What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 4 Nations

Godz Illa

Coach
There are only 2 competitive international teams. Us and NZ. Thats not much of an international competition. No wonder other codes have a good chuckle at us over it.
England beat NZ last year. England beat us a few years ago.
What codes are having a chuckle at us? AFL with their international fools contest? Union? Who was chuckling when Australia beat Namibia in the rugby world cup 142-0? Speaking of world cups, the league world cup pre-dates the union.

Minh

First Grade
Would like to see a tougher England like in the days of Ellery Hanley, Gary Schofields and that fat halfback I forgot his name but he could really play. Back then when it was a proper Kangaroos tour, I remember Big mal scoring the length of the field in the dying stages to save us from a series defeat.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I watched the Poms V. Oz and if Saints couldn't beat that lot from Old Blighty I'd be stunned. I was in awe how 2nd rate they were, bar Burgess and the skipper, the rest were just pffft.

Big Norm

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It'll be a different affair in the World Club Challenge Norm.

And Saintsgirl, I haven't read too many posts as silly as yours. With your attitude, world beaters NZ would never have risen to become a truly competitive RL nation. And you are obviously unaware that England defeated NZ last year.

Perhaps you should stick with AFL. I hear it's big in Nauru.

Just my own personal opinion, you don't have to like it.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
It'll be a different affair in the World Club Challenge Norm.

I always thought it would be, but then I saw what England offered LOL. I've not had a look at the Wigan squad, but you are right, it will be a different affair.

Big Norm

Chook Norris

First Grade
They need to get over the whole international game thing. Rugby league isn't and I can't see it ever being an international game. Leave that sort of thing to Soccer and Rugby Union.

Lets just concentrate on our national game and the odd game against the kiwis.

do not agree with that attitude at all. International league may not be strong, but it has a base. It has a presence. Removing international matches would remove its international presence altogether

big pat

Coach
I look at the Dragons side, and frankly I dont really see anyone who belongs in the Australian side (i.e. best in slot), this is what I have said all year.. we are playing beyond our abilities as a disciplined team, and this is why I get frustrated when we are compared to the other sides with "genuine" Origin and Internationals, who have the talent to play more razzle dazzle.

The only guys who have a chance are:
Creagh - Classy Backrower, but Lewis was best on field against England & Thaiday was outstanding too, but from the bench perhaps.

Morris - When in form he is a world class finisher, but he isnt in outstanding form right now, and he isnt as strong at creating opportunities from a stnding start, like a Hayne or Slater, or Gordon etc, and thats whats needed at rep level, you dont get the space like in the NRL.

Boyd - Maybe a wing spot, he is a class player, again not brilliant at creating opportunities out of nothing, and unfortunately for him, there are some freaks at Fullback in the NRL right now. However he did play well on the wing for QLD.

Cooper - His performance for NSW basically killed his chances, but he has the quality.. im not big on either Tate or Tonga, both are perfectly fine players, I just feel we have better out there, Tate is solid, but hes slow, and it was painful watching him mess up opportunities on the right, and not get the ball to Morris.

but agree with the others, there are some really questionable picks in the Australian Team.. Tuqori, Watmough & maybe Gallen getting starts makes no sense, I just think we have much better options.. likewise with Tonga & Tate.

can't agree with morris, the aussie attack seems to have a love affair with lote, and morris is getting left out, and i can't see the reason moving brett for some slow coach has been, and don't start me on that hog tate.

Mr Red

First Grade
on the positive side - without players like Creagh being selected, and Boyd getting zero game time, it will allow the team to get a good break and get ready for next season.
until they realise that rep football MUST be played during the season, and not at the end it will never get taken seriously.
the actual NRL season needs to be 4 -6 weeks shorter, and this will allow international games to be played throughout the season.

TheRev

Coach
You cant compare international games with the Club Challenge, Saints had 1 player in last weeks game, and who knows what form we will be in pre-season 2011, let alone how our style of football will compare with the english version and referee interpretations..

RedVDave

First Grade
YOUNG NAMED FOR TEST DEBUT

4/11/2010 3:49:54 PM

Dragon’s hooker Dean Young will make his Australian Test debut this Saturday after being named in the Kangaroo’s line-up to face the Kiwis in Auckland this weekend.
Young has been named on the interchange and will join Dragons teammates Darius Boyd and Brett Morris at Eden Park this Saturday in the final Four Nations round game.
Boyd, the 2010 International Fullback of the Year will wear the number one jersey and play his first match of this series while Morris will play on the wing.
The Australian team is:

1.Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Brent Tate
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Lote Tuqiri
6. Todd Carney
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matthew Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. David Shillington
11. Greg Bird
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Paul Gallen

14. Dean Young
15. Petero Civoniceva
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Robbie Farah
18. Kurt Gidley

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=31711&title=young-named-for-test-debut

Sorry if it has already been mentioned but congratulations are in order for Young who will make his debut and Boyd makes his fullback debut for Australia also.

Red'n'White

Juniors
4 nations = what a joke...... We all knew Aus vs NZ final and still had the Aussies play the Kiwis in the third game last week. I think the Kiwis were foxing in the last game and expect a close more torrid game tonight.... For mine Kiwis by 8......24-16......

RednWhite

Bench
Kiwis has 3 players from the Premiers and the Roos had just one. And how good was J.Smith and Nightingale.

TheRev

Coach
I was patches of the game, everytime Nightingale had the ball, his class was stamped all over it, probably the different between the 2 sides really, im not a fan of our centres/winger combinations, especially Touquri.

Slater was amazing for us at the back, but the kiwis fullback Lance Hohaia tore shreds off us at every opportunity, he looked so good in attack.

dragondad

First Grade
Two forward pass tries for the Kiwis, one to win the game, and Brett Morris treads on the touch line again. The officials haven't improved!

Minh

First Grade
NZ had our premiership champions and Australia didn't bother picking us bar Morris and paid the price for it, very smart Mr Sheens leaving Boyd out for Lote.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Boyd should have replaced Morris who struggled all series.

Carney should have replaced Lockyer.

Lawrence should have replaced Tonga.

Farah to the bench.

But in the end, the brilliance of Marshall who must now be rated no 1 in the game.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I only watched the 1st half. The highlight of the 1st 40mins was Slater being taken out by Lance Hohaia (Sp??). It was interesting to note that during the national anthums all the Australian grubs were grouped together - Slater, Bird and Gallen.

Reffing was again poor. The International game does nothing for me. Nor does that pathetic mo that Bird wears.

Big Norm

Minh

First Grade
I only watched the 1st half. The highlight of the 1st 40mins was Slater being taken out by Lance Hohaia (Sp??). It was interesting to note that during the national anthums all the Australian grubs were grouped together - Slater, Bird and Gallen.

Reffing was again poor. The International game does nothing for me. Nor does that pathetic mo that Bird wears.

Big Norm

Lol "grubs were grouped together".:lol:

Latest posts