What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That will do me

brooksy19

Bench
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16210579-23214,00.html

Fitness a worry for Kangaroos
By Dean Ritchie
August 10, 2005

AUSTRALIA'S long-held rating as the world's No.1 rugby league country is under threat because of fitness concerns to elite players at struggling NRL clubs.

Up to 18 possible Kangaroos will miss in the NRL finals with heavyweight teams the Sydney Roosters and Panthers missing out on rugby league's big games and the Bulldogs also struggling.

Test selector Bob McCarthy last night expressed concern that some players will be "underdone" for the coming Tri-Nations tournament.

McCarthy will talk to the ARL management to discuss the players' fitness levels for the opening match of the Tri-Nations on October 15.

Some players will not have played for seven weeks before the Telstra Stadium Test against New Zealand.

Former Australia Test captain Laurie Daley said it was unusual to have star players from the Roosters, Penrith and possibly the Bulldogs not contesting the finals.

Kangaroos candidates Craig Wing, Anthony Minichiello, Craig Fitzgibbon, Luke Rooney, Craig Gower, Trent Waterhouse, Danny Buderus and Steve Price will all be missing from the finals this season.

To that list could be added Bulldogs players Mark O'Meley, Andrew Ryan and Braith Anasta.

Andrew Johns' Newcastle side won't play in the NRL finals but his fitness should be acceptable after a stint with English Super League club Warrington.

Advertisement:

"These players will not have played for six, seven weeks going into the [Homebush] Test," McCarthy said. "It is a worrying situation.

"It's pretty contentious and I'll talk with [ARL chairman] Colin Love and [ARL chief executive] Geoff Carr about the players' fitness.

"There's not much we can do about it but [Kangaroos conditioner] Billy Johnstone will have to keep them fit during the train-on squad.

"But there's nothing like match fitness."

McCarthy said that the Roosters, Panthers and Bulldogs were normally finals regulars.

"Those teams were always there and we didn't have to worry about the fitness of the players," he said.

"I suppose the positive is that the Warriors will miss out on the finals and they'll have plenty on the New Zealand side."

Bulldogs player Ryan said he would be "interested" to see if players out of the finals were chosen.

"I'm sure it [lack of fitness] will be something the selectors look at," Ryan said. "Normally teams in the finals make up touring squad.

"But it could be good for some players to have a freshen-up.

"Guys like Anthony Minichiello, Craig Wing, Danny Buderus and Craig Fitzgibbon have toured for a few years in a row now.

"It could be a blessing in disguise.

"Over the last three years these three teams [Roosters, Bulldogs and Panthers] have made up a fair part of the rep teams. It will be interesting to see what happens."

Daley said selectors would show loyalty to those players who did not contest the finals. But he, too, said players might lack match fitness.

"There's no doubt some of the players on the tour will be under-done," Daley said.

"A lot of players in recent years to play for Australia have come from Penrith, the Roosters and Bulldogs.

"Usually a heap of rep players come from these teams.

"And it could also be that a fair few players from these sides miss out on the Tri-Nations.

"It's important in a touring year that players remain in the faces of selectors well into the finals.

"It can make it difficult to win selection but I'm sure selectors have good memories and will be loyal to those who have performed well at that level in the past."

Former Test prop Steve Roach said the situation means the chance of several "bolters" being named.

"I think we could have a few bolters in the team," Roach said.

"Maybe it could be that we send away an inexperienced side."

Elland Road in Leeds will host the Tri-Nations final.

The triangular tournament involving Great Britain, New Zealand and holders Australia will reach a climax on Saturday, November 26.

brooksy19

Bench
Why the hell not leave these under-performing players out.

The players that make the top 8 deserve to make the squad.

The Colonel

Immortal
Seems like its time for a changing of the guard. Let some of the other players have their chances....

lotti

Bench
yep they do, for half back why not Matt Orford ok he needs to bond with his new team mates and move back to NSW but he can still do that and go on a Kangaroo tour.

aids

Bench
likely hood of a tigers, cronulla or raiders player making the aussie team still looks about the same odds as newcastle making the top 8

GG ARL

smeghead

Bench
Australian side as usual will be a joke based on who has given the selectors the best head on the last tour. Where do I go to learn the haka?

Mr Saab

Referee
smeghead said:
Australian side as usual will be a joke based on who has given the selectors the best head on the last tour. Where do I go to learn the haka?

and so it should.
Do you think Hodgson will take over minichiello's spot? dreaming.
Do you think Skandalis will take Omeley or Civoncievas spot? dreaming
Form will play a part, but not a major part. Maybe one or 2 players will jag a starting spot that were not there last yr, but it will not be a cleanout of players. If that was the case we would have had 3000 players who have represented australia instead of the near 800 that have since 1908.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Charlie Saab said:
It is just another Dean Ritchie sensationalising a non story

yep

like we've never had injuries before,

the pomms and Kiwis have the same problems to deal with

must be a slow news day

smeghead

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
Do you think Hodgson will take over minichiello's spot?
Do you think Skandalis will take Omeley or Civoncievas spot?

No and No. I do however believe that form should play a part in the selections. I believe that any new call ups to the test squad will be Matt King and probably a bunch of St George players to make up the numbers.

What I am saying is that there are no real incentives to someone like MattBowen who has played 2 outstanding years of club football and will be lucky to ever play for his country with the current selection policies we have. I find it a joke that rather than Prince or Thurston being taken as a back up half to blood them for the future in smaller games that Gower and Kimmorley will be picked as part of the old boys club

Misty Bee

First Grade
Interesting point, though. Is it the ultimate proof of elite player burnout?

Either way, it is very refreshing to see clubs stacked with very good non rep players making the finals.

Godz Illa

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
It is just another Dean Ritchie sensationalising a non story
Word, Ritchie is a gimp. There should be more Dean Ritchie-hating on these forums. His articles not only lack substance, but they are written in a bland, lacklustre style.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Smeghead, Bowen's situation is not unusual. Clinton Schifcofske?

Bowen is in a pool of very capable fullbacks, like Schifcofske, Brett Hodgeson, Ben Hornby, Billy Slater, Rhys Wesser and Wade McKinnon, who will have to wait for Minichiello to lose his spot, and see where fate gets them.

Mr Saab

Referee
smeghead said:
What I am saying is that there are no real incentives to someone like MattBowen who has played 2 outstanding years of club football and will be lucky to ever play for his country with the current selection policies we have. I find it a joke that rather than Prince or Thurston being taken as a back up half to blood them for the future in smaller games that Gower and Kimmorley will be picked as part of the old boys club

matt bowen isnt the 1st and wont be the last player to miss out because someone is better than them.
If there was no sterling or mortimer, Hastings would have played 20 tests...but he didnt, thats life.
Bowen is a good player, but Minichiello is better.
I agree about thurston and prince..more so Prince as if he kills it (good form) until deep into the semis (maybe, just maybe GF!) then he should go as the 2nd halfback. Thurston? His form is down a little. Gower should not go IMO, but if he does then so be it.
All i am saying is that past form in rep games does count alot.

smeghead

Bench
Fair enough. It is just frustating watching it. Especially when this year for instance Mini has been about 4th on the list of form fullbacks in the comp but this year he will probably play all his quality games in rep jumpers. I just hope we can get to a situation where a happy medium can exist between experience and form

Mr Saab

Referee
smeghead said:
Fair enough. It is just frustating watching it. Especially when this year for instance Mini has been about 4th on the list of form fullbacks in the comp but this year he will probably play all his quality games in rep jumpers. I just hope we can get to a situation where a happy medium can exist between experience and form

sorry, dont agree. Minichiello has been the standout fullback this yr.
Ignore the chooks form.
He was player of the tour last yr (tri series)
He was player of the origin series.
I dislike the chooks alot, but Mini is the best fullback we have.

ozboy

Juniors
Back onto the topic, how many Broncos will make the team this year. On form only Lockyer should make it, though with Bennett the coach I would not be surprised to see about 6 of them.

If Wayne Bennett had his own way, we would probably see the entire Broncos team line up for the Roos.

Mr Saab

Referee
Lockyer
Civoncieva
Berrigan

they are the only definates that will make it from Brisbane.
All depends on finals form.