What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you Benji

St Georgio

Juniors
Hindsight is wonderful, Mark Gasnier and Brett Kimmorley believe it Drew Hutchinsons time, maybe he should have been giving more game time earlier this year, but I think in Hindsight it was a blessing for Drew not to be involved whilst McGregor was head coach, Hopefully Cleary will come in and make Drew the player that many here are wanting.

FlameThrower

Bench
Hindsight is wonderful, Mark Gasnier and Brett Kimmorley believe it Drew Hutchinsons time, maybe he should have been giving more game time earlier this year, but I think in Hindsight it was a blessing for Drew not to be involved whilst McGregor was head coach, Hopefully Cleary will come in and make Drew the player that many here are wanting.
You make it sound like its a done deal. I've learnt not to expect too much with these rumours we also end up getting let down.

drago brelli

Bench
Bit of a dilemma here. Cutters have one game left then semis. I am pretty sure Marshall won't play NSW Cup on the Central Coast. So Hutchison plays in 1st grade then goes back to the Cutters for semis. Hutch has played all year in that team and I am sure he'd like to play in the finals with them. Marshall won't quality for NSW Cup.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Bit of a dilemma here. Cutters have one game left then semis. I am pretty sure Marshall won't play NSW Cup on the Central Coast. So Hutchison plays in 1st grade then goes back to the Cutters for semis. Hutch has played all year in that team and I am sure he'd like to play in the finals with them. Marshall won't quality for NSW Cup.

You are spot on here Drago.
The Cutters have only 1 game left of the regular season, an away game to the Wyong Roos.
It would be pointless to promote Hutch, now and then back again 1 week later, makes no sense to be honest.
If Benji was hoping for a Farah type of crowd to cheer him on, then he has miscalculated that one to the max.
However, I still think Benji will be in the 17, even if he comes off the bench.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Benji should have been a 6. Despite this, he was one of our best in 2015. Sadly his body caught up with him this year. It is totally unfair to say he has been terrible for 3 years.

giboz71

First Grade
Seems confirmed now.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-career-now-likely-over-20160822-gqyhgu.html

Great player in his day, but father time caught up. He's essentially a touch footy player disguised as an NRL player, and with his physical gifts was close to the best player in the game not so long ago.

But what's been made clear to me is that he lacked the fundamentals of a true half which is kicking, passing and vision. So once he lost his physical gifts, he had nothing to fall back on. I fear Milford, Mbye and Shaun Johnson will go the same way when they hit their 30's

It's why guys like Thurston, Cronk and Lockyer were still at the top of their game well into their 30's. They had the basics covered. Give me that kind of half any time.

getsmarty

Immortal
Marshall may have played last NRL game
ADRIAN PROSZENKO
22 Aug 2016, 10 p.m.
r0_107_3000_1794_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IGNOMINIOUS END: Benji Marshall may have played his last NRL game after being dumped from the Dragons side for Monday's clash with Parramatta. Picture: Getty Images

See your ad here
See your ad here

Benji Marshall may have played his last NRL game after he was dropped from the St George Illawarra side to take on Parramatta next Monday.

Fairfax Media can reveal Marshall is the biggest-name casualty following the Dragons’ second-half capitulation to the Roosters, marking the first time he has been axed during his incredible NRL career.

Marshall finished the 2015 Dally M medal race in equal-second spot behind Johnathan Thurston after helping the joint-venture outfit to an unlikely finals appearance. However, the 31-year-old has been hampered by hamstring problems all year and has struggled to reproduce that form.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has a high opinion of Marshall, but has finally lost patience and is tipped to replace him with young playmaker Drew Hutchinson.

It’s unclear whether Marshall will be made to play for feeder team Illawarra Cutters in their clash with the Wyong Roos at Morry Breen Oval on Saturday afternoon.

Marshall, off contract at the end of the season, is keen to continue playing. However, he is struggling to attract interest from NRL clubs and it’s likely he will contemplate retirement.

The Dragons are out of playoff contention and, unless he earns a recall for the round 26 encounter with Newcastle, Marshall may not be seen in first grade again.

It would be an inglorious end to a wonderful career in which he has achieved every conceivable honour. The former New Zealand international revolutionised the game with his wicked step and no-look passes, which have been mimicked by a generation of fans and players.

The fresh-faced pivot was instrumental in guiding the Wests Tigers to their inaugural premiership in 2005, catapulting himself into superstardom in the process. A slew of honours followed including the Golden Boot, the Kiwi captaincy, All Star honours and being chosen as NRL’s ‘‘face of the game’’.

For all the success he enjoyed, it appears Marshall may not go out on his terms. Having parted company with the Tigers with two seasons left on his contract for a brief rugby stint with the Auckland Blues, Marshall returned to the 13-man code with the Dragons.

He enjoyed mixed success with the Red V, although his halves combination with Gareth Widdop has failed to fire this year. The pair have largely been blamed for the club’s inability to score points, forcing McGregor — himself under pressure after a failed campaign — to wield the axe.

McGregor did not respond on Monday to requests to comment on Marshall.

Marshall and former teammate Robbie Farah were among those chiefly responsible for steering the Tigers to the maiden title, but both now face the prospect of finishing their careers out of the limelight.

The game against the Eels next week marks the historic last match at Pirtek Stadium before it is demolished and redeveloped. The absence of Marshall will rob the game of one of the its drawcards, but could usher in a new era for the visitors.

After missing out on Corey Norman, Luke Keary, Jarryd Hayne and Lachlan Coote, the Dragons are poised to give Hutchison a chance to impress. The former Junior Kangaroo has made three first-grade appearances.

Former Dragons star Mark Gasnier, speaking on Fox Sports’ Sunday Ticket program, said it was time for Hutchison to be given an opportunity.

‘‘I said it before the game, if they are to lose they’ve got to think about the future,’’ Gasnier said.

‘‘Drew Hutchison is that way because everyone remains unsigned at this stage. You’ve got to think about next year.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4113423/benji-banished-as-mcgregor-wields-axe/?cs=2382

St Georgio

Juniors
Bit of a dilemma
Seems confirmed now.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-career-now-likely-over-20160822-gqyhgu.html

It's why guys like Thurston, Cronk and Lockyer were still at the top of their game well into their 30's. They had the basics covered. Give me that kind of half any time.
These type of players are rare, you sometimes take whats available, Considering what was available Benji was the right choice for us, he was instrumental in our run into the finals last year, I still believe Benji has something to offer..not with US!

drago brelli

Bench
These type of players are rare, you sometimes take whats available, Considering what was available Benji was the right choice for us, he was instrumental in our run into the finals last year, I still believe Benji has something to offer.

........further on the Cutters they will finish 2nd win lose or draw. They would have to lose by 70 on Saturday to drop down. If Farah pays the finals with Wtigers in NSW Cup they are a great chance. St Georgio......what exactly does Benji have to offer?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
........further on the Cutters they will finish 2nd win lose or draw. They would have to lose by 70 on Saturday to drop down. If Farah pays the finals with Wtigers in NSW Cup they are a great chance. St Georgio......what exactly does Benji have to offer?

Under the rules, I don't think Farrah qualifies to play in the NSW cup finals.

St Georgio

Juniors
ESL

Sigurd

Juniors

For me it's not so much what Benji has to offer but all about Widdop. The former has been poor this year. The latter has been atrocious. He can't take the ball to the line in both hands and leave opposition guessing whether he will pass it, run himself or kick. He either catches and passes at least 5 meters before the defensive line or runs himself and the opposition knows that is what he will do 5 minutes before he does it. Wonder why the attack is so bad? That main culprit is Widdop. And when he runs he very rarely breaks a tackle let alone, the defensive line. Benji can do that and then when you take his superior defense, better kicking game and Widdops poor goal kicking...... It could only take McGregor-like genius to get rid of Marshall rather than Widdop.

Old Timer

Coach
For me it's not so much what Benji has to offer but all about Widdop. The former has been poor this year. The latter has been atrocious. He can't take the ball to the line in both hands and leave opposition guessing whether he will pass it, run himself or kick. He either catches and passes at least 5 meters before the defensive line or runs himself and the opposition knows that is what he will do 5 minutes before he does it. Wonder why the attack is so bad? That main culprit is Widdop. And when he runs he very rarely breaks a tackle let alone, the defensive line. Benji can do that and then when you take his superior defense, better kicking game and Widdops poor goal kicking...... It could only take McGregor-like genius to get rid of Marshall rather than Widdop.
Superior defence absolutely laughable.

SBD82

Coach
You've been beating this drum a bit lately Sigurd.

Sounds awfully similar to a poster that disappeared around the same time you started posting. He was also named after an historical figure.

Any relation?

Sigurd

Juniors
You've been beating this drum a bit lately Sigurd.

Sounds awfully similar to a poster that disappeared around the same time you started posting. He was also named after an historical figure.

Any relation?

Hi SBD. Not sure but am I named after an historical figure? I mean, there have been quite a few down through the ages but none that I know of who was overly famous.

SBD82

Coach
Hi SBD. Not sure but am I named after an historical figure? I mean, there have been quite a few down through the ages but none that I know of who was overly famous.
You're absolutely correct. What I should have said was mythological figure who has popped up through various cultures under variations of the original name.

So... Any relation? I don't want to be a jerk, it just piqued my curiosity.

For what it's worth, if I'm right, I much prefer your new incarnation.

Old Timer

Coach
Well when was the last time Marshall jumped out of the way of opposition runners?
Doesn't get close enough to jump out of their way.
You love picking the isolated incident I would hazard a guess that you would battle to find very much if any support for your theory that Marshall is a better defender than Widdop despite how bad Widdop is going.
If in your opinion Widdop was turnstile then Benji would have to be be a boom gate without the arm.

Sigurd

Juniors
Doesn't get close enough to jump out of their way.
You love picking the isolated incident I would hazard a guess that you would battle to find very much if any support for your theory that Marshall is a better defender than Widdop despite how bad Widdop is going.
If in your opinion Widdop was turnstile then Benji would have to be be a boom gate without the arm.

Isolated incident? I haven't watched every game this year. Too painful for me to bear. Typically I have watched about half of the the games where the team was a shambles and didn't watch the games vs depleted Storm and Cowboys. In other words, I have watched significantly less than half this season. During that half I saw opposition run straight at Widdop vs Broncos (Darius Boyd) twice vs the Warriors (I'm not sure who it was. You remember that game they had some injuries and stood down 4 players?) and of course the last time I saw it was with Hurrell vs Gold Coast.

Sigurd

Juniors
You're absolutely correct. What I should have said was mythological figure who has popped up through various cultures under variations of the original name.

So... Any relation? I don't want to be a jerk, it just piqued my curiosity.

For what it's worth, if I'm right, I much prefer your new incarnation.

no.

Latest posts