What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Wizardman

First Grade
The GOAT. The gap continues to grow, simply the best to ever do it
I'd think that Rafa still has a say in how things go.......for now.

But, there are definite levels between Novak/Rafa and any other tennis player in history. Many, many levels! Novak too good in the crunch!

Avenger

Immortal
A bit of justice beating a smug Aussie after all the bullshit that happened to him earlier this year.

Valheru

Coach
The kyng's tremendous season continues, into the final of the 500 event in Washington.

It's a shame he got no points for that wimbledon run as he would be deeply entrenched in top 20. As it stand he still won't be seeded at the US open but a reasonable run at either of the next 2 masters events will change that. He has a tough draw in Montreal though with a likely 2nd round date with Medvedev.

Valheru

Coach
And he gets the job done for his 7th title. He also wins the doubles with Jack Sock.

Hopefully he goes deep in one of the 2 masters tournaments over the next 2 weeks and secures a seeding for the US Open where I think he is a legit chance of winning.

Valheru

Coach
Kyrgios beats Medvedev, the form is real. On the live rankings he would now be seeded at the US open.

He has a real chance to go deep in this masters tournament now. Demon up next which is interesting as they have always avoided each other until this point.

Valheru

Coach
The kyng through to the QF at US Open after dismantling Medvedev!

That is the best performance of his career IMO. In the 3rd and 4th sets he legitimately turned the screws against the world number 1 and pushed him all around the court securing double breaks in both sets.

If he plays 3 more matches like that he wins the tournament.

LatK7

First Grade
Very clever performance from Nick. He robbed Med of time and gave him no rhythm. Great to watch. Med can really struggle against play like that, clueless with serve & volley too with that silly return position.

Apey

Staff member
Good chance to win it all now and our Serena slayer in the women's won her next match too.

Honestly this is Kyrgios best chance so far for a Single's slam. No Djokovic, just knocked out the favourite, Nadals form is sketchy and so is Berettini's who is a good hard courter.

He should make the final and the only way I could see him losing that is if Nadal kept improving back to his form earlier in the year.

Valheru

Coach
Good chance to win it all now and our Serena slayer in the women's won her next match too.

Honestly this is Kyrgios best chance so far for a Single's slam. No Djokovic, just knocked out the favourite, Nadals form is sketchy and so is Berettini's who is a good hard courter.

He should make the final and the only way I could see him losing that is if Nadal kept improving back to his form earlier in the year.
What about Alcaraz?

Yet to drop a set

Apey

Staff member
What about Alcaraz?

Yet to drop a set
Yeah I forgot about him. Kyrgios is the better hard court player though. Alcaraz would probably have the mental edge even at his age. That would be a great final actually.

On current form I'd have Alcaraz making the final. Nadal does have a habit of getting better as a slam goes on or rather, he continues to find solutions in his old age.

Neither of them have actually played anyone decent yet so its hard to say. Alcaraz in better form imo, but Nadal has oodles of experience.

Apey

Staff member
Well, Nadal is out. Disappointing but 22 - 1 in the majors this year is not half bad.

Alcaraz can become the youngest ever world #1 if he makes the final (and Ruud doesn't) which seems likely.

LatK7

First Grade
Anyone’s slam. New slam winner with Cilic gone. Sinner and Alcaraz almost blew it but on they go.

Tiafoe played a great match, nice to see him hold it together. Nadal looked pretty horrible at times but it’s a new normal for him unfortunately. He has an amazing ability to make it difficult for opponents even when little is working for himself.

Apey

Staff member
There will be a first time Grand Slam champion at the end of the US Open. It's easily the most open slam - nobody in the Men's has defended their title successfully since 2008 (Federer - 5 in a row). No other slam has had more than 2 consecutive winners who weren't Nadal, Djokovic or Federer since 2004 (French - Nadal started 2005).

Apey

Staff member
Another favourite in Nick bites the dust.

Tiafoe winning would be a great feel good story. Alacaraz winning would see him the youngest #1 ever. Ruud would be the funniest (gets #1 winning his first 500+ tournament + kyrgios shit on him for being a clay only player).

Not sure who I'm on honestly.

LatK7

First Grade
Ruud winning a major and/or being world #1 sounds completely ridiculous. Of all the players…he’s a real shot though, Khachanov can be beaten.

disappointing for Nick, that third set screw-up was bad. That was his time to take it away from Karen. Karen played well, solid as a rock from a guy who can lose the plot at times.

weird era for the sport, another major with guys you’d expect to be at the business end of the odd 500 tournament.

Valheru

Coach
Sucks for Nick, I don't think the cooler weather and slower court helped in the end.

The post match was the biggest positive, it seems he genuinely wants to win a major now which is different to previous years. If he keeps playing at this level he will give himself numerous chances over the next few years.