What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you Benji

Old Timer

Coach
Isolated incident? I haven't watched every game this year. Too painful for me to bear. Typically I have watched about half of the the games where the team was a shambles and didn't watch the games vs depleted Storm and Cowboys. In other words, I have watched significantly less than half this season. During that half I saw opposition run straight at Widdop vs Broncos (Darius Boyd) twice vs the Warriors (I'm not sure who it was. You remember that game they had some injuries and stood down 4 players?) and of course the last time I saw it was with Hurrell vs Gold Coast.
Until Lafai got dropped Widdop had overlaps galore to contend with every game because Lafai was just a joke in defence.
You have obviously have seen fit to ignore all the goal line work and clean up Widdop has done because of your hatred of him.
Then you introduce the Hurrell tackle well Widdop ain't alone in respect of having that train run over him.
Last week Milne gets hooked because he had all of Benji's tackling to do as well as his own.

Sigurd

Juniors
Until Lafai got dropped Widdop had overlaps galore to contend with every game because Lafai was just a joke in defence.
You have obviously have seen fit to ignore all the goal line work and clean up Widdop has done because of your hatred of him.
Then you introduce the Hurrell tackle well Widdop ain't alone in respect of having that train run over him.
Last week Milne gets hooked because he had all of Benji's tackling to do as well as his own.

None of these incidents I'm talking about where the result of overlaps. They ran straight at Widdop. If he didn't jump out the way he would have either tackled them or they would have ran straight over the top of him.

Sigurd

Juniors

If you want me say Marshal is a good defender, you are barking up the wrong tree. Ditto for playmaking, ditto for running. I'm merely saying he is better than Widdop at all those things.

SBD82

Coach
None of these incidents I'm talking about where the result of overlaps. They ran straight at Widdop. If he didn't jump out the way he would have either tackled them or they would have ran straight over the top of him.
Since you're new here I thought I might give you a hand with how the forum works...

This thread is about Marshall. It's generally considered appropriate to post things about the subject. ie Marshall. Sometimes other topics come up but where there are other forums for the topic that you want to post about it's better to post there.

There is a "rate Gareth Widdop" thread which may be the one that you are looking for.

There was another forum member who constantly derailed threads with anti Widdop rants. You probably wouldn't have seen him, he disappeared just when you joined. But he was really irritating.

St Georgio

Juniors
Since you're new here I thought I might give you a hand with how the forum works...

This thread is about Marshall. It's generally considered appropriate to post things about the subject. ie Marshall. Sometimes other topics come up but where there are other forums for the topic that you want to post about it's better to post there.

There is a "rate Gareth Widdop" thread which may be the one that you are looking for.

There was another forum member who constantly derailed threads with anti Widdop rants. You probably wouldn't have seen him, he disappeared just when you joined. But he was really irritating.
This thread was way derailed before SIGURD put forward his argument, I Originally posted this thread thanking him for his services with the mighty Red V, until a minority decided throw.crap at him.

Old Timer

Coach
This thread was way derailed before SIGURD put forward his argument, I Originally posted this thread thanking him for his services with the mighty Red V, until a minority decided throw.crap at him.
Go back and read the posts it is hardly a minority as you suggest.
The one thing you are correct in is that you started the thread to thank Benji and that is entirely your prerogative to do so.
It is also the prerogative of others not to share that sentiment and say what they think.
The thread got derailed when you tried to justify your sentiments for Benji by drawing comparisons to others to justify your position.
To be quite honest you didn't have to justify anything just remember Benji as you want to and allow others the same latitude.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Superior defence absolutely laughable.

Last time I looked up the stats re missed tackles, I found this:
- Benji misses an average of 2.7 tackles per game played.
- Widdop misses an average of 3.6 tackles per game played.
So prima facie evidence is that yes, Benji has superior defence to Widdop.

I for one would have been interested to see how Benji went at 5/8 in place of Widdop. Trouble is Widdop never gets injured.

St Georgio

Juniors
Hopefully this will end the argument on Benji...even at the peak of his powers between 2005 to let say 2011, Benji of old would not have made any difference and we all know why, over 34000 views lays the answer!

Sigurd

Juniors

I know. I have already been given this lecture on another thread about some new signing from Melbourne (I hope not a dud as well) which Old Timer turned into an anti JDB rant. This thread is however much more closely related. Is there any strict rule?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. That I'm posing as two people on this forum? Is that why someone from this site was probing my I.P. address repeatedly yesterday? I found it quite strange but of you are worried about it, you could ask staff members.

So short of that.... thanks for your greeting but right now, well you were talking of being irritating.

Paul Comber

Juniors
I'm new to this forum. I have looked in to see what's going on but never had an urge to join until this morning when I saw the news Benji was going to be dropped.

Of all the ridiculous things that have gone on over the past 5 years, this is it. Not that it was the wrong idea but every game Benji puts in 100% to try and ignite the spluttering attack. This season more often than not it hasn't worked but what galls me is the plodder he is next to. Floating around the game, doing absolutely nothing but trying not to be noticed, or so it seems. And then there is McGregor who is letting him get away with it but making Benji the scapegoat! Incredible!

WIDDOP IS A DISGRACE AND EMBARRASSMENT TO THE RED V and I want to echo St Georgia in sincerely thanking Benji for the effort he has put in. Week after week only to have "supporters" scorn him even on the numerous occasions he did get MOM.

SBD82

Coach
I know. I have already been given this lecture on another thread about some new signing from Melbourne (I hope not a dud as well) which Old Timer turned into an anti JDB rant. This thread is however much more closely related. Is there any strict rule?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. That I'm posing as two people on this forum? Is that why someone from this site was probing my I.P. address repeatedly yesterday? I found it quite strange but of you are worried about it, you could ask staff members.

So short of that.... thanks for your greeting but right now, well you were talking of being irritating.
Damn. And I thought I was being subtle. I do think you are someone who used to post here. I may be wrong, and if so I apologise profusely.

Time will tell I suppose. The guy I'm thinking of had a special level of crazy that it would be impossible to keep a lid on.

Sigurd

Juniors
Damn. And I thought I was being subtle. I do think you are someone who used to post here. I may be wrong, and if so I apologise profusely.

Time will tell I suppose. The guy I'm thinking of had a special level of crazy that it would be impossible to keep a lid on.

Well when you put it like that and now I think of it more carefully, it could be me. But no, not really. As I said about asking staff but that's enough now. Starting to become a touch irritating. I just think it's better to stay on topic. Don't you agree?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Not a truer word said Paul Comber. Benji has been copping it delux this year and funny thing is he has missed most of it. His body caught up with him with all those injuries and he still tried hard every game.

Hutch and Widdop played together last year and they were terrible. Widdop also partnered McCorne. Again. aweful attack. It would have been nice to see Benji with McCrone or Benji with Hutch instead but Widdop does not get injured as that is the only way he will ever get dropped. Form does not come into play for him because the Coach made him capt and he would look just as stupid as he allready is with his press talks.

Bagging a guy that has achieved everything in the game as well as changed it in many ways, provided awesome memories and was our best last season by a mile is sad. He does not deserve to play in a club with fans like ours. If only most fans gave him the same respect he gives the club and the fans that would be awesome.

Thanks for the memories Benji.

blacksafake

First Grade
Why is everyone assuming Hutch will be picked this week to play instead of Benji.I haven't seen anything from the club/Mary stating this.Who's to say it wont be McCrone instead.

SBD82

Coach
Well when you put it like that and now I think of it more carefully, it could be me. But no, not really. As I said about asking staff but that's enough now. Starting to become a touch irritating. I just think it's better to stay on topic. Don't you agree?

Agreed.

For Benji's commitment to the club I thank him. For the extra work he has done promoting the club I am grateful.

It's a shame that on the field we weren't a good fit for benji, and he wasn't a good fit for us, but I don't doubt his commitment and hard work.

He has been a square peg being forced into a round hole, and I'm afraid his time with us (and possibly in the NRL) is up.

Old Timer

Coach
It's just like a referee evening up the penalty count.
Benji supporters coming from everywhere to cry fowl and bash Widdop with the Paul Comber post the best of all.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well he gave plenty of fans a lot of thrills over the years . So regardless of his declining form in the twilight of his career , I believe that we can afford to give him a few accolades .

Well done Benji and there will be lot of memories for all Rugby League fans .

Latest posts