Tennis

Discussion in 'Other Sport and Pastimes' started by AusKnightRKO, Jul 4, 2015.

1. umina panther

umina panther Coach

One really classy Fed fan screamed out "Federer!!!!" before someone served last night

2. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Very silly to based the decision of the best ever only on slams won but hey as I said its the last place Fed fans have to hide

3. mozza91

mozza91 First Grade

Don’t understand how anyone doesn’t like Federer?

The guy is all class, on and off the court. As are Nadal and Djokovic. Just appreciate that you’ve seen all 3 play rather than shit on one because you prefer another.

RL The greatest game likes this.
  4. LatK7

LatK7 First Grade

Weeks at #1, tournaments won, wtf’s, % wins against the field, etc all play into it...and at this stage Djokovic still has a way to go and should eclipse a few of these. Fed still has a fair bit to ‘hide’ behind.

5. Wizardman

Wizardman Bench

It is the best single barometer of a players career....beats weeks at number one, smaller tournament wins etc. The slams are what these four champions (three guys plus Serena) play for. I get the feeling once Serena beats Court's record, she'll be close to putting the racquet away.
    Im a Fed fan but far from being a Novak/Rafa hater. I'll concede that Novak has a 50-60% chance of overtaking Fed's 20 slams. To me, that is a huge compliment to Novak as willing six slams is no easy task. His window of opportunity is now to score another three slams within 2019-2020. If he does that, the record is likely to fall his way.

6. Avenger

Avenger Referee

7. umina panther

umina panther Coach

8. Avenger

Avenger Referee

I think he is slowly starting to win over the general public. I’m paranoid I know but I think there may be some anti-Serbian sentiment especially amongst the US audience. Not so much here.

9. Valheru

Valheru First Grade

Shame about his wife.

10. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Right now, Novak is way ahead of Nadal and Fed

I was lucky enough to have good seats for both semis and the final, and he was hitting the ball so accurately it’s quite scary

Rafa was off his game yes, but Novak was unplayable

RL The greatest game and some11 like this.
  11. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Federer’s best chance is Wimbledon, he might get to the final but if he has to play Novak he’ll lose

He has to rely on someone else beating Novak, and that doesn’t look like happening any time soon in a slam

12. LatK7

LatK7 First Grade

Well yes, even at Wimbledon, if you're Fed you'd expect this to be the case playing the #1, 6 years your junior, at age 38.

A lot can change quickly. Fed's extremely old and will likely struggle through the slams this year. Nadal, who knows. Djokovic has shown vulnerability to some of the next gen players outside the slams, even after his comeback. Bo5 I think he'll handle them comfortably for the next season or so.

13. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

Here's how I currently break them down at their peak on each surface:

Grass: Federer
    Slow hard: Djoker
    Fast hard: Federer
    Clay: Equal

I'm comfortable taking Federer over Djoker on fast hard courts as he dominated the USO when it was faster. He also won two AOs in his mid 30s on faster courts. And he's also won 7 Cincinnati Masters, including giving Novak some beatdowns at his peak.

Djoker has a strong chance to overtake Fed on Clay. If he wins another FO he clearly will; but even a couple more Masters will give him that title. He arguably already is ahead but I have their 2012 FO encounter in my mind.

As for slow hard courts..., Djoker is way ahead. The USO was at its slowest ever last year. And the AO slowed this year too, with heavier balls. If this trend continues then Djoker could win 22+ slams as he's unstoppable on slow hards.

14. LatK7

LatK7 First Grade

Agree with all of this. Assuming you mean 2011 RG - Fed's GOAT display over Djokovic. 2012 was the error fest.

The USO has opened up massively for Djokovic now. The courts are absurdly slow, so as long as his body holds up, it's his to lose.

15. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

The 2018 USO was blue clay. Worse in fact because it didn't have the cushion of clay. The surface broke Nadal's body.

But this GoaT debate shows once again how people get caught up in the moment.

Federer in his mid 30s beat 30yr old Nadal four times times in a row on hard courts in 2017. The last three were beatdowns.

Indian Wells - where he destroyed Nadal in playing one of his best ever matches - then also Miami and Shanghai. He didn't lose a set, or his serve, in these matches. And that's at 35 against his arch nemesis who match up wise has Fed's OHBH to target.

So it's not as through Djoker is the only one capable of thrashing Nadal.

I'd like to see Novak at 35 years old do that to 30yr old Nadal. Let's see if Novak is even playing at 35 for starters.

On a side note I recall seeing Federer beating Novak in a set 6-0 in a Cincinatti Masters final when Fed was older than Novak is now; so he's dished out his share of pain and humiliation to Novak, too.

Lord knows what the 2004-2007 version of Fed could have done to Novak on fast hard courts.

LatK7 likes this.
  16. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

I agree with people getting caught up in the moment
    Too many variables to determine goat status, but at their peak and how far ahead from the pack is subjective

One thing Novak has going for him is as he’s going into his 30s, the younger generation isn’t stepping up to challenge him

Federer didn’t have that luxury, plus he also competed at the back end of Agassi/Sampras era

LatK7 likes this.
  17. Avenger

Avenger Referee

Federer won his first 7 slams with plenty of inconsistent players around him that were not in the same league as some of the greats. He capitalised on a lull in quality and good on him.

Djoković has never had that luxury.

18. LatK7

LatK7 First Grade

Exactly. Fed’s has the misfortune of being chased by two ATGs. There’s no one in sight right now, nor has there been for the past few years. Huge advantage to Djokovic.

It’s a shame Soderling and Del Potro were so unlucky with injury/medical issues. They would have been great rivals for Djokovic and Murray. Even Murray the poor sod was set back a couple of years with that back injury.

19. LatK7

LatK7 First Grade

Del Potro, Tsonga, Anderson fit that description nicely. So does Stan...who Djokovic should never have let beat him three times in slams.

20. Avenger

Avenger Referee

Stan is better than those other two bums.