What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible news, Lance Thompson passes away overnight

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Former Dragons and Sharks forward Lance Thompson has been found dead in his Cronulla apartment.

Police and paramedics were called to a unit in the Sutherland Shire at 9pm on Thursday.

6cba6396a78daf8c9e4c33a3b564a297ae6fe8e1

Lance Thompson (right), playing for the Dragons back in 1998.

Photo: NRL Photos

A report is being prepared for the coroner, but police say there were no suspicious circumstances or evidence of self harm. Thompson was 40.

The flame-haired Thompson developed a cult following in 11 seasons with St George and St George Illawarra before finishing his NRL career with three seasons with the Sharks.

Making his Dragons debut as a teenager back in 1995, he played 201 games for the club and retired in 2008 having won five NSW City jumpers.

Thompson was forced to retire after just his second game of that 2008 season following debilitating pain in a knee, which he said was preventing him from keeping up with his then-seven-year-old daughter while playing soccer in a local park.

He left St George Illawarra after the red-hot favourites crashed out of the 2005 competition with a preliminary final loss to the Wests Tigers, who would go on to beat the Cowboys in the grand final.

Thompson ran several restaurants after his playing days finished and as recently as this year filmed a segment for Fox League at one of his premises, Woolooware Golf Club.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/former-dragons-cult-hero-lance-thompson-dead-20180824-p4zzgn.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Former St George Illawarra Dragons player Lance Thompson found dead
Local Sport
+3
  • r0_0_2000_1373_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
  • r0_0_640_387_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
Former St George Illawarra and Cronulla rugby league player Lance Thompson has died.

The 40-year-old was found at a unit on The Kingsway, Cronulla about 9pm on Thursday.

The man died at the scene and his death is not being treated as suspicious, police say.

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

Australian Rugby League Commission chair Peter Beattie said Thompson's death was a great loss to the sport.

"A very sad day for rugby league with the passing of NRL star Lance Thompson," Beattie tweeted.

"A much-loved member of the rugby league community. Condolences to his family."

AAP

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...gons-great-lance-thompson-found-dead-at-home/

Incredibly Sad News....R.I.P Lance

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL great Lance Thompson dead
news.com.au
an hour ago
FORMER St George Illawarra and Cronulla player Lance Thompson has died.

Multiple media outlets say the 40-year-old was found by his 17-year-old daughter at a unit on The Kingsway, Cronulla, about 9pm on Thursday.

Police say the death was not suspicious and may have been due to a “medical incident” rather than self harm. A report is being prepared for the coroner.

Latest word is that Lance Thompson's death may have been a 'medical incident'... not The Black Dog. Police still investigating. Either way, a tragedy.

— The Mole (@9_Moley) August 23, 2018
Lance Thompson update: Police saying no evidence of self harm more likely his shock death is a medical episode. Very sad. @tendailyau @TenNewsSydney

— Steve Hart (@SteveHartTen) August 23, 2018
Tributes have begun pouring in on social media for the former second rower, who played 239 games across 14 seasons in the NRL.

Subscribe to news.com.au’s From The Newsroom podcast through iTunes

Thompson made his first grade debut for the Dragons as a 17-year-old in 1995 and played with the club through its merger and grand final defeat against Melbourne Storm in 1999.

He moved to Cronulla in 2006, playing 38 games for the Sharks before retiring in 2008.

In shock and very sad to hear lance Thompson passing away. Lucky to play against him in my debut and meet him in the shire. Champion bloke who will be missed :broken_heart:

— Joseph Paulo (@sefapaulo) August 23, 2018
Shattered to hear about Lance Thompson. A great bloke who helped me learn alot! Gone way to soon. RIP Thommo

— Bryson Goodwin (@Bryson_Goodwin) August 23, 2018
A very sad day for Rugby League with the passing of NRL star Lance Thompson; a much-loved member of the rugby league community. Condolences to his family #nrl @NRL_Dragons

— Peter Beattie (@SmartState1) August 23, 2018
Very sad to hear the passing of Lance Thompson overnight, one of my childhood favourites and a local hero who I looked up to and was lucky enough to get to know over the years, champion bloke and player. Rest In Peace Mate! pic.twitter.com/0K5yWQK3g7

— Keith Galloway (@kgalloway85) August 23, 2018
Former NRL player turned media personality Darryl Brohman was one of many to express his shock on social media, saying he had a beer with Thompson just last week.

Commentator Andrew Voss said he was “absolutely numb” at the news. Voss had Thompson on his TV show The Fan this year where the pair reflected on the former Dragon and Shark’s playing days and also on his journey in life after football.

Terribly sad news of Lance Thompson’s passing. Had a beer with him last Thursday. My god! RIP Thommo. Thoughts with his family and friends

— Darryl Brohman (@therealbigmarn) August 23, 2018
I am absolutely numb at the news of Lance Thompson passing away.If you watched Lance on The Fan this year,you would appreciate what a genuine & hard working man he was. Shattered for his family.He proved you dont need to have won GF's or played for your country to be a champion.

— Andrew Voss (@AndrewVossy) August 23, 2018
I sincerely hope Lance knew how many rugby league fans admired and respected him for what he achieved on and off the field in his career. So sad that this love could not sustain him. My heart breaks for his family. Rest in Peace. #LanceThompson pic.twitter.com/aQP9bWamJZ

— Andrew Voss (@AndrewVossy) August 23, 2018
a4dba12dd9908134666a212dc4d175dc

Thompson wasn’t afraid of doing the dirty work.
Thompson was one of the most respected players in the game and was unlucky to never pull on a sky blue or Australian jersey. The hard-nosed back rower was known for doing the tough stuff on the field — taking care of the little things that might not make the highlights reel but were just as important to helping the team.

The uncompromising tackling machine represented the City Origin side five times and in his first clash for Cronulla against his former side in 2006, scored two tries.

In 2007 he suffered a season-ending knee injury and not long after was diagnosed with type one diabetes. In 2008 his troublesome knee forced him into retirement.

“Retiring will give me a chance to deal with both my knee and my injuries,” Thompson said in April that year. “It will also help me deal with my diabetes.”

After announcing his retirement, then-Sharks coach Ricky Stuart paid tribute to one of the toughest men to play the game.

“I have played with and against plenty of tough players, but none have been tougher than Lance Thompson,” Stuart said in 2008.

c264d901c46a67e87ba8a036d5db56fb

Thompson waved goodbye to a legion of adoring fans when he quit rugby league.
If you or someone you know is in need of crisis or suicide prevention support, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit www.lifeline.org.au/gethelp

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...d/news-story/9e293fc01f7b7656e14c60737a49278f

BLM01

First Grade
Yeh Big Ginger...sad to lose a Dragons legend who was a true Dragon player at heart..always played for the club, fans and jersey. It was sad to see they could not fit him into the team or cap as he deserved to be a one club player.
I know this may sound weird but I remember him by as nearly always last coming out on the field..but only walking initially with his white hand towel wiping his face and hands. It was like he was savouring the feeling of coming out of the sheds..not sprinting onto the field.
RIP .. but right now we gotta feel for his immediate family. Sad times!

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Just came on here and saw this.
Very sad to hear as he was a favorite player of mine as a kid in my early years of supporting the red v. What stood out for me was his genuine toughness and love for the club. It was a shame the way he finished with us but he is forever a Saint. RIP Lance, the red headed warrior!

dungay dragon

Juniors
Just came on here and saw this.
Very sad to hear as he was a favorite player of mine as a kid in my early years of supporting the red v. What stood out for me was his genuine toughness and love for the club. It was a shame the way he finished with us but he is forever a Saint. RIP Lance, the red headed warrior!
Devastating news ...Deepest sympathies to Lance's Family , Friends and Team Mates..
Along With Changa , my favourite all time Dragon players ..
Tough , Raw, Loyal Club man , adored by the fans
Rest In Peace Big Red