What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T'eos Tackle

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
having watched it and re watched it, he did make clear contact with the head and that is a big no no nowadays and for good reason. He will get a couple of weeks for what use to be thought of as a great hit. The way NRL is going sooner or later the shoulder charge is going to be ruled out unfortunately, but when a player makes contact with another head it can cause serious long term damage.

Packy

Bench
At least the same charge as Pritchard without any mitigating circumstances such as falling. Probs 1 week.

As for the Blair on Wallace thing. I have only seen it once but it looked very soft? Unless I am thinking about a different tackle.

josh1111

Juniors
Concussion happens when the brain, for lack of a better way to describe it, ricochets around in the skull. A heavy enough body blow can do the job, as long as the impact causes that as well. It may have been the initial contact, or it may have been from hitting the ground.

Personally I did not see anything wrong in the tackle itself,and whether it was a Bronco or Storm or Rabbitohs or whatever else player I would be saying the same thing. However, the match review committee has drawn a line in the sand on the issue, and I would expect Te'o to be getting about six weeks- not because there was necessarily anything wrong with what he did, but because the standard has been set and his appears worse due to Groats' concussion.

No chance of 6 weeks, he has clean sheet probably get 1 week.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
As for the Blair on Wallace thing. I have only seen it once but it looked very soft? Unless I am thinking about a different tackle.

In some ways the Blair one was worse, as Wallace was not bracing for it. A so called cheap shot. Apparently the Blair one is ok as no accidental contact was made with the head.

What happens if Wallace hits his head on the ground due to the force? Different story then, or still ok? Blair got lucky that Wallace didn't get a concussion out of it.

The way the rules are headed is that shoulder charges will have to be banned from the game, as there was certainly no intent from Teo to make contact with the head.

Big Pete

Referee
Agreed GTB, hence the thread in the NRL thread.

All this concern about concussions I believe will lead to the demise of the shoulder charge, whether it's high or not because I don't believe you need to hit somebody high in such a tackle to cause a concussion.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pissed at Te'o for not doing it to Moltzen. He coulda strapped a brick to his shoulder and hit Moltzen, I wouldn't have minded.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'm pissed at Te'o for not doing it to Moltzen. He coulda strapped a brick to his shoulder and hit Moltzen, I wouldn't have minded.

Yeah but then we don't get to play the Tigers with LolMoltzen at fullback again

R2Coupe

Juniors
Go play Oz tag you skirt. It is what the majority of people love to see, but the minority ruin it for the rest of us....just like the minority labor govt and the useless greens

Parents' decisions on sports for sons are based on incidents like the Teo one. This is the reality of the world we live in and incidently, Bunny Reilly and Wayne Pearce didn't have to shoulder charge to let their opponents know they were around.

Mr Saab

Referee
The game is a mix of different types of players. If the game was full of Lockyers then it would be boring....same if it were all Tallis' or Langers..etc etc.
Wayne Pearce was a toiler, a fine player, and did his job, but again if they were all Wayne Pearce's then i would watch Lawn Bowls.
Parents decisions????? please. Shit happens in ALL sports...even pansy AFL. If parents are going to be so soft then they can get little Johhny to play chess.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
As I said in the other thread, this is a BASIC, FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT of people playing Football. Not to contact players in the head, but to shoulder charge people, and if the judiciary holds up this grade three charge, it will be a disgrace.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
3 - 4 weeks i think is a bit harsh especially considering Pritchard coped a 1 game ban. But i can see why, Groat was pretty messed up and won't be in a good state for the rest of the week and will probably miss this weeks game.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3 - 4 weeks i think is a bit harsh especially considering Pritchard coped a 1 game ban. But i can see why, Groat was pretty messed up and won't be in a good state for the rest of the week and will probably miss this weeks game.

I really hate the logic where the suspension should be based upon how injured the other player gets. The majority of the decision should be based on intent. Teo never meant to hit the guy in the head.

Based on your logic, if a guy tries to king hit another guy while he's not watching and misses, then its all ok as he didn't get injured... :crazy:

Teo is fighting the charge btw.

Nightward

Juniors
No chance of 6 weeks, he has clean sheet probably get 1 week.

I was expecting a similar punishment to be levied against Ben as was levied against Taylor last year and Williams this year. At the moment he is on the periphery of Origin considerations, and as we know the judiciary likes to punish the Broncos harshly; the chance to rub someone out of Origin selection would just be a bonus for them.

I would say a week, two at the most... but I was expecting to see something on the order of six. Four is more lenient than I thought they would be under the circumstances, but it is still a joke given the tackle and Te'o's record.

bfoord

Juniors
The NRL has advised the Broncos that Te'o will be the first player charged with this offence. An offence that has apparently been on the books for 5 years.

So in the last 5 years there would have been hundreds of shoulder charges, with dozens of them going too high and they decide to pull out this charge now.

There have already been at least 2 or 3 similar incidents this season that have been punishef nowhere near as harshly.

From a statement the NRL has released they are saying that Pritchards tackle was a conventional tackle gone wrong, while Te'os was a non-conventional tackle (shoulder charge) gone wrong. And thats why Te'o got the more severe charge.

All anyone asks for is consistency.

The definition of joke = the NRL judiciary.

Last edited:

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Based on your logic, if a guy tries to king hit another guy while he's not watching and misses, then its all ok as he didn't get injured... :crazy:

That is not what i meant. Intent and injury to a player should be taken into account. Not one or the other but both and. I agree Teo had no intent to concuss Groat, but in the end he did and now he has to face the consequences, even if they are harsh.

Old_Timer

Juniors
I agree we all like to see a good shoulder charge when a ball carrying opponent is knocked off his feet. But when the said opponent is severely concussed it brings the legitimacy of such a charge under scrutiny. The head is and has to be, a no go zone in our game, wether that be thought direct or indirect contact. The last thing our great game needs is a death on the field. Just my two bob's worth.

Latest posts