What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

LatK7

First Grade
Med's press conference was sadder than I thought it'd be, he seems beyond crushed. He knows how badly he screwed that up. Losing from 2-0 3-2 0-40 up...poor guy, but 3 next gen players have lost like this in a major final in 3 consecutive years. Grim.

horrie hastings

First Grade
What a roller coaster, i had the match on but at times was doing other things, after the first set i thought Med would win in straight sets but the second set when Rafa was up 5-2 i went away to do something and came back and Med had taken the 2nd set 7-6 and i thought that is it. Did Med choke or did Raf bring out all his fighting qualities, probably a bit of both but no way Raf should have gotten that far recovering from the foot injury and having covid, a great testament to the mans fighting ability and that will probably go down as his greatest Grand Slam win just through his tenacity and fighting ability and not through the overall quality of tennis ( even though the quality of most of it was excellent ). Glad i was able to stay awake to see the end of it, thought Raf had blown it when serving for it 5-3 up in the decider then losing serve, so glad he held his nerve.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Med's press conference was sadder than I thought it'd be, he seems beyond crushed. He knows how badly he screwed that up. Losing from 2-0 3-2 0-40 up...poor guy, but 3 next gen players have lost like this in a major final in 3 consecutive years. Grim.
RDT_20220131_0249123477648200652553402.jpg

Big ol rip.

Not that unheard of for next gen though. And even after this he had plenty of opportunities to get back in front.

LatK7

First Grade
Did Med choke or did Raf bring out all his fighting qualities

Both. Med gave a clinic in poor shot selection and made no adjustments when Nadal managed to find his range. He had no answer to very weak defensive backhand slices from Nadal and no idea what to do with short balls which Nadal kept coming up with. Slightly flatter hitting on both wings would've kept Nadal out of it. Even when he broke back to 5-5 in the 5th, he was easily broken the next game, horrid stuff. What makes it so bad for Med is that if that level Nadal showed up in the AO finals any prior year, he would've been demolished.

horrie hastings

First Grade
It would have been great if some of our past champions were commentating for Ch9. It was a joke having a yank and a pom do it.

Many years ago ch 7 had Wendy Turnbull and Pam Shriver doing a lot of the commentary, they both offered great insight into the games especially since both of them had been not been long retired from playing.
Even though i didn't particularly like Shriver as a player her commentary and insight to the game along with Wendy was excellent.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Both. Med gave a clinic in poor shot selection and made no adjustments when Nadal managed to find his range. He had no answer to very weak defensive backhand slices from Nadal and no idea what to do with short balls which Nadal kept coming up with. Slightly flatter hitting on both wings would've kept Nadal out of it. Even when he broke back to 5-5 in the 5th, he was easily broken the next game, horrid stuff. What makes it so bad for Med is that if that level Nadal showed up in the AO finals any prior year, he would've been demolished.

Yes some of the shot selections from Med were bewildering, as you Nadal's backhand slices were fairly weak but Med still didn't have a clue of what to do with them or the short balls that Nadal hit.

Apey

Staff member

I don't think anyone would deny Medvedev is quite a better hard court player than Nadal at this point in their careers. On paper he should have smashed him, and it was looking like that's what was going to happen after the second set. A combination of nerves and physical exhaustion from Medvedev and Nadal's sheer determination is what decided the result in the end. Nadal's serve was garbage in the final which is odd because he used serve botted his way out of the QF.

Yes I am a fan but I don't think it can be understated what Nadal accomplished here. Medvedev was overwhelming favourite to win the entire tournament, he's ranked #2 in the world and is neck and neck with Djokovic as the form player of the world.

Djokovic had an almost identical opportunity at the US Open that Nadal had here and couldn't get it done. Not only that, he got straight setted. Same opponent, similar surface (same type), similar slam records at stake (calendar slam being the difference), one of the biggest threats missing from the tournament (obviously Nadal at US Open isnt anywhere close to Djokovic at Aus Open, but still Nadal is no slouch there).

Of course it doesn't make Nadal the GOAT but damn it does make his win all the more impressive. He was determined as f**k to get that 2nd Aus Open after all the previous heartbreak.

LatK7

First Grade
I don't think anyone would deny Medvedev is quite a better hard court player than Nadal at this point in their careers....

Agree with everything you said. It was inspiring stuff from Nadal, incredible fight.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I don't think anyone would deny Medvedev is quite a better hard court player than Nadal at this point in their careers. On paper he should have smashed him, and it was looking like that's what was going to happen after the second set. A combination of nerves and physical exhaustion from Medvedev and Nadal's sheer determination is what decided the result in the end. Nadal's serve was garbage in the final which is odd because he used serve botted his way out of the QF.

Yes I am a fan but I don't think it can be understated what Nadal accomplished here. Medvedev was overwhelming favourite to win the entire tournament, he's ranked #2 in the world and is neck and neck with Djokovic as the form player of the world.

Djokovic had an almost identical opportunity at the US Open that Nadal had here and couldn't get it done. Not only that, he got straight setted. Same opponent, similar surface (same type), similar slam records at stake (calendar slam being the difference), one of the biggest threats missing from the tournament (obviously Nadal at US Open isnt anywhere close to Djokovic at Aus Open, but still Nadal is no slouch there).

Of course it doesn't make Nadal the GOAT but damn it does make his win all the more impressive. He was determined as f**k to get that 2nd Aus Open after all the previous heartbreak.
Joker played him at the end of the season while Nadal played him to start of the year. Still very impressive at his age, both are going to finish well ahead of Fed

Federer had plenty of nobodies where he took majors in the early part of his career. Legends like Nalbandian, the Scud and a 40 year old Agassi. Give me a break!!

Novak is the GOAT and no amount of Federer wankerism can challenge that now. Novak will soon be the player with the longest weeks at number 1 and has a better head to head record against Nadal and Federer. I don't mind Rafa but Federer is the Sugar Ray Leonard of tennis. Disputed by plenty.

Respect and kneel to the King!
Novax no play

Rod " Rocket" Laver is the GOAT- World number one from 1964 to 1970 - Won 200 tournaments- Won all 4 Grand Slams in the same calendar year twice- Barred from playing any of the Grand Slams for 5 years after turning professional at the End of 1962

Apey

Staff member
I think Djokovic is the best player we've seen, whether or not he gets vaccinated might decide who has had the best career when all 3 are said and done.

Some fans bizarrely like to use Nadals clay dominance against him even though he has won 8 slams not on clay which would be one of the highest slam counts by itself. It's not that different to Djokovics 12 on hard and 8 elsewhere. Until recently, Nadal had the highest ATP win% across all matches. Djokovic overtook him. Edit: actually theyre both tied on % right now.

Their head to head is actually very close with both of them dominating on their favourite surfaces and being tied on grass. Admittedly, it'd be more in Djokovics favour if they had met more on grass (especially now). Still, their last Wimbledon match in 2018 was pretty damn close.

Nadals career has also unfortunately been much more injury plagued than the other two. Since Djokovic played first slam he has only been absent from one. Nadal has missed 11 since he played his first (although no French) including at least 3 during his peak.

Federer will always be the most popular if not the best. I think the main argument against him is his head to head with both of them. I'm not sure you can be the greatest if you have a losing record to both. The argument against this of course is he has 5 years on both of them. Thats no small disadvantage.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
I think Djokovic is the best player we've seen, whether or not he gets vaccinated might decide who has had the best career when all 3 are said and done.

Some fans bizarrely like to use Nadals clay dominance against him even though he has won 8 slams not on clay which would be one of the highest slam counts by itself. It's not that different to Djokovics 12 on hard and 8 elsewhere. Until recently, Nadal had the highest ATP win% across all matches. Djokovic overtook him. Edit: actually theyre both tied on % right now.

Their head to head is actually very close with both of them dominating on their favourite surfaces and being tied on grass. Admittedly, it'd be more in Djokovics favour if they had met more on grass (especially now). Still, their last Wimbledon match in 2018 was pretty damn close.

Nadals career has also unfortunately been much more injury plagued than the other two. Since Djokovic played first slam he has only been absent from one. Nadal has missed 11 since he played his first (although no French) including at least 3 during his peak.

Federer will always be the most popular if not the best. I think the main argument against him is his head to head with both of them. I'm not sure you can be the greatest if you have a losing record to both. The argument against this of course is he has 5 years on both of them. Thats no small disadvantage.
I love Fed, but he is not the greatest now. The argument is between Novak and Rafa now. Both have strong cases.

Smug Panther

First Grade
As a vaxxed Novak fan I respect the f**k out of his stance. He could have so easily had the Serbian government falsify fake documents but he's a man of his word. He's the GOAT no matter what happens going forward from the Big 3, he is clearly the best player and theirs not 1 sane argument against it.

Avenger

Immortal
As a vaxxed Novak fan I respect the f**k out of his stance. He could have so easily had the Serbian government falsify fake documents but he's a man of his word. He's the GOAT no matter what happens going forward from the Big 3, he is clearly the best player and theirs not 1 sane argument against it.
I’m his biggest fan but he is still a f**king idiot for not getting vaccinated. There are now alternatives which are more in line with traditional vaccinations. So he doesn’t believe in vaccination for himself but he is ok for us mere mortals to get it done and make the world safer? Give me a f**king break.

And another thing it’s easy to stand on your principles when you have about $300m to fall back on. Let’s see how he goes when Peugeot and Lacoste both French companies are not represented by him in the French Open. Let’s see his re$olve then.

Bazal

Post Whore
Such a shame

He is the GOAT but he's always had a bit of madness in him, and unfortunately he's either listened to some really dumb people or lost it totally.

Will cost him indisputable GOAT status and turn him from a divisive but popular player into a ranting outcast by the time he wraps up.

What a waste

Apey

Staff member
Djokovic has always been a nutter really. His covid vax stance while maybe the most costly is really the least insane of his beliefs.

His dream of leading the Slam count isn't over yet. French is a maybe, Wimbledon a probably. Wimbledon is probably his best chance for a slam this year as none of these other guys rising to the top are grass courters.

US and Aus most likely not unless restrictions loosen in the next couple of years. His biggest competitor in Nadal is long past his best (as much as I enjoyed his win here) and body could break down for good any minute.

He is the only player in the top 100 not vaccinated now though which is wild.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Nadal beats Mev 6 -3 6 -3 on hard court in their next match together. Nadal becoming a bit of a hurdle for Med. 5 - 1 record in Nadal's favour, all on hard courts I think.

Latest posts