doest mean it is actually racist.

bileduct

Coach
We need to use common sense to determine the intent of it. Sambo cartoons were designed to mock black people for being black people. Knight clearly isnt trying to mock black people, he drew big lips because she does have big lips, and it is useful to demonstrate a big whingeing mouth. Just because african americans find something racist doest mean it is actually racist.
I never said it was racist. I said it was always going to cause outrage because of the similarity to Sambo cartoons which you admit were designed to mock black people for simply being black.