What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Battle for the Western Corridor NRL vs AFL

westcorridor

Juniors
For those of you who want to keep in touch with the Western Corridors Bid for now, you can join our Facebook and Twitter pages

http://www.facebook.com/WesternCorridorNRLBid

http://twitter.com/WestCorridorBid

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/08/...y-league-steve-johnson/#.Tkcm3S4pfaQ.facebook

THE AFL has declared war on rugby league in the western corridor, and Ipswich NRL bid chairman Steve Johnson has urged the code to make an emphatic move to win a high-stakes battle for hearts and minds.

Mr Johnson has held talks with Springfield Land Corporation about basing the bid team’s academy and training field there if the Western Corridor wins an NRL franchise.

But during those discussions he was alerted to the fact that the AFL also had designs on the same piece of land.

A well-placed source has told the QT that the AFL is cashed up and ready to move into the western corridor.

“Springfield Land Corporation wants the Lions there and is keen for them to choose that area as their relocation site,” the source said.

Lions spokesman Dave Donaghy has confirmed the Lions are preparing to leave the ’Gabba and are on the lookout for a permanent training and administration base.

“We are talking to a number of different parties regarding a number of different locations for a new high-performance training and administration centre,” Mr Donaghy said.

“A number of discussions have taken place already.

"We are looking for a centre that houses the club all year round, and that has a community element as well.”

Mr Donaghy said the Springfield and western corridor area was an ideal location for a major sporting brand to base itself.

“That (western corridor) region is a fast-growing, developing area.

"No doubt there is capacity there for all sports,” he said.

“It is an area that has been identified by everyone for its enormous growth.

“We are all aware how much focus the AFL puts on expanding the game, and we’ve seen it this week with Queensland viewers and crowd attendances across both clubs (the Lions and Suns) up 20%.”

Meanwhile, Mr Johnson said that Springfield Land Corporation “told me they had spoken to the AFL and they wanted to do something similar to what we are doing”.

“I was told they were looking at building a small stadium – which, if it is the Brisbane Lions, makes perfect sense.

"If they do go there and we don’t get our NRL licence for the Western Corridor, how does rugby league fight the AFL in the corridor?

“The only way to win the hearts and minds is for kids to have regular access to the players that they worship.

“If the AFL gets out there and the NRL don’t look after us with a new franchise, then AFL will take control of the corridor and we will lose a number of our 9500 juniors.”

Billythekid

First Grade
As was mentioned in the fight club they have increased the number of games they play in the region by 100% and crowds and ratings have only went up by 20%. That's hardly something to crow about.

The lions have taken a massive hit to their crowd numbers since the new GC team came in. Lets see how things look next year when the new car smell has worn off the new GC team and people decide they can't be bothered going to watch this crappy team play each week.

Looking at their abysmal ratings for the all QLD team clash doesn't paint a pretty picture either (less than 100K for a local derby).

Seriously, if people want the NRL to take action on something than show them what benefit it can provide. I'm sick of seeing the AFL used as excuse like this to try and get what you want from the NRL.

smithie

Juniors
This article is a complete joke. Trying to blackmail the NRL by saying "if you don't give us a national team the AFL will takeover." Should we put a NRL team in Blacktown because the Giants are there. The AFL recently played a game in Cairns, should we put a NRL team there too. What about Coffs Harbour. It had a Swans trial game at the start of the year and the AFL have set up their North Coast Academy there, I guess Coffs better have a NRL team too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A desperate and ill fated move by the WC bid, concentrate on how good you will be for the NRL, not how it is needed to combat some non existant AFL take over. I await the Bears next syaingthey fear an AFL take over of the CC region!

Raiderdave

First Grade
number of people who will convert to AFL in the western corridor of SE Qld if the Jets don't get admitted to the NRL

number of people who will cease to watch the NRL in the western corridor of SE Qld if the Jets don't get admitted to the NRL so they end up watching nothing

1 in 100

threat to the NRL by the AFL in the western corridor of SE Qld

non existent

;-)

otori

Juniors
It seems to be the clarion call of dying bids to scream about the AFL. We've seen CQ do it and now WC and I'm pretty sure Florimo said something along the AFL capturing CC too. It just makes RL look amateur and paranoid. We should be investigating getting the jump on them in sports centers in NSW and QLD but not by whinging to the media.

westcorridor

Juniors
It seems to be the clarion call of dying bids to scream about the AFL. We've seen CQ do it and now WC and I'm pretty sure Florimo said something along the AFL capturing CC too. It just makes RL look amateur and paranoid. We should be investigating getting the jump on them in sports centers in NSW and QLD but not by whinging to the media.

The Western Corridor is gaining pace, not dying and you will see what I mean over the coming weeks

Eels Dude

Coach
What a stupid line of reasoning. Waah we need an NRL team or AFL will take over the area. I feel like backing another bid instead just out of spite.

otori

Juniors
This. I wasn't saying your bid is dead but it's lost a lot in my eyes now to Perth and Brisbane II. I think the Ipswich area is deserving of a team but they're going to be a community based team and right now, very few people in Ippy know about it. I'm talking everyday RL fans. A lot of my mates in that region have now heard of the Bombers but have never heard of the Ipswich/WC bid.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not another thread about AFL taking over. Viccykicky has been haunting Melbourne and has been hawked to nsw/qld since Adam was a boy. The only people who watch it in these two states are ex Victorians. This talk of taking over is, to quote an LU legend, horse shit people, horse shit.

Nauru has got as much chance as taking over China as viccykicky has anywhere.
Gogomobile more chance of taking over ford. A blind quadruple amputee more chance of overtaking Usain Bolt in the 100 metres.

Viccykicky is a myth and it's threat to league a cop out for league administrators and an easy write for journalists.
Now let's talk about rugby league.

Goddo

Bench
:lol:

Just about every bid (Central Coast, Brisbane II, Ipswich, Central Queensland) has now used the "fear of AFL" argument.

I guess it gets headlines.

docbrown

Coach

Just about every bid (Central Coast, Brisbane II, Ipswich, Central Queensland) has now used the "fear of AFL" argument.

Indeed and I think it's a mistake because Rugby League fans are aware of it and growing rather tired with it.

Also most people are getting tired of the bids disparaging one another.

They should stop the negative campaigning and just focus on the strength of their bids. That includes sniping when they talk about their strengths too. ;-)

El Diablo

Post Whore

indeed

all we need now is a bid for another team in Western Sydney

redvscotty

First Grade
'I was told they were looking at building a small stadium – which, if it is the Brisbane Lions, makes perfect sense.'

No one else saw this? haha.

franklin2323

Immortal
Stupid article written by a sad little man. If we want 100+ scorelines like AFL has because of their stupid rushed expansion go ahead.

I would rather ALL bid teams get there crap together. Then they gain entry on the back of a great business plan not by inflicting fear on the IC.

Like Sydney, Brisbane and the normal areas of Australia. WC has had AFL shoved down it's throat and they hate that abortion of a sport (Or ratings would tell you). It's nothing more then a scare campaign

Last edited: