What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

Tom Shines

First Grade
teams 3 and 4 shouldnt be having the same advantage as teams 1 and 2 shouldnt be getting the 2nd chance mandatory as they do in the afl system

the 3-4th team is midfield in a 8 team final why should they get advantage for losing in week 1 ,with a home ground and 2nd chance

Huh? So you think Team 4, after a closely contested season, can lose to their nearest challengers in Team 5 on Friday night, and because other results go against them, they end up being eliminated?

Benji Magic

Juniors
I think home ground advantage should be for week 1 only, after that it is at the discretion of the NRL as to where the matches are played.

IFR33K

Coach
Cant say i agree mate. Your a panthers supporter correct? Now lets say you lose week one and the Raiders win week one and you end up having to verse eachother in week 2. So you think its fair that your team who worked hard all year to finish second has to play in Canberra in week two against a team that only played good for a third of the season? Whats the point of having 26 rounds if you lose your advantage after one loss, ESPECIALLY in a comp as close as the NRL where any team can win against any other on any given day.

Personally i think that the teams who finish higher should always have the advantage over team who finished lower. A team finishing 8th should have to play all their games away in the finals as kind of a punishment for only scraping in.

Stick to writing some banners.

Do you not relise that panthers only won two games more then the raiders, yet u claim the raiders only played well for a third of the season.

And if 1 & 2 can't beat 7 & 8, then they should lose their advantage. It's simple, don't lose.

Some people have no idea

I think home ground advantage should be for week 1 only, after that it is at the discretion of the NRL as to where the matches are played.
I'd be fine with that in terms of fairness, but to maximize revenue and create an atmosphere you really need to go to one of the teams' home grounds.

Gaba

First Grade
Huh? So you think Team 4, after a closely contested season, can lose to their nearest challengers in Team 5 on Friday night, and because other results go against them, they end up being eliminated?
its the finals ,if they didnt win against an lower ranked team then they deserve to be a chance of being eliminated.

Last edited:

anjado

Juniors

What is the problem with that ? in 1988 in the final five, Canberra,Manly,Penrith and Balmain all finished on 30 points, Forcing Penrith to play Balmain due to for and against and allowing Canberra to finish 3rd which gave them an extra chance due to superior for and against.

Why should priorities be made to the team that finished 4th ? 4th place gets an advantage by having a home semi final. They don't need more of an advantage most people rate the top 5 as a great system yet the team who finishes 4th now has far more of an advantage then the team who finished 4th back then.

People say 4th position can be knocked out in the first round which is true, Yet the McIntyre system has been going for 11 seasons and it hasn't happened yet. 4th place can also get into the preliminary final if they win, Which is what happened to Penrith in 2004.

So at the moment it is just as likely you can be in the preliminary final as you are of being eliminated and those are good odds.

Flapper

First Grade
its the finals ,if they didnt win against an lower ranked team then they deserve to be a chance of being eliminated.

Why do people not get this? It's the finals, you're not supposed to lose in finals.

I much prefer the NRL system, in no universe should teams 5 or 6 get home ground advantage

The Tank

Bench
I prefer the NRL's over the AFL's (though both are sh*te). Top 5 or Top 6 is perfect but unworkable ($$$) these days.

This thread comes about EVERY BLOODY YEAR!

I much prefer the NRL system, in no universe should teams 5 or 6 get home ground advantage

Surely this can't be THAT hard to grasp. In the AFL, teams 5 and 6 play an elimination game against 7 and 8. Then the 2 winners of these games go on to play the two losers from 1-4 and 2-3. At those losers' home grounds.

In fact you're spot on when you say that: In no universe should teams 5 or 6 get home ground advantage.
Against higher ranked opponents. At any stage in the finals series. Agreed.

Canard

Immortal
The home allocation is nothing to do with the "system" thats an NRL thing.

The AFL system means Week 1 is basically meaningless, with Teams 5 to 8 playing "nothing" games, and the 1 to 4 games being a bit of a ho-hum situation also.

The home allocation is nothing to do with the "system" thats an NRL thing.

The AFL system means Week 1 is basically meaningless, with Teams 5 to 8 playing "nothing" games, and the 1 to 4 games being a bit of a ho-hum situation also.

Huhhh?? #1 Aren't we comparing the NRL's current playoff system to the AFL's current playoff system? Of course home allocation is pre-determined by the current NRL system.

Huhhh?? #2 So you reckon the AFL's week 1 elimination finals, where 2 teams out of 5-8 get eliminated, are meaningless? Interesting New Age thought. And 2 teams out of 1-4 get to earn the next weekend off, that's also meaningless? More New Age teachings. Ok, guru.

Why do people not get this? It's the finals, you're not supposed to lose in finals.

Another reason the AFL system is an absolutely joke of a finals system and anyone who thinks the NRL should adopt it, really hasn't thought about it.

How the hell do the 5th and 6th placed get a guaranteed home finals?

In the NRL system the 5th and 6th have to EARN a home finals game.

Canard

Immortal
Huhhh?? #1 Aren't we comparing the NRL's current playoff system to the AFL's current playoff system? Of course home allocation is pre-determined by the current NRL system.

Huhhh?? #2 So you reckon the AFL's week 1 elimination finals, where 2 teams out of 5-8 get eliminated, are meaningless? Interesting New Age thought. And 2 teams out of 1-4 get to earn the next weekend off, that's also meaningless? More New Age teachings. Ok, guru.

What I was trying to say was that the home allocation isn't part of the McIntyre system, thats something the NRL added recently.

Previously it was neutral venues.

5 and 8 just play meaningless games to get belted by the top 4 the next week. There is no chance for "upsets" in this system.

Why should the team that finished 4th get 2 bites at the cherry!! Thats crazy. The whole AFL system protects the teams 3 and 4 too much.

1 beating 8 and 7 beating 2 has been the highlights of our system for the last couple of years.

If 3 or 4 lose they deserve to be knocked out after week one

Doomednow

Bench
This needs a poll with more than a few options.

If you can't handle your team losing first week of the finals and getting to play again but having to play away from home then you're a bit of a whinger. You're supposed to dominate the finals to win it. Not sneak in with a couple of average performances. Actually, maybe the MacIntyre system is too lenient? I don't believe so, but some people on here seem to think that the top placed teams should almost get a no risk free run to the GF.

Last edited:
5 and 8 just play meaningless games to get belted by the top 4 the next week. There is no chance for "upsets" in this system.

So 5 and 6 playing 3 and 4 (Odds on favourite outcome after week 1) is a lop-sided contest, no chance of an upset? Possibly because 6 beating 3 is no real upset.

Why should the team that finished 4th get 2 bites at the cherry!! Thats crazy. The whole AFL system protects the teams 3 and 4 too much.

Hmmm In the NRL, even 5 and 6 get 2 bites at the cherry, if 7 and 8 lose, like they usually do.

1 beating 8 and 7 beating 2 has been the highlights of our system for the last couple of years.

That's true, the highlight of my fan career was the Warriors winning in Melbourne from 8th spot.

Funnily enough in Melbourne the "Home Ground" thing is meaningless anyway as all AFL clubs share the same two grounds, and in finals its basically all at the MCG.
I suppose there are teams in Adelaide, Perth and Sydney too. Soon even at the Gold Coast I think.

Canard

Immortal
Hmmm In the NRL, even 5 and 6 get 2 bites at the cherry, if 7 and 8 lose, like they usually do.

Its not guaranteed though is it like in the AFL.

A team that might finish on the same points as Team 5 but has a better for and against can lose by 50 in week one, but still have no worries about playing in week 2?