What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2007 Best Backline Debate

tbone10

Juniors
Jono078 said:
Top 5 Backlines IMO

1 Broncos
2 Dragons
3 Storm
4 Cowboys
5 Eels

I love the fact no one rates Manly's backline! It will make this season so much sweeter.

Stranger

Coach
icewind said:
Backline:

1. Broncos
2. Storm (not much in it between these two sides)
3. Daylight
4. Dragons
5. Eels
6. Knights
7. Eagles

Honestly mate, apart from the Johns and Mullen factor, if the Knights backline is within the top 10 backlines in the comp there are some pretty pathetic teams out there...

Originally Posted by adamkungl
Hunt is easily in the top 3 fullbacks in the game, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.
Definately.

Mr Saab

Referee
dazza62 said:
Tell me how many 80 mtr tries hunt has scored after catching a bomb on the fly?

Is that your criteria when judging a fullback? Scoring tries after catching the high ball?
You are very easily pleased.

Jono078

Referee
tbone10 said:
I love the fact no one rates Manly's backline! It will make this season so much sweeter.

Manly are 6th on my list :p

If I rated each teams backline this would be best to worst IMO

1 Broncos
2 Dragons
3 Storm
4 Cowboys
5 Eels
6 Sea Eagles
7 Wests Tigers
8 Knights
9 Bulldogs
10 Roosters
11 Titans
12 Panthers
13 Sharks
14 Warriors
15 Rabbitohs
16 Raiders

Mr Saab said:
Is that your criteria when judging a fullback? Scoring tries after catching the high ball?
You are very easily pleased.

No ..but you asked the question about bowen under the high ball ..

& you seem to be pleased with a fullback who offers zero in attack without someone to set him up.

Juniors
ummm...

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Matt King
4. Anthony Quinn
5. Steve Turner
6. Greg Inglis
7. Cooper Cronk

Need i say anymore?

If not the best in induvidual raw talent then definately the most exciting backline in the competition, and the dally m player of the year directing them from dummy half, look out anyone who plays them this year

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Not the best backline, but in a few years may develop into a good combination, Gordon(if he is selected at centre) and Jennings can prove to be a dynamic young pairing.

1.Wesser
2.Lewis
3.Jennings
4.Gordon
5.Rooney/Daniela
6.Wallace
7.Gower

_Johnsy

Referee
I have a question for the mods, who and how was this thread started. "best backline thread" It was not me, obviously someone has taken a section of another post and went to the effort to initiate this one from my other post. Who ever it was, are they that lazy they could not just start the thread under their own name? FFS

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Top 16 backlines for 2007, pretty straight forward.

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Parramatta
4. St George
5. West tigers
6. NQ
7. Warriors
8. Roosters
9. Cantebury
10. Newcastle
11. Penrith
12. Cronulla
13. Souths
14. Manly
15. Canberra
16. Gold Coast.

Kiwi

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
I have a question for the mods, who and how was this thread started. "best backline thread" It was not me, obviously someone has taken a section of another post and went to the effort to initiate this one from my other post. Who ever it was, are they that lazy they could not just start the thread under their own name? FFS

It is kinda obvious why they spllit it, build a bridge and stop whinging

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Disco said:
As if Manly arn't in the top 5 backlines, ffs give me a break

There not, they're owned by many teams. Orford cant perform in big games, Burns is plain sh*t and will be lucky to play many in firsts, Hicks lol and Lyon is behind many since returning include Tahu, Hayne.

Without Ben Kennedy i think Manly will be lucky to make the 8

Disco

Bench
Ron......you are absolutly kidding yourself

Finch is rubbish and unproven at 5/8, Smith is up and down, Ben Smith is solid but should look at moving to the backrow soon, Tahu and Grothe are quality and Hayne looks good but lets see how he backs up

Hicks craps on Burt, and players like Reddy and Inu, whilst having big raps are unproven at this stage

Face it a combined backline would read

1.Stewart
2.Hayne
3.Tahu
4.Bell
5.Grothe
6.Lyon
7.Orford

and thats being generous in not having Matai ahead of Hayne

Disco

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
Top 16 backlines for 2007, pretty straight forward.

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Parramatta
4. St George
5. West tigers
6. NQ
7. Warriors
8. Roosters
9. Cantebury
10. Newcastle
11. Penrith
12. Cronulla
13. Souths
14. Manly
15. Canberra
16. Gold Coast.
I know you hate Manly, but in listing there backline 14th your losing all credibitly

Snoz

Juniors
Manly might come in somewhere around 5th or 6th but there is plenty of improvement in the players.

Stewart, Matai & Burns are all still young.

Orford played below his best last season. Bell is mr consistent while Lyon - who knows - could be a dud, could be a superstar. Wingers are average at best. Not much tryscoring ability in the Manly wingers.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Disco said:
Ron......you are absolutly kidding yourself

Finch is rubbish and unproven at 5/8, Smith is up and down, Ben Smith is solid but should look at moving to the backrow soon, Tahu and Grothe are quality and Hayne looks good but lets see how he backs up

Hicks craps on Burt, and players like Reddy and Inu, whilst having big raps are unproven at this stage

Face it a combined backline would read

1.Stewart
2.Hayne
3.Tahu
4.Bell
5.Grothe
6.Lyon
7.Orford

and thats being generous in not having Matai ahead of Hayne

I think Finch sucks but he's still better then Orford...:lol:

Lyons no 5/8 But i'd have him at 3 instead of Tahu and tahu on the wing instead of hayne....

_Johnsy

Referee
Kiwi said:
It is kinda obvious why they spllit it, build a bridge and stop whinging

if they use my name to start a thread, they could at least let me know, or is the person that lazy or just thought it would be easier to do it under another persons name ?

Surely letting the person know is not too much to ask ?

Latest posts