What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2013/2014 Team Thread

Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett said he was happy with the enthusiasm shown by his team during their 18-6 win over the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Coffs Harbour on Saturday night.
“We were good without doing anything special which is probably where you want to be for your first pre-season game of the year,” he said.
“They all put their hand up and that is the part I couldn’t get them to do last year.
“And they helped each other out and stuck with it when things got tough.”
Bennett said while he has a fair idea of who will line-up for the Knights in round one, the performance of all 30-players in Coffs Harbour has made the process more complicated.
“I don’t think there was a bad player out there tonight,” Bennett explained.
“It isn’t going to be easy and a few players sorted themselves out there tonight.
“And showed me things I am looking for.
“I have another week to finalise all of that.”
One player Bennett said he can tick off for round one is young half back Tyrone Roberts.
“We will find a place for him in the seventeen,” he said.
“He is too valuable not to have there somewhere.
“He did a great job there tonight in that second team which had a lot of young blokes.”
Bennett also praised the performance of returning captain Kurt Gidley who before Saturday night’s trial had not played a game since round eight of last season.
“Kurt is a great asset to the team,” the coach added.
“His confidence and belief rubs off on everyone around him and they get better as a result.”
The Knights will remain in Coffs Harbour until Tuesday, when they travel to Tamworth. CLICK HERE for more information.
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Enthusiasm-impresses-Bennett/68488

So looks like Roberts has a spot. Probably the bench i would imagine, with gids going into hooker at times and Roberts going to half.

Tyrone in the 14 would be worth watching. I am interested to see how our bench looks by round one more so than the starting team. When names like McKinnon and Cuthbo are under pressure to retain their spots it is a good sign. I really am looking forward to seeing Sims, Frei, McKinnon and Leilua get some solid first grade experience this season.

Last edited:

First Grade
Sounds like the plan could be when Hilder needs a rest Kidley into hooker and young tyrone into half.

Not sure if he's defensively sound enough for it though...

Could you have a hooker defend out on the wing, have him
as an attacking hooker. All it would mean would be Tahu defends as a second rower and Scott defends in the front row.

I don't think that reshuffle would be too dramatic?

Spot On

Coach
I wouldn't think Tyrone will go to hooker. I also think McKinnon is going to struggle to cut it. Not sure where he fits in.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
The top 13 is pretty much settled, but I'd love to see this team in Round 1.

1. Boyd
2. McManus
3. Gagai
4. Tahu
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Gidley (c)
8. Snowden
9. Hilder
10. Mason
11. Scott
12. Houston
13. Smith

14. Roberts - I think he'd do well filling in at hooker too. A strong defender for his size and good speed off the mark. I wouldn't like to move Gids around just yet.
15. Cuthbertson - Has earned his bench spot. He was our best prop at the back end of last year, imo.
16. Sims - Seems like a guy who can come on and lay a platform with some big runs. He was physically dominant in the 20's and I've heard hes put on around 10kg in the pre-season.
17. Fa'alogo - Brings what we need - aggression. Smith will need a rest later in the match.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'm not sold on the idea of Houston in the back row. To me he's to one dimensional. To be a good 2nd rower, having good speed and a good offload are big trump cards. House imo lacks these qualities. He's an ideal lock as he can play like another prop except with more mobility and a high workrate.

I've always liked th idea of gidley doing short bursts at hooker. I've.just got doubts that Bennett will move him from the halves though. Roberts at the end of the year demonstrated that he's able to defend well. If he's bulked up more over the offseason then a replacement hooking role may be on the cards.

b4l

Juniors
Mckinnon will be on the bench somewhere.
Looks like Sims, Rochow Tetevano and Frei will all miss out.

House's workrate is unbelievable. He is not a hard runner or hitter as we well know. I do however think Nev may displace him as the backrow of Smith, scott and Costigan will be a bruise fest for opposition teams. They also have a good understanding of what is needed to turn up defensive pressure. on paper the hardest backrow in the game.House off the bench could well end up being the case.

Last edited:

b4l

Juniors
14. Roberts
15. Cutherbuston
16. Costigan
17. McKinnon

Costigan and Cutherbuston.
Looks like Fa'alogo will miss out too.

Big Tim

First Grade
Cant see House on the bench as a mainstay. His biggest attribute is high minutes, and high workrate.

If he were to come on at the 20-25 min mark and stay on for the rest of the game I can see value in it. being a genuine bench player would waste his biggest asset IMO.

Latest posts