What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

mickdo

Coach
I disagree.

The finals is a completely seperate competition to the regular season. The problem which has been highlighted is that the Minor Premiers are not justly rewarded for their efforts. Does this reward have to be part of the finals? Not necissarily, the current system works well.

Make the Minor Premiership worth more, then winning both becomes a massive rare achievement.

I agree that the 100k is a pittance, and it should be increased. It still wouldn't be much consolation to the Minor Premiers for not winning the GF though.

Parra

Referee
Make the Minor Premiership worth more, then winning both becomes a massive rare achievement.

Whether it is an achievement or not has nothing at all to do with the $$$.

A club should not get a single cent for winning either.

You can't put a price on winning the comp.

Parra

Referee
Same argument works for 3 & 5.

Why should anyone other than the minor premiers get a leg-up in the finals?

Finals are for winners - slacking off when it counts should be punished.

Coming 4th is the same as 2nd, 5th, 8th - who cares. No way should teams in the also-ran positions get any rewards or easy rides.

caylo

Bench
Ummm I think you will find IF we go to 18 that it will become a 10 team finals series. Now way would they lose out on the extra revenue.

I think it should only go to a top 10 if it gets to 20 teams, even then I would prefer to have a top 8 with 20 teams making it more competitive. if they did go to a top 10 thou with teams they would have to make the competion a few weeks shorter

Goddo

Bench
I agree with Loudsrat and adamkungl. People argue that the salary cap will even the field, meaning the minor premiership isn't worth much in the finals. But the problem isn't the finals system, its a different comp, and if you finish first or second you have an advantage over the rest, but if you don't perform, you won't win. Simple.

The problem is that the minor premiership itself should be worth something on its own, rather than a measily $100k.

Truthy746

Juniors
Why not give some sort of salary cap benefit to the minor premiers? Or when the draw is decided for the next year, they get to choose what teams they definitely want to play instead of submitting a list.

That's all I can think of at the moment, and I know they're a bit weak but meh.

smi962

First Grade
Which system do you think is superior?

I prefer the AFL system and believe it is fairer as it provides greater protection for the top 4 sides and ensure teams 7-8 never get a home final.

Didn't the ARL have a similar system to this back in the day?

Jason Maher

Immortal
95-96 we had the system the AFL has now. The AFL originally had the McIntyre system, then they switched to the system the ARL used, and for whatever reason, when we went back to a top 8 in 99, we adopted the AFL's abandoned McIntyre system. I don't really like the top 8 at all, but the current AFL system sh*ts on the McIntyre system from a great height.

Doomednow

Bench
I'm not familiar with the AFL one but I actually don't mind the McIntyre system. People complain about home ground advantage and all that but if you're the first placed team and you can't beat the 8th placed team at home in the first week, you deserve to lose your home ground advantage. You already get a second chance anyway, so you can't say there's no point to finishing first or second.

But to be honest I wouldn't be that fussed if they did change it. As long as there is a functional finals system in place that isn't too ridiculous.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
People complain about home ground advantage and all that but if you're the first placed team and you can't beat the 8th placed team at home in the first week, you deserve to lose your home ground advantage.

Cant say i agree mate. Your a panthers supporter correct? Now lets say you lose week one and the Raiders win week one and you end up having to verse eachother in week 2. So you think its fair that your team who worked hard all year to finish second has to play in Canberra in week two against a team that only played good for a third of the season? Whats the point of having 26 rounds if you lose your advantage after one loss, ESPECIALLY in a comp as close as the NRL where any team can win against any other on any given day.

Personally i think that the teams who finish higher should always have the advantage over team who finished lower. A team finishing 8th should have to play all their games away in the finals as kind of a punishment for only scraping in.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Cant say i agree mate. Your a panthers supporter correct? Now lets say you lose week one and the Raiders win week one and you end up having to verse eachother in week 2. So you think its fair that your team who worked hard all year to finish second has to play in Canberra in week two against a team that only played good for a third of the season? Whats the point of having 26 rounds if you lose your advantage after one loss, ESPECIALLY in a comp as close as the NRL where any team can win against any other on any given day.

Personally i think that the teams who finish higher should always have the advantage over team who finished lower. A team finishing 8th should have to play all their games away in the finals as kind of a punishment for only scraping in.

Id be more upset about having to play the team that came 3rd in the 1st week of the finals compared to the team that came 7th...

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Id be more upset about having to play the team that came 3rd in the 1st week of the finals compared to the team that came 7th...

Im actually not a supporter of the AFL finals system. In fact i dislike it for the exact reason you mentioned. I just think the NRL system needs to be tweaked so that if the Panthers had to verse the Raiders in week 2 (as in my previous example where the Panthers lose week 1 and the raiders win week 1) it should be played in Sydney not in Canberra to give the team who was more consistent over 26 rounds the advantage they deserve for their consistency.

And imo a week one home game is not enough advantage. A team finishing in the top 4 should be assured home region games in all finals games up to the the GF if versing a team below them.

Didgi

This was the thread that had to happen.

I hear a remote lawn bowls competition in southern Russia has a really good finals system, let's use that!!

Doomednow

Bench

Yeah I'm fully aware of the situation my team is in now and I stand by my opinion. The point of playing so well all season for places 1 and 2 is that they get a second chance in the first week of the finals AND a home ground advantage for at least the first week. 3 and 4 have to settle for just home ground advantage and the rest don't get any favours. If we get beaten by whoever will be in 7th (Manly or Raiders I think) we get another go but I have no problem with playing our next match away. That's what we get for losing our first final. Just about everyone except the Dragons would have their season ended for doing the same thing.

I just think its fair enough, is all.

EDIT: Though I admit it would be ideal if there was someway to regain the home ground advantage if you get a win in the second week.

Latest posts