What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

Green Machine

First Grade
Since the start of the NRL, there seems to be a low percentage of the Minor Premier's becoming Major Premier's:

1998 Brisbane
1999 Cronulla
2000 Brisbane
2001 Parramatta
2002 Warriors
2003 Penrith
2004 Roosters

I wonder if it is a disadvantage to be Minor Premier

Dogs Of War

Coach
Blu` said:
I love this system, the only problem is team 1 (provided they win) gets a week off between every match.

Which is how it used to work in the top 5. Its good that players can recover well between matches.

bula_stormer

Juniors
It all works out the same, Only the Ryan finals system gives team 7 and 8 easier matchups!! I mean Manly and Cronulla would fancy themselves against the like of Melbourne and Nth Qld rather then the Dragons or Eels.

Blu`

Juniors
Green Machine said:
Since the start of the NRL, there seems to be a low percentage of the Minor Premier's becoming Major Premier's:

1998 Brisbane
1999 Cronulla
2000 Brisbane
2001 Parramatta
2002 Warriors
2003 Penrith
2004 Roosters

I wonder if it is a disadvantage to be Minor Premier

Stands at about right from here... form aside, each team has a 1/8 chance and taking home the title.

Green Machine

First Grade
Blu` said:
Stands at about right from here... form aside, each team has a 1/8 chance and taking home the title.
Under the current McIntyre System, each side dose not have an equal chance. The two highest winners in week 1, get week off in week two. On past experiences, team 8 gets flogged by team 1 in week one. Same has happened to team 7. In the days of the old Final 5 System, the minor premiers in most cases won the comp. Under the old final 5, the minor premier had week 1 off and if they won in week 2, they had week 3 off, before the Grand Final

lockyno1

Post Whore
His system is the one the AFL uses. I actually think that POTENTIALLY has better matchups in the first round. However, it can disadvantage the teams that come top 4. They could easily lose to other teams in the 4, with the even spread of results. Do the teams that come 7-8 deserve more of a chance- I don't think so!

Dogs Of War

Coach
lockyno1 said:
His system is the one the AFL uses. I actually think that POTENTIALLY has better matchups in the first round. However, it can disadvantage the teams that come top 4. They could easily lose to other teams in the 4, with the even spread of results. Do the teams that come 7-8 deserve more of a chance- I don't think so!

If anything it makes it harder to win the comp from 5th or below as these teams would have to win 5 straight elimanation games rather than 4 as is now. And that blokes system is not the same as the AFL one. It gives a much greater advantage to the top teams, and guarentees that one of the top 4 will be in the Grand Final, something the current system, nor the AFL provides.

It also allows all top 4 teams to meet in the grand final, but doesn't allow as many possiblities as the current system does (hence why we moved to this system in the first place). But what it does do is give every game some meaning, which the current system to some point doesn't (but it is only known in a past tense).

The old top 5 was the best system, and expanding on that is what the league should look at when the Gold Coast comes into the comp and the season is shortened and they can accomdate the extra week of finals football.

jamesgould

Juniors
I do like the fact that under the Ryan system the first placed side gets a decent match-up before moving through to week 3.

Parramatta won't have another tough match between now and week 3 of the finals since they face Manly in the first round ...

I also like the fact that 6th is the highest spot that can get knocked out in the first round.

But bring back the top 5 and solve all our worries! Cronulla and Manly in the finals ... good god.

milchcow

Juniors
The McIntyre system will probably be dumped if and when team 8 eveer beats team 1.

Imagine if this weeks winners were Tigers, Brisbane, Dragons and Manly.
The Tigers reward for winning their first round match with a knock out match against minor premiers Parramatta, and the Cowboys punishment for losing would be a game against Manly.
If something like this ever happens, I would expect it to be the last year of the Mcintyre system.

The better options would be:
The proposed 5 week top 8
If that is too long, then go to the superleague top 6 (which is quite similar to the old top 5)
Or if we must have a 4 week top 8 system I'd much prefer we revert to the current AFL system.

The Colonel

Immortal
jamesgould said:
Parramatta won't have another tough match between now and week 3 of the finals since they face Manly in the first round ...

Any team with Ben Kennedy leading from the front will be a tough game....

Mr Saab

Referee
Green Machine said:
Under the current McIntyre System, each side dose not have an equal chance. The two highest winners in week 1, get week off in week two. On past experiences, team 8 gets flogged by team 1 in week one. Same has happened to team 7. In the days of the old Final 5 System, the minor premiers in most cases won the comp. Under the old final 5, the minor premier had week 1 off and if they won in week 2, they had week 3 off, before the Grand Final

since the crapentyre system was implemented in 1999, team 7 has a much better record than team 2.
1999...2 won
2000...7 won
2001...7 won
2002...7 won
2003...2 won
2004...7 won

Misty Bee

First Grade
The problem with Jono's system is that team 1, if it wins, will be in the GF with only 1 game in 3 weeks behind it - math fitness bcaome an issue (no -I don't mean aerobic fitness, I mean reflexes, combinations, instinct etc).

The problem with Rayns system is that the minor premiership incentive is gone. Thus, teams with more premiership points on the board would rest key players - thus in the final rounds the big drawcards are rested.

The problem with the final 5 is that 3/4 of the comp become nothing games. I love the current system - it's a huge reason why crowds have been increasing enourmously since it's inception.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
I prefer the AFL system

Actually, I probably agree with you.. There system may be a little better.. That said, I also believe the MacIntyre system is close to as good as you can get..

From reading this thread it's quite clear that no system will ever be as fair and exciting as the old Top-5 format. Add home finals to the 5 and it'd be perfect, for eg...

1. Parramatta
2. Dragons
3. Broncos
4. Wests Tigers
5. Cowboys

(Parra rewarded with first week off and only needing one win to advance to the GF and can afford to lose one game).

Week One:
Dragons vs Broncos at Wollongong
Wests Tigers vs Cowboys at Telstra (loser eliminated)

Week Two:
Broncos vs Tigers at Suncorp (loser eliminated)
Parramatta vs Dragons at Parra (winner to GF)

Week Three:
Dragons vs Tigers at SFS (loser eliminated, winner to GF)

GRAND FINAL:
Parramatta vs Dragons at Telstra

---

This would be a very exciting finals series and every single game would be a blockbuster. The minor-premiers are well rewarded and teams 2 and 3 get a second chance as well.

Green Machine

First Grade
Charlie Saab said:
since the crapentyre system was implemented in 1999, team 7 has a much better record than team 2.
1999...2 won
2000...7 won
2001...7 won
2002...7 won
2003...2 won
2004...7 won
Interesting point Charlie,
1999 Parramatta won over Knight in week one. Eels beaten by Storm in week 3.
2000 Easts lost to Eels in week 1. Eels lost to Broncos in week 3. Easts lost to the Broncos in the Grand Final
2001 Canterbury lost to the Dragons in week one. Both got beat the next week.
2002 Newcastle lost to the Dragons in week one. Both got beat the next week.
2003 Easts won over Knights and lost in the Grand Final.
2004 Canterbury lost in week one and came back to win the Grand Final. Cowboys won in week one and lost in week three.

Team 7 is yet to make a Grand Final
Team 2 has made three Grand Finals and won one Grand Final

Latest posts