What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thaiday stands down as Broncos captain

user_nat

Coach
It's about time.

Deserved for Parker (assuming he gets it, if not I'll have a little cry) and deserved for Thaiday.

Mr Saab

Referee
Good. Sam has been very very avg for Brisbane the past 2 yrs.

Hopefully the captains curse doesnt impact Parker

Mig2006

Juniors
So Parker will be doing everything now? Making 40 tackles, 20 runs, captaincy and kicking? Big call - he was in career best form last year without the added responsibilities....

Madrooster

Juniors
Parker will struggle as captain. His body language at anything that doesn't go his way is terrible. I can see the refs not liking him at all.

Diesel

Referee
Good decision, Thaiday was a crap captain and he deserves to be chopped. I wonder if this means he could be moved on

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Thaiday will be a better player without the captaincy responsibilities. Watch him have a cracker of a season.

Parker will do a good job - but Alex Glenn should get the nod ahead of Parker IMO. Better long term prospect.

Bronco18

Juniors
Thaiday will be a better player without the captaincy responsibilities. Watch him have a cracker of a season.

Parker will do a good job - but Alex Glenn should get the nod ahead of Parker IMO. Better long term prospect.

The problem with Glenn atm is he's probably stuck behind Gillette. Gillette was in good form at the end of last year and has probably earned a starting back row spot, while Glenn's versatility probably works against him. With that in mind, I'm leaning towards Parker who really has been our heart and soul since Lockyer retired.

It was interesting that Hodges name was brought up in the list in the Courier Mail article. He's too irresponsible and injury prone to be considered , but I recall when Lockyer was in and out in 2008 and he filled in a few times. The team really did fire up.

Kiwi

First Grade
The problem with Glenn atm is he's probably stuck behind Gillette. Gillette was in good form at the end of last year and has probably earned a starting back row spot, while Glenn's versatility probably works against him. With that in mind, I'm leaning towards Parker who really has been our heart and soul since Lockyer retired.

It was interesting that Hodges name was brought up in the list in the Courier Mail article. He's too irresponsible and injury prone to be considered , but I recall when Lockyer was in and out in 2008 and he filled in a few times. The team really did fire up.

Should be Glenn and I'd have Glenn starting. Problem was Glenn has been shunted all over the place the last few years. He has spent more time playing out of position and being used up the middle much like Thaiday. The sooner our backrow is Thaiday, Glenn and Parker with then running wide the better.

AceAv

Juniors
Glenn or Parker I dont mind.

Just happy this has occurred!!

Thaiday hopefully will really do what he does best now and start slammin players again instead of getting slammed by refs!

Big Pete

Referee
Good decision and well handled by everyone involved.

I was for the Thaiday move as captain. Clearly it didn't work out but I thought of all the other candidates and thought Sam had the most potential to do something with this squad.

It didn't happen and wasn't going to so it's pleasing to see the club arrive to that conclusion in a timely matter.

From what I understand, the Broncos will announce co-captains in just over an hour.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Bit of an embarrassing thing for the broncos to have to do but better late than never, was always the right choice. Was a call made from a business and PR perspective, broncos management had some weird idea he was the peoples captain, give me Parker any day.

Kiwi

First Grade
wouldn't it start some serious whinging if the announcement of the 2014 captain was Cam Smith.

I doubt it but will accept Parker as 2014 captain with Smith to captain the side in 2015 as the announcement, I'm not greedy

Snappy

Coach
Just heard Thaiday stands down as captain after being asked to do so by club.

New captain named later today, expected to be Parker

Canard

Immortal
Parker should have been captain from the get go.

Probably the worst decision the club made not making him captain after Locky's retirement (does anyone remember that event, it seemed to come and go with little fuss?)