What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

dice

Juniors
KFC said:
In 04 1st and 2nd made the GF.

In 03 1st and 2nd made the GF.

This year is an anomaly.

On the contrary. This years comp is the closest in years and it highlights the anomaly of the finals draw. In such a close comp teams cannot afford to play sh*te like Manly (1 win out of last 8) and then get a week off and be expected to beat a team that has had two tough games to get them into form.

Last year Roosters and Panthers had the week off. Panthers were eliminated after the week off and Roosters we almost eliminated. The year before Roosters and Panthers were a class above anyone else.

jesse

Juniors
why should the cowboys get to lose a finals game 50-6 but the eels lose 1 game and theyre out? its a joke. cowboys dont deserve to be there after losing 50-6.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I beleive and I still beleive the AFL system has much less flaws in it.

1vs 4
2vs3
5vs8
6vs7

If you get belted in the lower half you are gone. The results this week just highlight how close this comp is!

lockyno1

Post Whore
I beleive and I still beleive the AFL system has much less flaws in it.

1vs 4
2vs3
5vs8
6vs7

If you get belted in the lower half you are gone. The results this week just highlight how close this comp is!

Jono078

Referee
BuffaloRules said:
Yeah.. I agree.

I think 1 and 2 made the GF in 02 as well.

If Parra and St George were good enough they would have made it, Mcintyre system or not.

Nah, 1 was Warriors, 2nd was Knights.

Knightmare

Coach
Last year Roosters SHOULD have been eliminated. All that saved them was some creative interpretation of the rules...

lazza

Juniors
and dun forget, this year is the "closest comp in history", so there wasnt much in it in the top few sides in the first place.

so i'd say this season is an anomoly as others have mentioned.

Kris_man

Bench
Any team that gets belted by 50 should not be in the grand final? I disagree, margins should not matter, and I'm glad they don't.

Carlito said:
yes, it disadvantages chokers
:lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
RiotAct said:
afl finals system is better.. but the best teams should win using either system

Exactly! OMG if you don't perform at the prelim final you don't deserve to win the comp. End of story! In the AFL the minor premiers lost in the prelims too! In saying that I believe the AFL has the best system.

Enoughsaid

Juniors
It only seems a probelm when your team can't win

parra the new norths sydney

always falling one game short

dice said:
Firstly, I want to say that I am neither a Parra or Saints supporters. I would actually love to see a Cowboys vs Tigers final.

But I really think the NRL finals system is total crap and disadvantages the top teams. Playing 7th or 8th followed by a week off is a very poor preparation to play a sudden death game against a team that has had two games against tougher opponents.

If the NRL want to "reward" the top teams by giving them the week off at least give them a tough game in the first week as is done in the AFL.

Yep agreed. :D

aussies1st

Staff member
It only a problem this year cause the top 2 sides lost. Last year there was no problem with the bye.

If you finish in the top 6 you get a life simple as that. Cowboys deserved their life and have made full use of it.

The Eels and Dragons just weren't good enough. 1 week off shouldn't make you play differently to how you have all year. The Eels played their worst game yesterday. That is more a sign of nerves getting the better of them rather than anything to do with the bye.

gaterooze

Bench
lockyno1 said:
OMG if you don't perform at the prelim final you don't deserve to win the comp. End of story! In the AFL the minor premiers lost in the prelims too!

Huh? So how is the AFL system better if the same "problem" exists in both?

The ESL have an interesting system, which would please you lot. The top two teams play each other and the winner is automatically in the GF. One game and they're in. The rest fight it out amongst themselves.

But in practice, it means the same teams are in the GF every year. I'd much rather have 7 different premiers in 7 years straight, thank you.

In having said all that, I think Warren Ryan's system is probably better.

lockyno1

Post Whore
gaterooze said:
Huh? So how is the AFL system better if the same "problem" exists in both?

The ESL have an interesting system, which would please you lot. The top two teams play each other and the winner is automatically in the GF. One game and they're in. The rest fight it out amongst themselves.

But in practice, it means the same teams are in the GF every year. I'd much rather have 7 different premiers in 7 years straight, thank you.

In having said all that, I think Warren Ryan's system is probably better.

Firstly the ESL system has 6 teams, so it won't work in the NRL. Warren Ryan's system I believe is ok, but it has a lot of flaws in it, McIntyre system is better. The AFL system generally sees the top teams fight out the decider and it reduces the chance of a blowout in the first week. You are rewarded by coming in the top 4 thus ensuring you have a double chance. That is the one thing that annoys me with the McIntyre system, is that you can come 3 or 4 and be eliminated in week 1. To me that is ridiculous!

Latest posts