What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The a***hole of Australia

Loudstrat

Coach
It may be in the middle "demographically" (I wouldn't mind seeing proof of that), but the SFS is a more central and accessible venue (not necessarily by public transport).

If it's not in the middle, how is it central?

It's not for anyone west of Petersham, north of Lane Cove or south of Kogarah.

I have only been to this stadium 4 times.

3 SOO matches and Warriors v Dogs.

For the Warriors match I was lucky enough to be in one of the corporate seated areas, which was uncovered and had only slightly more comfortable seat and a 14' TV for replays and coverage. The seat was on about the 40m line, and high enough to see the entire ground and still identify players. The crowd was around 12,000 for memory and this was after Kiwis and Polys were granted free entry. The only atmosphere came from the Kiwi section.

The 3 SOO matches I went to were game 2 last year, the only atmosphere was from the scattering of QLD'ers, and games 1 and 3 this year. Game one this year was pathetic for how much origin supposedly means to you Aussies, the most noise I heard was at halftime while a Maroon and Blue bantered each other with overused toilet humour. Game 3 was no different, a decider, the Blues looking for a much needed series win, and 5 min proir to kickoff the guy on the loudspeaker has to start bellowing out go blue and how its Buderus' last origin, and to get behind him. What a joke, surely the biggest game of the year bar the GF and the ground announcer needs to rev up the fans?

As to my position? Not bad seats and a pretty good view of the action when in was down my end.

Now an 80,000 seater stadium at near capacity with an average atmosphere has NOTHING to do with the stadium.

Take a look at yourself as fans Sydney folk, stop whinging about something you can't avoid and improve it yourself.

Bobby Meldrum

Juniors
I haven't been to too many macthes at the ground and I have sat behind the in-goal ends where the view has been fairly decent and have had no real problem. Obviously when a smaller crowd attends there wouldn't be a great atmosphere and as a viewing arena it doesn't compare to the SFS and suburban grounds but I don't think its bad as what many people are saying. If less games are played there I think people won't be as dissappointed about their visits when they do go there. At the moment the ground is over-used and its clearly not supposed to be that type of ground where as the SFS, Suncorp and SCG are all fine for a week after week experience.

Loudstrat

Coach
Well said, Bobby.

I think it's generally the lack of atmosphere at the ground. You could have 12k hermits there, yet 12k at Leichhardt is a fair atmosphere.

Hanscholo

Bench
THe stadium was built for the future, it gets used when its needed, which is why we needed it. Its fine.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes, we needed more than the sfs for grand finals. Imagine the pasting the ARL/State Govt would have got if the internet was around from 88-98?

Yet, we don't need Stadium Australia for 12k games when we have Leichhardt, NSO, Kogarah. Bluetongue etc sitting idle.

Knightmare

Coach
Too far from the action and too far from the CBD, it's stuck in the middle of nowhere. Qlder's bagging Sydney crowds should remember what the Broncos were averaging 7-8 years back when their home ground was a very similar demographic to Homebush...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Too far from the action and too far from the CBD, it's stuck in the middle of nowhere. Qlder's bagging Sydney crowds should remember what the Broncos were averaging 7-8 years back when their home ground was a very similar demographic to Homebush...

Most of QE2's seats were in uncovered, temporary stands that they never bothered to take down. That place was a complete dump, nothing like the quality you have at Homebush.

Parra

Referee
Did they supply binoculars?

Problem at ANZ is that punters cannot even see the numbers of the players involved. It is a stadium for fans who like 'atmosphere' rather that the sport itself. Hence the complaints about the lack of atmosphere. There are very few complaints about the visibility of the sport because those fans stopped going long ago.

Soccer can still draw a crowd at the joint for the same reasons - people who like whistles and streamers seem to love soccer, and what is happening on the pitch is of secondary interest.

It may be in the middle "demographically" (I wouldn't mind seeing proof of that), but the SFS is a more central and accessible venue (not necessarily by public transport).

Are you on smack?

The SFS is abysmal to get to. From anywhere west of it, it requires a train and a bus to get there, or at the very least a 5k walk which includes a fair sized hill.

ANZ might have its dramas, but getting there reasonably easily isn't one of them.

bobmar28

Bench

More central for who? Where do you live? No wait, let me guess. Somewhere in the eastern suburbs.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't recall that ever being anything more than public speculation.

innsaneink

Referee
Olympic Park is at least somewhat alive on weekends these days with tours, retail, recreational activities etc and moreso on weekdays (business)....I can recall when there was nothing there just after the olympics, just the empty stadiums. was like something out of a holocaustic movie, tumbleweeds, echoes etc etc...

Parra

Referee
The site at Homebush is a fantastic legacy of the olympics. The athletic facilities are booked solid by schools, the general precinct is maintained well. It is a very good piece of accessible, useful open space.

The stadium is an expensive dud. Parking is too expensive, entry prices are prohibitive, food and drink quality is the worst in the country - and the dearest as well. The staff have NFI at all - at any event you go to there.

There is not one decent spot to sit and have a beer or anything else. There is no-where to meet up before or after a game and to walk around the stadium is a chore.

Some seating is remotely usable - western side, right down near the fence. This way you can get a good view of some of the action. Once you are out of the terraced areas you are a good 50-100 metres from anything you came to see. The entire eastern side is useless, as is any spot at the northern or southern ends. Simply too far away.

Timmah

Staff member
The site at Homebush is a fantastic legacy of the olympics. The athletic facilities are booked solid by schools, the general precinct is maintained well. It is a very good piece of accessible, useful open space.

The stadium is an expensive dud. Parking is too expensive, entry prices are prohibitive, food and drink quality is the worst in the country - and the dearest as well. The staff have NFI at all - at any event you go to there.

There is not one decent spot to sit and have a beer or anything else. There is no-where to meet up before or after a game and to walk around the stadium is a chore.

Some seating is remotely usable - western side, right down near the fence. This way you can get a good view of some of the action. Once you are out of the terraced areas you are a good 50-100 metres from anything you came to see. The entire eastern side is useless, as is any spot at the northern or southern ends. Simply too far away.

To be fair there is the Brewery about 200m walk from the stadium, plenty of people meet there pre- and post-match.

I haven't got much bad to say about ANZ apart from the atmosphere... but that's generally because I shell out the extra to get a good seat. If that's not your go, then the stadium probably isn't going to be as enjoyable. As I've intimated elsewhere, the ideal would be to have the SFS in Olympic Park and ANZ next to the SCG.

Parra

Referee
The seats that cost the most are nowhere near as good as the seats I described. I've been to a lot of events at the place. At least in a box you can watch the tele.

As far as the brewery goes - that is about the sort of place that suits ANZ. About as pleasant as the waiting room at Silverwater jail, and as welcoming. When you have to go to ANZ the key is to get in & out as fast as you can.

And for everyone claiming the place is accessible - this is true only for people who need to access Lidcombe station. Isn't that an eye opener for the uninitiated. Let alone the people who make the mistake of avoiding the crush and spending some time in the pub across the road.....

Timmah

Staff member
That's a very narrow-minded view. Sure, for minor events such as club matches there's an extra, very short train trip involved to get there by train. But in general, most roads and rail lines in there, particular for big events, are very well set-up.