What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"That's not a forward pass you clown!"

myrrh ken

First Grade
hahaha
and what the F would a clown like you know about how referees interpret things ?

oh that's right
you don't
as others have said already of you in here , your lack of knowledge of the game is quite staggering

its like you only started watching the game last week

did you ? : )

Your new tirade? It's a bit boring already but I guess something to keep you occupied in the off season.

Trying to rally the troops for personal attacks is quite sad Dave.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Your new tirade? It's a bit boring already but I guess something to keep you occupied in the off season.

Trying to rally the troops for personal attacks is quite sad Dave.

sure sure
heres your home work for the off season

learn about RL
its nuances
its oddities
the little things people whove watched a lot of it know

report back in March 2017
If you need help just PM me .... happy to lend a hand & help a new fan out : )

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I reckon touchies are normally pretty conservative with forward passes. I dont think it was a 50/50 call.

Ive seen much more blatant forward passes let go just this finals series and ive also seen passes that looked forward to the naked eye but were carried forward by inertia and have been let go.

At the end of the day the touchie stuffed up. Its not the crime of the century. Its not even the worst call in that game (the hodgson phantom strip) but it was a bad call. I would hate to see a legit pass be called forward in the grand final and have it cost a team a premiership

betcats

Referee
Who gives a shit Croker knocked on anyway. Teams cop calls worse than that every week. Wighton getting himself binned and Lee bombing that try is what really cost the raiders imo. They will be better for it next year.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well i think most raiders fans have acknowledged it was moot. Most of the discussion was centered on the shields ludicrous belief that the pass must end up backwards from where it started fullstop.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Who gives a shit Croker knocked on anyway. Teams cop calls worse than that every week. Wighton getting himself binned and Lee bombing that try is what really cost the raiders imo. They will be better for it next year.

yeah its all been said.
didn't cost us at all
but its alarming a semi professional official got it quite wrong when they train for these scenarios a lot & are schooled in these situations. Its even in the rule book.

the game was poorly officiated ,& like the above call , most dodgy calls went against the Raiders.
They did a lot to contribute to their own demise as well.
Injuries to croker , Papali, leluia , tapine ... none of it helped.

But it was an invaluable experience for our young team though
look out in 2017
we'll be there again

myrrh ken

First Grade
sure sure
heres your home work for the off season

learn about RL
its nuances
its oddities
the little things people whove watched a lot of it know

report back in March 2017
If you need help just PM me .... happy to lend a hand & help a new fan out : )

Thanks mate but my season aint not over yet. Watching for 32 years isn't enough? bugger me. How many more years till I get to your level?

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
ive also seen passes that looked forward to the naked eye but were carried forward by inertia and have been let go.
Inertia? Don't you mean momentum?

Passes carried forward only by momentum or the wind are not considered forward under the rules. Then there is spin imparted on the ball. The trouble is that it is almost impossible to tell accurately to what degree the pass travelling forward was caused by it being thrown forward in the first place. Looking at the hand movement isn't really very scientific.

The game needs to remove these grey areas. There are far too many of them. Refs having to determine a player's intent is another. In the case of forward passes, I suggest if the ball travels toward the opponents dead ball line from the passer's hands, it is forward. It is up to the player to compensate for momentum, etc. Only then it can it be determined accurately.

betcats

Referee
yeah its all been said.
didn't cost us at all
but its alarming a semi professional official got it quite wrong when they train for these scenarios a lot & are schooled in these situations. Its even in the rule book.

the game was poorly officiated ,& like the above call , most dodgy calls went against the Raiders.
They did a lot to contribute to their own demise as well.
Injuries to croker , Papali, leluia , tapine ... none of it helped.

But it was an invaluable experience for our young team though
look out in 2017
we'll be there again

To me its just standard, they are always getting forward pass calls wrong. They miss many forward passes and call good passes forward. Its just how the game is atm they have no idea. While this pass was legal and went backwards initially it did travel forward cause of the wind or what ever, its not really hard to see how they f**ked it up.

The_Shield

Juniors
Inertia? Don't you mean momentum?

Passes carried forward only by momentum or the wind are not considered forward under the rules. Then there is spin imparted on the ball. The trouble is that it is almost impossible to tell accurately to what degree the pass travelling forward was caused by it being thrown forward in the first place. Looking at the hand movement isn't really very scientific.

The game needs to remove these grey areas. There are far too many of them. Refs having to determine a player's intent is another. In the case of forward passes, I suggest if the ball travels toward the opponents dead ball line from the passer's hands, it is forward. It is up to the player to compensate for momentum, etc. Only then it can it be determined accurately.

Careful now. You don't wanna be talking to much sense in this thread. You'll get death ridin in here

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The rule is the way it is written because it would make it basically impossible for players to pass the ball legally at pace.

The_Shield

Juniors
Raiders fans saying most calls went against them are kidding themselves. Sure there were some soft penalties against them but there were some soft penalties against the Storm too. Hodgson was all over Finucane for that penalty, it wasn't called a strip. Deserved a penalty. But funny how no raiders fans are complaining about the Harris knock on call in the in goal or Cameron Smith having to take conversion from near the sideline when the try was scored near the posts. Slapping at the arms of the hooker has been penalised all year but the raiders were aloud to do it twice.

Stop your complaining about the referees

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Here is an example. In rd 26 in the Raiders/tigers game mitch moses makes a break, draws wighton and passes to tim simona

Wighton stopped moses dead so the illusion is shattered. Simona catches the ball in front of where moses was tackled

Should this be a foward pass despite it clearly going backwards from moses hands ?

rockcod

Juniors
Forward passes are one of those things that will never be ruled on consistently, best we can hope it that the really blatant ones get called, not sure how the refs actually rule on them but it should be only based on the action of the hands, the obvious ones stand out.

Alot from dummy half look forward but the player runs a couple of quick meters and passes as they are tackled or stopping, but out of the hands they are fine.

If the rule was the ball had to go backwards it would end the long pass because every pass over 2m at speed would be 10m behind the receiver.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiders fans saying most calls went against them are kidding themselves. Sure there were some soft penalties against them but there were some soft penalties against the Storm too. Hodgson was all over Finucane for that penalty, it wasn't called a strip. Deserved a penalty. But funny how no raiders fans are complaining about the Harris knock on call in the in goal or Cameron Smith having to take conversion from near the sideline when the try was scored near the posts. Slapping at the arms of the hooker has been penalised all year but the raiders were aloud to do it twice.

Stop your complaining about the referees

lol

tell us about your forward pass theory again
we all need to piss ourselves laughing again ......

GAZF

First Grade
The forward pass rule is applied to an inertial frame of reference. If you threw a bag of chips to your mate on a train, perpendicular to the motion of the train, it doesn't just hold still in the air then hit the back wall of the carriage. It retains the inertia that was given to it by the train with some minor losses.

Balls can appear to travel backwards from a moving object to an observer in a non-inertial frame of reference (a true non-inertial frame of reference is no actually possible given the earth is moving) but this requires the ball to be passed with an x-axis speed faster than which the passer is moving, which is why cut-out passes usually drift forward since there is too much of a y-axis component and too little of an x-axis component. Wind and general air friction play a part as well as how the ball is spinning.

Austin starts the pass movement with his hands out in front of him and they end up behind him. His torso is facing slightly backwards from the sideline. That's the definition of backwards out of the hands.