What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2007 Best Backline Debate

Ron Jeremy

Coach
jed said:
Clearly a lot of people have no idea about the Raiders, seeing we're down the bottom of almost every list that's compiled, on every possible subject. Not saying that it's the best squad in the NRL, but we'll be competitive.

(1) Goodwin
(2) Best
(3) Graham
(4) Chalk
(5) Howell
(6) Carney
(7) Dobson

Clearly you have no idea. Go and have a look at everyone elses backlines then look at Canberra! No disrespect to Canberra fans but there backline apart from Carney is pretty much inexperienced, and with a new coach who knows? hence my reason for selecting them that low.

Would you honestly rate Canberra's backline better then:

Melbourne
Brisbane
Parra
St George
NQ
Warriors
Cantebury
Easts
Manly
Newcastle
etc

Being realistic offcourse not!

To make you feel better i'd have Canberra in the top 5 packs next year, above my team Parramatta.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Disco said:
I know you hate Manly, but in listing there backline 14th your losing all credibitly

Disco, it was more a post to piss you off :lol:

However, Parra owns Manlys backline, and as pointed out earlier i'd rather have Finch knowing he's provided at SOO level, then Orford at club level. Th eonly thing i'll agree with you on the backline is Stewart over Burt and Bell over B Smith ( judging by last years performances). Matai is good, but not on the same level as Tahu or Hayne or Grothe.

McCrud

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
And we have never claimed a premiership after the ref blatantly handed it to you.

Be honest, you blokes would take a premiership anyway you could, fair or foul.....

mattyg

Bench
effnic said:
1.Dragons
2.Manly

you really have to remove your maroon and white goggles mate. It's making you look stupid. If Manly have the 2nd best backline in the comp ill jump off the harbour bridge.

Storm, Brisbane, Parramatta all have better backlines than Manly. Heck, theres probably another 5 teams with better backs than Manly.

How on earth can you say that you'd rather Manly's backs to Brisbane's Hunt, Tate, Hodges, Lockyer. Its ridiculous.

Stewart still has no representative honours, Lyon hasn't proved himself in the NRL, and is majorly overrated, Bell is nothing special, and Orford is a choker.

Every single one of your posts stinks of bias.

mattyg

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
To make you feel better i'd have Canberra in the top 5 packs next year, above my team Parramatta.

No way mate!! talk about under-rating your own pack.

Hindmarsh, Fui Fui, Cayless...theres no way i'd choose Canberra over Parramatta in regards to their pack.

Mr Saab

Referee
_Johnsy said:
And we have never claimed a premiership after the ref blatantly handed it to you.

???????????
1992 we hammered your sorry asses 28-8
1993 you couldnt even score a try against us
1998 we hammered the dogs
2000 we shut down all the chooks had to offer
2006...yes there were one or two refeering decisions that went against the Storm, BUT, they made break after break against the Broncos and could not convert....failing that, what about Matt Geyers 2/10 game, Steve Turners dropped bomb that led to a Hodges try and David Kidwells 3/10 game.
The storm made 14 mistakes to the Broncos 8....dont give me "the ref blatantly handed it to you" crap
Just a shame the Dragons have never been "good enough" on the day that matters.

steeden.

Juniors
Broncos easily: best fullback, best 5/8. Although the Qld backline would beat any other easily

Lowdown

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
the ref blatantly handed it to you

Correct-a-mondo. Broncs played better - but you can't deny that 4 pts were awarded to broncos when shouldn't have been, and 4-6 points taken from Melbourne when should have been. An 8-10 point turnaround in that Grand Final was a huge and undeniable advantage to Brisbane. But that was last year...

Its pretty clear to most supporters that the backline of the Storm and the Broncos are the best in the NRL in terms of names on paper. However in 2006:

Storm scored 109 tries
Brisbane scored 87 tires

A 22 try advantage to the Storm. That is practically a try a game.

Now if people say the number of tries is not a key factor here, because its also about forward momentum etc - but the Broncos had arguably the best forward pack, whilst the Storm was largely unheralded. Defensively the Broncos were better but this has less to do with the backline, and more of a representation of style of play, tactics and overall team play. That being said, the Storm conceded only 6 more tries in total than the Broncs.

Based on these facts: I think the Storm's backline has it over the Broncos - on the field anyway. On paper - they are very close.

Lowdown

Juniors
steeden. said:
Broncos easily: best fullback, best 5/8. Although the Qld backline would beat any other easily

Err...since when did backline consist of two positions?

tbone10

Juniors
mattyg said:
you really have to remove your maroon and white goggles mate. It's making you look stupid. If Manly have the 2nd best backline in the comp ill jump off the harbour bridge.

Storm, Brisbane, Parramatta all have better backlines than Manly. Heck, theres probably another 5 teams with better backs than Manly.

How on earth can you say that you'd rather Manly's backs to Brisbane's Hunt, Tate, Hodges, Lockyer. Its ridiculous.

Stewart still has no representative honours, Lyon hasn't proved himself in the NRL, and is majorly overrated, Bell is nothing special, and Orford is a choker.

Every single one of your posts stinks of bias.

You are kidding yourself matty aren't you? Don't make yourself as bad as the parra dickheads and jump on the Lyon hate bandwagon. The guy was a star on the rise when he left the Eels. Why else would they be so sh*tty they lost him?

_Johnsy

Referee
Ghoulies said:
you went on about an ex-halfback who played for the club he supports. All you did was make a retaliatorial remark about renouf's club because you took offence to his comment.

Funny that, it is exactly what you have done on relation to my comment, hipocryte.

Please expalin to me what his comment about forward passes has to do with this thread, I see broncs can have a dig at ex-players from other clubs, but no-one else can. Tosser

Stagger eel

Staff member
Brisbane and Melbourne are on parr as having the best backlines in the comp, clear daylight between them and the next club.

steeden.

Juniors
Lowdown said:
Err...since when did backline consist of two positions?

well if (stereotypically) the most important positions in a team are fullback, five-eighth, half and hooker, Brisbane had the best players in two of those positions.

simon says

First Grade
As stated previously...the Raiders have the best backline.

A great mix of youth and experience that will flourish this year and score many great tries.

And while Im at it,they have the best pack to......a great mix of youth ad experience that will barnstorm their way up the field and create space for their sizzling backline to cut a swathe through opposition defenders.

:lol: :lol:

simon says

First Grade
And......Im surprised everyone is rating Parra's backline soo highly.

They have lost two of their best from last year(Mackinnon and Morris),and have a few untried blokes in there.....

Not too mention brain explsion Grothe and Finch.

They may well go great,but on paper they are far behind other clubs,including Manly's which has been copping it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
simon says said:

They have lost two of their best from last year(Mackinnon and Morris),and have a few untried blokes in there.....

They may well go great,but on paper they are far behind other clubs,including Manly's which has been copping it.

yeah! I'm happy for anyone to write us off...

btw, Wade couldn't make the first 13 by the end of the season and Morris offered bugger all, all year after a great 05.

They were definitely not our best.

simon says

First Grade
Gee I reckon you are being hard on Mackinnon......every time I saw him he was going great guns.

BTW...who were yer best then???

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Im pretty sure Mckinnon was one of the top gained metres of kick returns and made plenty of line breaks.
Morris on the other hand was simply sh!t.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
simon says said:

Morris:lol: he was the weak link in our backline.Finch and Grothe are Origin players aswell