What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tezza strikes again

scottyeel

Bench
Glory days to be revived

3 September 2005

Manly veteran Terry Hill has promised the Sea Eagles' finals showdown with Parramatta will be reminiscent of the glory days of the early 1980s when the boys from the west and the silvertails battled it out for the rugby league premiership.

Given the Sea Eagles' recent form that may be hard to imagine, but Manly has sent out a warning to its doubters to beware when they battle the minor premiers at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday week.

Manly secured its final berth with a blistering 36-18 win over Canberra at Canberra Stadium tonight, destroying Penrith's and the Sydney Roosters' hopes of leapfrogging the Sea Eagles into the finals.

The win sets up a first versus eighth encounter between Parramatta and Manly in the first round of finals footy.

Canberra, meanwhile, will sweat it out until Newcastle face St George Illawarra tomorrow, with the Raiders a mathematical chance of claiming the wooden spoon if the last placed Knights slaughter the Dragons.

Manly enforcer Ben Kennedy, who was inspirational in tonight's victory over the Raiders, agreed with Hill that his team could not be underestimated, but hoped the Eels did just that.

"I hope they do. It's going to be a tough assignment but nothing that we're scared of," he said.

"Once you get in the semis anything can happen.

"We can't lose anything, we just go out there and have a go and we'll give them a scare."

After leaving the Knights last season, Kennedy said his goal in 2005 was to take Manly to the finals and he as managed to achieve just that.

Hill could hardly contain himself after tonight's win as he gushed at the idea of playing in his first finals series since, he said, 1998.

"We've got a couple of real good semi finals in us," he said.

"It's going to be a great clash. It's a great rivalry.

"This is the clash of the 70s and the 80s and the 90s, hang on a minute, we're into 2000 - Manly and Parramatta.

"I'm that excited. I can't wait until next week. Geez, I'll be fired up."

Raiders coach Matt Elliott predicted Manly, with Kennedy on board, would trouble the Eels.

"They've got enough strike there," he said.

"This semi finals series will reflect the regular season and there will be some upsets."
www.nrl.com

Stagger eel

Staff member
who can answer this question, when was the last time we played Manly in a final series and what was the score?...it's an easy one.

Hurriflatch

Referee
What about all those s'

70's, 80's, 90's, semis, clash, us

If only Hill said that while standing over Warragamba Dam Sydney's water supply would've been set for the next 7000 years

Eels Fan

Juniors
I'll say the last time we played Manly in a finals match was the '83 GF & we won by about 18-6 if my memory serves me correctly.

Eelectrica

Referee
Yes Tezza. Forget about the last few weeks where Manly have been spinning there wheels and getting smashed by huge margins.
You're going to turn all that around now and beat the big bag Eels.
Then knock over the nasty Tigers.
Smash the easy beat Broncos
and hold the trophy high on Grand final night be finishing off the once mighty Dragons.

attamarrap

Juniors
I'm sure the boy's will be keen to give it to tezza after all the sh!t he dished out to ian hindy I'm pretty sure most of his mates would object to him being called a reserve grader!!

The Colonel

Immortal
2 wins from their last nine and he expects a finals showdown of yesteryear? They couldn't put away the Raiders last night who had half a first grade side. Enjoy the rest of September Tezza.... By the way hows the head?

Nikki

Coach
God that little weazel copped it down in Canberra last night. Except for the little smart arse "bright sparks" who sat in front of us trying to sledge tezza by firstly tellin him he had a lisp (well duh!) and then telling him to swallow his spit (obviously the body's natural reaction). Needless to say I got into an altercation with one of them..

Eelementary

Post Whore
There is an intense correlation between 'fear' and 'respect'.

He has shown us no respect, as has Kennedy, in that article.

Quite simply - they're scared.

As they bloody well should be.

A finals match at Parramatta Stadium in front of 20 000 screaming Eels fans....

Manly....You are the weakest link. Goodbye!

Nikki

Coach
The way they played last night was crap. They were lucky that they had the officials on there side (and man was there some dodgy calls!!) and that Canberra just didnt seem to turn up for 3 quarters of the game. But go Ian scoring 2 meaty's!!!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Trust a team running on pure adrenaline (and fear, in their minds) to spout off about how they hope we underestimate them and that they'll trouble us.

Newsflash - you finished 8th, not second.

And what's all this rubbish about the Finals being a different game?

What, they're going to come to play golf next Sunday?

Hill and Kennedy are over-rated buffoons - their actions, as well as their words, say as much.

I tell you - they're scared.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eels Fan said:
I'll say the last time we played Manly in a finals match was the '83 GF & we won by about 18-6 if my memory serves me correctly.

well done EF.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Eelementary said:
There is an intense correlation between 'fear' and 'respect'.

He has shown us no respect, as has Kennedy, in that article.

Quite simply - they're scared.

As they bloody well should be.

A finals match at Parramatta Stadium in front of 20 000 screaming Eels fans....

Manly....You are the weakest link. Goodbye!

yup, I read it like that

They are hoping Parra turn up not playing well, they even said so as much.
And if we dont turn up, then it will be an even contest.

We will be pumped and give it to them, we are on a roll

its our time :cool:

thedux

Juniors
It's easy to see why the 'silvertails' (didn't they nearly go broke) are talking it up; they figure if they make enough noise about being written-off all the pressure will be applied to our boys as they will have nothing to lose. What they forget is, that unlike 2001 we are a more mature outfit that wants to prove to everybody that there are no remaining scars. Don't tell me that Manly aren't quietly worried that we'll put 50 on them!!

rowdy

First Grade
*just waiting on a grand entrance from the manly fans into this forum...*

Latest posts