What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The All Things Darren Lockyer Thread.....

Ant

Juniors
This may have been done in another thread, but I was wondering what other people think of him as a 5/8th.

Personally I think some of the accolades he has gotten in the last week are a little over the top, but that is not to say I don't rate him highly.

My view, well the best 5/8ths that I have seen are lewis, kenny, fittler and daley in my time. From footage a little behind that I would add Fulton to the great 5/8ths of the past 35 years or so. Is he on par with those guys, well for mine at this stage no, but I think he can get to that level.

So to the guys on the next level guys who played origin and/or tests when the above 5 were not there, the likes of Lamb, Lyons, Walters, Barrett, M.Johns, A. Thompson, Florimo even Mundine. Now its debate that thoe guys are all in one group, but does Lockyer rate better than them, well for mine clearly yes.

So where he is he, well in between the greats and the champions. He is for mine the best support player I have seen, as good as lamb. He has speed which very few of the above possess. His defence can be brittle, but in the 2nd half of the year he has really improved. His improv play against a rushing defence on the last is 2nd to none. His short passing game is good, his long pass is not consistent tends to float a lot of balls and many don't hit the mark, in between can throw some pearlers. His long kicking game is good, kicks nice mid field bombs, attacking kicks while mostly good can vary in quality. Fantastic behind a winning pack, but like many halves can struggle when behind a losing one. That last point is perhaps a key, while lewis, fittler and daley had size and strength in those tough spots lockyer doesn't. Kenny is his great 5/8th days didn't either, but perhaps had a few more unorthodix tricks than Locky.

So in my view he currently sits behind the true champions, but has time to join them, but is a cut above the chasing pack.

Lockyer's a very good player at 5/8th, in amongst the Walters, Florimos, of the world. There is no way he's as good as Lewis, Kenny,Fulton or Daley at stand-off though.

A brilliant running fullback, that's what D Lockyer is. Does not have the skill or defence to be a great 5/8th.

The Preacher

First Grade
Fulton and The King are the best two 5/8ths I've seen, and I personally don't consider Lockyer to be quite there yet. The top 2 are immortals and I just can't rate Lockyer that highly yet. :)

miccle

Bench
It's a pretty funny situation with Lockyer - in my short lifetime I still think I've seen at least two 5/8's who were better than him in that position - in Lewis and Fittler.

Regardless, I still think Lockyer (while not as good at 5/8) is as a footballer, just as good as the other two. They were better 5/8's, but he is on par with them when it comes to being a rugby league player. He has elements in his game that the others didn't have and I think his switch from playing fullback for so long makes him a different breed of 5/8.

simon says

First Grade
For mine Kenny,Lewis and Fulton are the elite no6's.

I would have Lockyer in the next group with Daley and Fittler.

He is defintely in front of Walters,Florimo,Lyons and co.

If he could tackle really well he would be in the elite group but his defense does let him down little.

caylo

Bench
lockyer is one of t he best fullback i have ever seen, he was dynamic there. While critics say he is no 5-8, it's right he isn't, but he has the skill to do well there. Where ever locky plays he will play well, he is a great footballer... one of the best i have ever seen. At 5-8 i think he is able to use his skill alittle more, but i always loved watching him return the ball, making you look stupid if ur kick chase was slightly off. He was the best, better than minichello, or hodgson or shif are today.

The Colonel

Immortal
Brett Kenny and Wally Lewis are the two best five eights I have ever seen. Kenny was, as his autobiography suggests The Natural, and Lewis was just the ultimate competitor. In terms of natural ability Kenny and Lockyer are very similar but as five eight I'd take Kenny anyday.

I never got to see Graeme Langlands play but from the footage I have seen as a fullback Lockyer wasn't too far behind him.....

Lockyer just needs to captain Australia for the next two years, win another 2Origin Series and another premiership. He can do all these things as long as he retains his speed for another probably 4 years. If he does this he'll move behind Wally and Beetson as QLD's greatest player probably, although people forget how good Alfie was. I think he'll equal Johns then and move ahead of Fitler and other 5/8's because he mastered two positions.

lockyno1

Post Whore
As a fullback, probally equal with Langlands. As a 5/8, he is learning and improving. He is probally behind Kenny, Daley and Lewis as a 5/8. It shows how good he is when he can play out of position and STILL look like the best player in his side!

Red Bear

Referee
behind Fittler for a start. Daley kenny lewis as well. wouldnt be top 5.

I still think Brasher was better player at fullback

nqboy

First Grade
Best fullback in my time watching the game (1980-). Just behind King Wally, Bert, Daley and Freddie at 5/8, mainly because of his defensive deficiencies.

LRC

Locky and Fittler played in a rotating interchange against fitter ,frsher defences....they would have carved them up if they played in kenny and lewis eras against restricted interchanges and less fitter opponents, especially around the ruck area.

^Mundine was a damn fine player.

At his best he could win a game single handedly..a la vs Sharks semi in 99.

Lockyer's a good player, no doubt.
Not a Daley, Fittler or Lewis (And never will be). His defense just isn't on that level.

Brett Kenny sucked in his last 2-3 seasons IMO...so his legacy is tainted. (Allthough he was part of a pretty pathetic Parra team.)

lucablight

First Grade
Lockyer is a potential immortal. People are looking at too many other players with rose coloured glasses.

twopac

The best fullback ever, even better than the GREAT Langlands.
THAT game against the Poms in Tri Nations a few years back.
Best half of footy by an individual I have witnessed in my 35 years of watching league

The way that Darren chimes in the backline, the speed, the ability to break the line like no other fullback I have seen, the way he just seems to drift in the air when running the ball.

Some clown on here suggested Brasher was a better fullback than Lockyer :crazy:

Mr Saab

Referee
Sorry to burst your obvious massive bubble, but in the 2004 tri nations final Lockyer played 5/8.
He is not better than Langlands....best fullback of the past 20 yrs, maybe.
All time..no.

yobbo84

Coach
twopac said:
The best fullback ever, even better than the GREAT Langlands.
THAT game against the Poms in Tri Nations a few years back.
Best half of footy by an individual I have witnessed in my 35 years of watching league

The way that Darren chimes in the backline, the speed, the ability to break the line like no other fullback I have seen, the way he just seems to drift in the air when running the ball.

Some clown on here suggested Brasher was a better fullback than Lockyer :crazy:

According to those that saw him play (not just Souths supporters), the greatest fullback ever to have played the game is one Clive Churchill.

Latest posts