What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ABC at it again

Cletus

First Grade
images

If you can find an article on an AFL rape/assault/drug conviction that says "I used to be a staunch AFL fan, but for the sake of the children I'm following NRL now" then get back to me about conspiricies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
always amuses me that they are willing to quit the game because of one or two idiots, yet not willing to stick with it despite the fact they admit we have a huge number of players who are doing great work with charities etc to make the world a better place.

I guess an article that goes: I am sticking with RL and want my kids to play the game so they grow up a decent members of society willing to help others, doesn't get airtime?

russ13

First Grade
She's a Brisbane radio host.

Imagine if she was a Melbourne radio host and wrote that against the AFL (which you could quite easily do given that code's off-field record).

She'd be run out of town.

That's the difference.

More on who she is:

http://www.springhillvoice.com/media2009.html

...Unfortunately Tingle fails to mention that Madonna King writes for the 'Courier Mail' and is married to David Fagan, who is the editor 'Courier-Mail'...

russ13

First Grade
I thought she may have been a patron of Female AFL in Queensland. But the patron is this bag of sh*t who is also a ABC Radio Personality?? :lol::

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...task=DETAIL&articleID=8952320&sectionID=53523

349334_1_M.jpg

Prominent Brisbane radio personality Kelly Higgins-Devine has been named the ambassador of the Queensland Female Football Academy.
The self proclaimed Lions fanatic has grown up around AFL with her Dad playing senior football in Bendigo and Uncle Kevin playing over 150 games for Geelong and Fitzroy.
Unlike the girls in the academy, Kelly was never given the chance to play football growing up and is impressed with the pathway available for female AFL players.
“My sister tried to organise a game between two schools but it wasn’t something that was really encouraged,” she said.
“It’s a shame because it looks like a lot of fun. It would have been great to get out and have a kick.”
With over 10,000 girls now playing AFL in Queensland, Kelly is thrilled to promote the game and be a positive role model for those involved.
“It’s very encouraging that there are girls out there playing football,” Mrs Higgins-Devine said.
“It’s fantastic that they have an opportunity to play a sport that they love as well as being able to follow their career ambitions.”

BTW that 10,000 figure seems fanciful. The have about 10 female clubs statewide & only field U16 & 18 teams in the juniors clubs.

http://www.aflq.com.au/index.php?id=561

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
If you can find an article on an AFL rape/assault/drug conviction that says "I used to be a staunch AFL fan, but for the sake of the children I'm following NRL now" then get back to me about conspiricies.

You'll have a hard time finding anything like that about the AFL period. When I tried looking up articles about the alleged Collingwood gang-rape half the links were taken down :roll:

Scarves

Juniors
Perception plays a massive role in communication. If people read stuff like those articles, then perception becomes involved - and it often sticks. Which is why we need to do more to stop incidents happening, especially on a regular occurrence. I know the clubs are doing heaps, but if we can do more then by all means do it.

Let's send kids to tertiary institutions on scholarships before they play full time football to get an education. Let them become more rounded people and get that crap out of their system before they are in the public spotlight. Send kids out for full time or almost full time work before they play full time football for the same reason. Bring them back as more rounded individuals. Punish harshly. Start initiatives for players which are advertised to the public often and regularly such as volunteer work. Run a documentary showing them doing good work over a season and what they experience. Make them human again and not "stars". Make them accessible to the average public. I don't mean just fan days either. I mean let people see them on television in average situations and find out what they experience. Television is the dominant medium around and has the most emotional impact, so if the NRL can make the players seem human again, rather than Neanderthals, it removes much of that perception associated with them. Not all but some.

So if players go to tertiary institutions they'll become more rounded individuals... Please enlighten me about what it is to be "more rounded".

I know two people in my family who didn't go to university yet one is a company CEO of an Australian top 100 firm, the other part owns a business that has an international presence. I also know many people who finished with uni degrees who are great people too. Also on those uni degree people, one in particular has stuffed his family with gambling debts, another is a guest of her majesty for some serious dishonesty offences.

I think you have missed the point in your crusade. Have people really had enough of all this terrible dog licking stuff, or are people happy to be so easily aghast when a Rugby League player does something, wrong, unhygienic, criminal, negligent, ridiculous, anti social or rude?

The facts are Rugby League sells papers. Rugby League orgies, scandals and animal feeding sell more papers. It's why the Bulldogs scadal received four full pages for 9 days but when Police received a legal advising not to charge it received half a page in one tabloid issue. Papers would rather sauce over truth, the social pages liftout are getting bigger and bigger in all metro papers. The fancy lifestyle is craved by many of the readership. The footballer lifestyle is one that mesmerises many. The judgement fallout against this Monaghan kid is a fantastic hypocritical hysteria. All the good this kid has done in his own time scored him zero points and very little in print area of the daily rag. None of these lads get elected into their positions of power, none are famous for fames sake, most are acknowledged by the community as being young men, full of beans, incredibly fit and fast, and usually with minimal education, yet some in the community still expect utopian behavioural perfection from these people.

Yeah they represent our game, and yes our game has faced numerous challenges from disclosed poor and alleged poor behaviour in recent seasons. Additionally in that period, despite all the doom and gloom from negative speakers - the popularity of Rugby League is soaring like never before.

This hope for glorious behaviour perfection... It's unrealistic. It doesn't matter to what lengths we go in education, deportment training, tertiary education, dog walking, tea party practise etc, you will still see some bloke in his 20's stuffing up. It is reality. The media are looking for people to stuff up, heck even Malcolm Fraser was caught with his pants down - oh terrible stuff.

People are so easily offended these days, some people appear to crave the feeling of being offended. We have lost out edge. I saw the photo of Joel Monaghan... although the move isn't in my bag of tricks, I wasn't offended. I didn't find it funny either but it's not my kind of joke, however in defence of them, those fellows aren't in my group of friends and it appears to have been an inside joke because the apologies are coming out faster than the XPT. So I wasn't hysterically offended, I haven't called for stiff one and only chance penalties. For me to be offended it takes a little more than what can be seen in this photo.

I understand many people have different values and different opinions to me but seriously, we put up with the Greens, we don't go around stoning them do we?

The bottom line for me out of all this is the over-reaction to this particular matter has been stark. It deserved a shake of the head, but strike me pink we as a society need to harden up a little, get a bit of perspective, empty the double standard gun and start getting on with our own lives. And at the same time keep supporting the footy... no matter the code that you prefer.

....or you can remain offended, best of luck with that.

chefman21

Juniors
So if players go to tertiary institutions they'll become more rounded individuals... Please enlighten me about what it is to be "more rounded".
Seriously? It means experiencing what life is like out into the REAL world. Didn't realise that was so hard to understand....:roll:

I know two people in my family who didn't go to university yet one is a company CEO of an Australian top 100 firm, the other part owns a business that has an international presence. I also know many people who finished with uni degrees who are great people too. Also on those uni degree people, one in particular has stuffed his family with gambling debts, another is a guest of her majesty for some serious dishonesty offences.
That's nice. But a footballers world is entirely different to those people's you just gave examples for.

I think you have missed the point in your crusade. Have people really had enough of all this terrible dog licking stuff, or are people happy to be so easily aghast when a Rugby League player does something, wrong, unhygienic, criminal, negligent, ridiculous, anti social or rude?
Yes. People have had enough. Why did the Roosters sponsors dump them last year? Why did the Raiders sponsors threaten the same. Why are so many people up in arms about the whole thing? If this was the first incident it might be different. But it's not. It's one of many.

The facts are Rugby League sells papers. Rugby League orgies, scandals and animal feeding sell more papers. It's why the Bulldogs scadal received four full pages for 9 days but when Police received a legal advising not to charge it received half a page in one tabloid issue. Papers would rather sauce over truth, the social pages liftout are getting bigger and bigger in all metro papers. The fancy lifestyle is craved by many of the readership. The footballer lifestyle is one that mesmerises many. The judgement fallout against this Monaghan kid is a fantastic hypocritical hysteria. All the good this kid has done in his own time scored him zero points and very little in print area of the daily rag. None of these lads get elected into their positions of power, none are famous for fames sake, most are acknowledged by the community as being young men, full of beans, incredibly fit and fast, and usually with minimal education, yet some in the community still expect utopian behavioural perfection from these people.
No one expects perfect behaviour. People expect standards of behaviour.

Yeah they represent our game, and yes our game has faced numerous challenges from disclosed poor and alleged poor behaviour in recent seasons. Additionally in that period, despite all the doom and gloom from negative speakers - the popularity of Rugby League is soaring like never before.
Are you sure it's soaring? Based on the last three Australian Census's, attendance at rugby league games has in fact dropped off based on population growth. The crowds may be bigger, but they haven't increased in line with population growth.

This hope for glorious behaviour perfection... It's unrealistic. It doesn't matter to what lengths we go in education, deportment training, tertiary education, dog walking, tea party practise etc, you will still see some bloke in his 20's stuffing up. It is reality. The media are looking for people to stuff up, heck even Malcolm Fraser was caught with his pants down - oh terrible stuff.
No one ever said the occasional one won't stuff up... But being in the real world getting a proper education as well as seeing the effects of what their current behaviour causes might just sway a few. How can it hurt? Many footballers struggle post career anyway, because their lives have been so well controlled and so sheltered. Many of them can't even pay a bill.

People are so easily offended these days, some people appear to crave the feeling of being offended. We have lost out edge. I saw the photo of Joel Monaghan... although the move isn't in my bag of tricks, I wasn't offended. I didn't find it funny either but it's not my kind of joke, however in defence of them, those fellows aren't in my group of friends and it appears to have been an inside joke because the apologies are coming out faster than the XPT. So I wasn't hysterically offended, I haven't called for stiff one and only chance penalties. For me to be offended it takes a little more than what can be seen in this photo.
I thought the argument was that the internet has desensitized people? How many of you have argued that society has gone soft AND THEN turned around and said the internet has desensitized us all.... So which is it? You can't have it both ways. :roll:

I understand many people have different values and different opinions to me but seriously, we put up with the Greens, we don't go around stoning them do we?
Wow...

The bottom line for me out of all this is the over-reaction to this particular matter has been stark. It deserved a shake of the head, but strike me pink we as a society need to harden up a little, get a bit of perspective, empty the double standard gun and start getting on with our own lives. And at the same time keep supporting the footy... no matter the code that you prefer.

....or you can remain offended, best of luck with that.
Society needs to harden up? Ever thought maybe you are wrong? How about you get a bit of perspective and look at things outside of rugby league?:roll::lol:

elbusto

Coach
Seriously? It means experiencing what life is like out into the REAL world. Didn't realise that was so hard to understand....:roll:

That's nice. But a footballers world is entirely different to those people's you just gave examples for.

Yes. People have had enough. Why did the Roosters sponsors dump them last year? Why did the Raiders sponsors threaten the same. Why are so many people up in arms about the whole thing? If this was the first incident it might be different. But it's not. It's one of many.

Are you sure it's soaring? Based on the last three Australian Census's, attendance at rugby league games has in fact dropped off based on population growth. The crowds may be bigger, but they haven't increased in line with population growth.

No one ever said the occasional one won't stuff up... But being in the real world getting a proper education as well as seeing the effects of what their current behaviour causes might just sway a few. How can it hurt? Many footballers struggle post career anyway, because their lives have been so well controlled and so sheltered. Many of them can't even pay a bill.

I thought the argument was that the internet has desensitized people? How many of you have argued that society has gone soft AND THEN turned around and said the internet has desensitized us all.... So which is it? You can't have it both ways. :roll:

Wow...

Society needs to harden up? Ever thought maybe you are wrong? How about you get a bit of perspective and look at things outside of rugby league?:roll::lol:
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!:shock:

elbusto

Coach

Scarves

Juniors

So tertiary education is the REAL world? Please. I went to uni. Studying what other people have written doesn't make you a more rounded indiviual... and the eye rolls haven't helped make that argument more impressive either.

I agree, everyone is an individual, everyone should be looked at individually, Joel has been a model footy player in the past.

The contract with Samsung expired, the company decided not to renew... the club ended up with a sponsor who dealt the Roosters a better hand along with positive charity revenue streams. The sponsor (Steggles) has since taken up the final two year option on the deal after a successful first year partnership.

On the Raiders, Don Furner categorically denied Raiders sponsors threatened a walk out, so unless you can spell out the threats I'm not smelling what you're actually shovelling. Personally I don't see a lot of people up in arms, I instead see much stark over reaction to this issue. I'd be more up in arms about Monaghan if he was caught drink driving. Most importantly that offence is a crime where lives are in serious danger. What Joel has done is a first time stupid act that took place in a private home. This kid does countless hours of charity work in his own time, none of which has earnt him any credit with people of "the glowing standards group" people not unlike yourself. This incident for me does not define Joel Monaghan. One stupid non criminal incident does not define you or me. I think the issue needs perspective.

Please spell out all these standards, and then if you can also list the schedule of proposed penalty point punishments for respective offences. What Joel did, there is no excuse for, but the only person I see suffering here is Joel Monaghan and then perhaps his family and close friends. Maybe he is on the list as the worlds biggest idiot, but I can't agree with a lynching of the kid out of the game.

Yes I'm sure it's soaring. Pay TV figures, crowds, membership and sponsorship all recently reported to be up and on an upward trend... that equals bottom line up and more revenue streams for the game. You are getting awfully technical focussing on lines in comparison to Census results. Last I heard the census is only a guide, I'm sure 56,000 people in Australia don't really worship Jedi Knight & the Force as a religion.

I agree with this statement. I like perspective, it's a good thing... don't you feel all warm and fuzzy about yourself now... go on... give yourself a good hug... that's better.

I've never used the word "desensit.." it's a rubbish word, When you say "how many of you have argued" please do not direct your point to me. I don't turn it around, I only want it one way... the hard way, like Dewey Cox.

Wow...

C'mon surely I deserved one of your famous eye rolls here. I actually chopped down two really big trees yesterday, one was a fifty year old Forest Red Gum. Glad it's gone. My backyard is safe from the evil tree.

No, I never thought that, but anytime you want to talk about it or feel the need for some more good oil advice, come right along and we can meet here again. Oh and don't forget to bring your icon friends.

How long has Uni been producing well-rounded individuals?

Most of the people I meet in my job that are recenty University educated are f**king nongs. The more time they are out of Uni, the better they get.

elbusto

Coach
I am tertiary educated as well (believe it or not). Its BS to argue that University gives you a well rounded anything.

In fact it is total crap and thoroughly elitist.:cool:

Scarves

Juniors
Good call from the Anti Christ and El Busto. I guess some people's perception of round is different to others. Does that deserve a smiley icon... I don't know the proper protocol.

shane87

Juniors
I, personally, couldn't give a flying toss about the AFL, but seriously dudes, the rest of what she said was pretty much spot on..she's a chick! whaddya expect.
My gf was pretty disgusted, so were every single one of my mates + the jokes flew thick and fast.

It wouldn't have mattered whether Monaghan was a rl player, the dude down the road or the president of the local dog club! once it got out the whole thing was open slather and fair enough, it was plain damn off and stupid..it doesn't matter the dog wasn't hurt or anyone else..stop comparing it to what any other sport does or what any other player, guy down the road or men from mars do!

The thing is, he did it, end of story.
Without Grandma, Grandad, Mum + Dad and the kids there is no NRL and that is what matters, it's what they think that matters..not that no-one was hurt in the making of the vid. And we do know what they thought.

And I'll tell you one thing! if Mum says her boys don't play, watch games or go to the games..then guess what.. NRL dies, and that's all that matters to me. Mum will overide Dad in most cases when it comes to this sort of thing..this incident was just the icing on the cake for my mum, grandma and gf.

Another wake up call for the boys..will they listen? I bloody hope so!
And no, I'm not ruled by the women in my family, but man I love peace so that's the way it goes most times. Back handing women to shut them up is just not on the cards and they don't give up. :)

gUt

Coach
All of that is fine Shane and reasonable. What we object to is the double standards that rugby league is subjected to in this country. The media, lead by the game's part owner, beats up every little (and big) negative story about our code because it sells units. It's a nice, safe target to sneer at by opinion hacks like King.

The reason the AFL is singled out by us, even without getting into issues of deliberate media and police cover ups or ignoring of incidents that would lead to bad press, is because AFL has an unearned reputation as the clean code but only at the expense/when compared to the manufactured consensus that league is the "bad" code.

chefman21

Juniors
So tertiary education is the REAL world? Please. I went to uni. Studying what other people have written doesn't make you a more rounded indiviual... and the eye rolls haven't helped make that argument more impressive either.

No. Tertiary education is about getting an education which means by nature they have to think for themselves, rather than being told what to do. Which is what happens with footballers. They have their managers that tell them where to sign and pay their bills, buy their homes and the like; PR people who handle any indiscretions; football managers that tell them where to be and when, coaches that tell them to do this today; dieticians telling them what to eat etc etc. It's not unlike being institutionalised.

Force them to get an education for 3-4 years and make them live in the real world. They will have to learn to pay bills, to do their own grocery shopping, go pay the rego, struggle financially and interact with society. They will have to do their own thinking. Not live the sheltered life of a footballer. By nature they become better rounded individuals. Not dopey footballers. Don't see what the problem is. They come out better equipped for retirement, they get all the crap out of their system away from the public eye and they can think for themselves.

The contract with Samsung expired, the company decided not to renew... the club ended up with a sponsor who dealt the Roosters a better hand along with positive charity revenue streams. The sponsor (Steggles) has since taken up the final two year option on the deal after a successful first year partnership.
They didn't renew because of player behaviour.
http://www.current.com.au/2009/07/07/article/Samsung-considers-whether-to-dump-Roosters/RKBVDOOCSD

On the Raiders, Don Furner categorically denied Raiders sponsors threatened a walk out, so unless you can spell out the threats I'm not smelling what you're actually shovelling.
It's about saving face.

Please spell out all these standards, and then if you can also list the schedule of proposed penalty point punishments for respective offences. What Joel did, there is no excuse for, but the only person I see suffering here is Joel Monaghan and then perhaps his family and close friends. Maybe he is on the list as the worlds biggest idiot, but I can't agree with a lynching of the kid out of the game.
Spell out the standards? Ummm... Really? You need a standard of behaviour in writing to realise that sh*tting in hotels, peeing on walls and getting your balls licked by a dog is not acceptable? How about beating your girlfriend? Drunk driving? Hmmm....

Yes I'm sure it's soaring. Pay TV figures, crowds, membership and sponsorship all recently reported to be up and on an upward trend... that equals bottom line up and more revenue streams for the game. You are getting awfully technical focussing on lines in comparison to Census results. Last I heard the census is only a guide, I'm sure 56,000 people in Australia don't really worship Jedi Knight & the Force as a religion.
It's not getting technical. If you want say crowd figures are up, then you need to look at a historical basis as well as how that compares to population growth. That's what you need to compare against. The number of people at games doesn't count, it's the percentage that matters. If the population increases and the percentage attending drops year to year in line with that population increase, then it is wrong to say crowds have increased. The number of people is not statistically significant. It's the percentage.

Latest posts