What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2016 positives thread

perverse

Referee
Of all the options available to us at the time, Hodko was almost the absolute worst - which I laid out in detail at the time. We could have gone for Taylor, we could have sounded out and taken a punt on Richie Myler at the time, Cornish was looking for a home... instead we took the plod option, and paid through the nose for the privilege. Hodko is doing what he has always done, just in a much worse team.

aqua_duck

Coach
Of all the options available to us at the time, Hodko was almost the absolute worst - which I laid out in detail at the time. We could have gone for Taylor, we could have sounded out and taken a punt on Richie Myler at the time, Cornish was looking for a home... instead we took the plod option, and paid through the nose for the privilege. Hodko is doing what he has always done, just in a much worse team.

Couldn't have said it any better. At the time I ranked all the starting halves in the comp and Hodko was from memory 9th, yet because he was better than Roberts that's all that mattered. No one considered the fact that he was playing in a team that Kris Keating lead to a grand final 2 years earlier. Who know Taylor might've been a flop in our team but it's a gamble we had to take.

Billythekid

First Grade
Couldn't have said it any better. At the time I ranked all the starting halves in the comp and Hodko was from memory 9th, yet because he was better than Roberts that's all that mattered. No one considered the fact that he was playing in a team that Kris Keating lead to a grand final 2 years earlier. Who know Taylor might've been a flop in our team but it's a gamble we had to take.

Even if he was a flop at least he would have freed up some more salary cap space to either keep some of your juniors or try and recruit someone. Now you're stuck with another bad contract instead of being able to spend the money on someone who would actually improve the team.

aqua_duck

Coach
Even if he was a flop at least he would have freed up some more salary cap space to either keep some of your juniors or try and recruit someone. Now you're stuck with another bad contract instead of being able to spend the money on someone who would actually improve the team.

Yeah but signing Hodko allowed management beat each other off thinking what a coup they'd secured by signing the NSW halfback, and a lot of naive fans bought it hook like and sinker, in fact I remember some people saying that this was the biggest signing in the history of the club

Trent91

Juniors
Yeah but signing Hodko allowed management beat each other off thinking what a coup they'd secured by signing the NSW halfback, and a lot of naive fans bought it hook like and sinker, in fact I remember some people saying that this was the biggest signing in the history of the club

The Hodkinson signing was a pretty underwhelming one for most who don't just blindly follow the club.

Outside of Kennedy and Brian Carney, even though he was only here for a season, our star signings have mostly been rubbish this millennium.

Burns

First Grade
13434884_10154168214582429_3119092125673986070_n.jpg

#truetotheredandblue #Knight4eva :roll:

Not many will agree but i can see the 2017 pre season potentially as our best in a long time. The kids' pride will be burning after this season. The humiliation will hit them deep.

Every pre season is the best pre season, filled with hopes and dreams.. Will mullo have a break out year and be the next joey? will uate regain his superstar form? Will our young guys take a big step up? Will the new plod signings provide a breath of fresh air? The unknown is so glorious during off season.. Then after the first few rounds we realise nothing has changed and it's business as usual.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Yep, and I'll probably still feel optimistic too despite knowing all of that

Yet I still keep coming back to this foul mistress of a club