What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2013/2014 Team Thread

Johns Magic

Referee
Tahu will never play Origin again.

The talk of Leilua being an Origin formality in the near future is ridiculous. The stars all aligned for him last year when he made the extended squad, and I don't think he's knocking on the door that hard.

RABK

Referee
Jennings and Morris yes, they should be our centres as long as fit. Lawrence? Tahu is more deserving of Origin selection than post hip surgery Lawrence, he was awful last year.

Perhaps stars aligned for Leulia last year - bolter for CvsC and was close to the best on park combined with at the time only jennings been the only NSW centre as a proven rep player, he must have come close to pipping the then unproven Morris for that spot.

But you can't discredit that the NSW powers that be are actually starting to identify potential long term Origin players from a young age with these emerging Blues squads and that Origin selection is awaiting kids like Leulia if they find consistency in perfomance and attitude. There will always be players injured, retiring, leaving, losing form etc and the whole idea of the emerging blues squad is for these kids to realise they are only some first grade consistency away from a tap on the shoulder. Leilua was in that boat last year - obviously he is starting from scratch this year. Though the selection of a guy like Loko who has only played 3-6 games in the last 2 years shows that once identified as a talent you remain in their plans.

Let's not get carried away though - the guy has the physical attributes to be a pretty devastating outside back but overall i'd take a skillful Dane Gagai type centre over a brute ball running centre every day of the week. I actually think Likiliki is more a pure brute than Leulia but for whatever reason Likiliki has never really been given his shot. At 21 years of age Leulia has runs on the board to show he can punish opposite centres but simply has poor handling.

Not a bad project for Bennett to have at 100k a season.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
We sign arguably the two hardest forwards in the game in Beau Scott and Jeremy Smith. We then add two young centres whose origin selections are only a matter of when in the from of Gagai (albeit we signed him for half of last season) and Leulia. Without doubt we have been either very fortunate or very astute in recruitment for 2013. Everyone should not discount Timana playing left wing at the expense of McManus. Not saying it will definitely happen but Timana is a class player who many still think can play origin if his form is good enough. We could theoretcially lose our entire backline to origin if injuries were to go through both camps hard. Highly unlikely but it certainly has the talent we have never ever seen in our club's existence. Joey would cut his arm off to have that backline behind him five or six years back.

Ask anyone around here and they'll tell you I'm the most idiotic optimistic genius on these forums. HOWEVER, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.

JSmith and BScott WERE pretty hard players back a couple of seasons ago. Both are getting on and they both have been injury prone lately... They MIGHT be the most bruising 2nd row pair in the league OR they'll spend the majority of the season on the sideline.

BJ and Gagai are talented but they are about half a pint away from being the Balotelli of the NRL. I hope they both play to their potential and mature as people and both play SOO. However, I'm personally still skeptical...

Tahu won't every play Origin again... He isn't a winger no more, a second rower or impact forward at best. As much as I love Tahu, I'd pick McManus or Kev in front of him on the wing.

There's my 2 cents.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Lawrence had a quiet season last year after coming back from one of the most debilitating injuries an athlete can sustain. Naturally he was always going to struggle to get back into top form.

With a full preseason under his belt free from any complications, Im confident he will get back to his best in 2013 and push for a NSW jumper. He is a talented kid

Chris Lawrence Joker? Agreed if so. A very talented dude. I hope we sort this Leilua kid out cos he has some potential. However so have many others before him. Chris Walker at one stage was being labelled the next Renouf. If he wasn't such a dick off field he may well have got there.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Odd fantasy football question, but which of these guys do you rate as the better prospect?

Adam Clydsdale, Jackson Hill, Jake Lawrence, or Kurt Warden?

Hell, can anybody tell me anything about any of them?

Silent Knight

First Grade
If Billy was still here he'd deliver a full dossier on each player. As it stands I don't know jack so my reply is primarily useless. But I'm bored.

hugzy

Juniors
a minute after saying i'm not keen for the new season i realised i need to start researching for the upcoming vnrl season. would this be our team in rd 1?

1. Boyd
2. Big D Uate
3. Gagai
4. Tahu
5. J Mac/KV Naguama
6. Mullen
7. Oh Godley
8. Snow Kayden
9. Bedsy
10. - i forgot
11. J Smith
12. B Scott
13. Houston

14. Mason
16. - wow i actually cant remember who we have anymore...
17. T Roberts

Rolla

Juniors
a minute after saying i'm not keen for the new season i realised i need to start researching for the upcoming vnrl season. would this be our team in rd 1?

1. Boyd
2. Big D Uate
3. Gagai
4. Tahu
5. J Mac/KV Naguama
6. Mullen
7. Oh Godley
8. Snow Kayden
9. Bedsy
10. - i forgot
11. J Smith
12. B Scott
13. Houston

14. Mason
16. - wow i actually cant remember who we have anymore...
17. T Roberts

Bedsy will be injured for the first few weeks.

Mason will likely start.

McKinnon will likely grab a bench spot.
Don't know how FAAlogo has looked either or Nev

doggone

Juniors
Anyone think Wayne will push Kids into the number 9 and put Roberts in the 7 while Bedsy is out?

Doubt it, why would you train him all season at 6 to push him to 9??? Doesn't make sense.

Serc

First Grade
Here's some info for you fellas

Buderus on the mend
By BRETT KEEBLE
Feb. 4, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

INSPIRATIONAL Knights general Danny Buderus feels like "a new man" less than a week after undergoing back surgery that has salvaged his 14th and final NRL campaign.
The former Newcastle, NSW and Australian captain is back at home and has already begun the rehabilitation and recovery process in preparation for an anticipated return late next month or in early April.
Knights chief executive Matt Gidley, Buderus's friend and long-time former teammate, said the veteran hooker was already feeling the benefits of the discectomy.
In the procedure, surgeons removed herniated disc material pressing against Buderus's spinal cord in his lower back and causing him extreme pain.
"I've just been on the phone with Danny for 20 minutes and he's fantastic," Gidley told the Newcastle Herald on Monday night.
"He said it was instant relief, so his recovery's going superbly well.
"He's a new man, he was just telling me now.
"He feels fantastic, he said the surgery went really well, and now he's just working his way through recovery, getting physio and doing some rehab.
"He's looking forward to working through his rehab program and his recovery and getting ready to play footy again."
Gidley said there was no definite return date set, but coach Wayne Bennett said last week that the club's medical staff were working towards an eight-week recovery period.
If Buderus was cleared on March 27, eight weeks after the operation, he could be available to play the round-four game against the Raiders at Hunter Stadium on Sunday, March 31, or the round-five game against the Dragons at Jubilee Oval on Sunday, April 7.
"We're aiming for eight weeks," Bennett said.
"That's our margin call. These guys are elite athletes and they rehab better than anybody . . ..
"There have been a couple of other instances . . . when guys got back in six to eight weeks."
Buderus, who turns 35 tomorrow, will be the NRL's oldest player this season.
He will start the season on 242 NRL games, needing eight to pass Andrew Johns (249) as the Knights' most capped player.
Gidley said former Raiders hooker Travis Waddell would still join the Knights in Coffs Harbour next week to play an NRL trial against the Rabbitohs on February 16.
Waddell is training with the Indigenous All Stars in Brisbane this week in preparation for the annual exhibition game against the NRL All Stars at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.The 23-year-old hooker is contracted to Queensland Cup club Souths Logan but spent a week training with the Knights last month.
Meanwhile, Knights recruits Jeremy Smith, David Fa'alogo and Anthony Quinn will join some of their new teammates at three primary schools in Singleton today as part of the annual NRL community carnival.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1279046/buderus-on-the-mend/?cs=306

Latest posts