What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The best juniors since 2000

roopy

Referee
Flange said:
Johnie Topou is another Knights junior that plays all day and well above his size. JT played NSW U/19s this year along with other knight juniors i.e. Mullo, Walshy, Lingy, Pato, Uate & Cooper. JT (along with Mullo, Walshy, Lingy, Hardman & Schillo) have played together through West Rosellas, Newcastle Rep teams and Knights junior development squads. Keep an eye on him!
I was really impressed with Brodie Hardman the other night. He has really bulked up in the last 6 months and he is still a real hard worker and a tough nut. I can see him being leader of the pack next season.

Pure_Knight

Juniors
Captain_Fred said:
Speaking of juniors, I read that Willie Tupou will be back at the club next year, so we'll have 3 of the 4 Tupou boys playing for us...all that's left now is to lure Anthony back, and we'll have the whole family :D

where did you here that we signed willie mate??? good news if we did

Frederick

Staff member
Newcastle boast Tupou trio

COUNTRY Origin forward Anthony Tupou is still at the Roosters, but his three younger brothers, Willie, Jon and Ben, will wear Knights colours next year.

Willie, 20, is coming home after spending the past four years in the Roosters and Dragons lower grades. He and fellow back-rower Jon, a member of Newcastle's crack Jersey Flegg (under 20s) side, have signed two-year deals with the Knights. Their brother Ben, 15, played in the Knights Harold Matthews (under 16s) this year and will play SG Ball (under 18s) next year.
From page 93 of Saturdays Newcastle Herald

Jono078

Referee
Woohoo! Thats awsome.

With the way the Roosters are going I can definitely see Anthony coming back to be with his brothers!

Actually when is Anthony off contract?

Bicey_18

Bench
I reckon Anthony will come home for sure some time in his career.... and what a player he is. I would love him up front.. he is so damn dangerous, his size, speed and strength.. can also get great offloads away too...

K-Man

Bench
Anthony Tupou is exactly the type of player we have been missing. A forward who makes a massive impact on a game, and could set up a try all on his own. I would love him to come back soon. I think he will be one of the best 10 forwards in the game in 2 years.

Ben

Bench
We certainly have been missing that exact type of impact forward that Anthony offers. But then again, we have plenty of those big types of forwards coming through the system and we should be able to build a sensational forward pack in a couple of years time.

strewth_mate

Bench
Might dust off this thread for a second: Anyone remember anything of Clarrie Moran? I used to absolutely love watching him play in PL, he'd tear the opposition defence to shreds and you'd find him chasing down any line breaks quite often from what I recall. Where'd he bugger off to? Thought he might have turned into something pretty good.

roopy

Referee
He was playing for one of the local clubs a few years ago.

He was one of about half a dozen standout aboriginal guys we had in 2001-2002, the only one of whom to go on with it seems to be Tighe. I think Daryl Gordon won our Carlsen award in 2001 and was pretty much out of the club by halfway through 2002 - and another guy went on to play for Penrith PL and the national aboriginal side (he had an odd name, but i can't remember it).
I thought most of them had the makings of a new Tahu, but they all just faded away.

aqua_duck

Coach
roopy said:
He was playing for one of the local clubs a few years ago.

He was one of about half a dozen standout aboriginal guys we had in 2001-2002, the only one of whom to go on with it seems to be Tighe. I think Daryl Gordon won our Carlsen award in 2001 and was pretty much out of the club by halfway through 2002 - and another guy went on to play for Penrith PL and the national aboriginal side (he had an odd name, but i can't remember it).
I thought most of them had the makings of a new Tahu, but they all just faded away.
I think the bloke you're thinking of is Shaun Skuthorpe, he played min the same Hunter SH side as Gordon and Tighe and I seriously thought he'd be a star, he was tall, quick, elusive, and had good ball skills, he reminded me alot of David Peachey.
I think Willie Tupou might turn out to be a handy signing just quietly

roopy

Referee
aqua_duck said:
I think the bloke you're thinking of is Shaun Skuthorpe, he played min the same Hunter SH side as Gordon and Tighe and I seriously thought he'd be a star, he was tall, quick, elusive, and had good ball skills, he reminded me alot of David Peachey.
I think Willie Tupou might turn out to be a handy signing just quietly
Yeah - that's him - he was really good. i think he asked for a go at the Knights after being let go by Penrith last year and we didn't take him up on it. He was probably a better prospect than Polglase and much younger.

the ref

Juniors
How anyone could rate Luke walsh ahead of Chris Tyrie has got rocks in their head. And to say he was a better defender 'please'.
Luke Walsh is a turnstile and thats when he attempts tackles. He only gets involved in games when he feels like it. Chris Tyrie was like a bulldog.
And to say that Quinny and Jermaine are even close to being on a par is laughable. And Lowrie would have to be a walk up start for the run on side as he was an exceptional junior just like Greg Bird

TooheysNew

Coach
It's opinion. I happen to disagree with yours. Why should someone be a walk up just because they were a good junior?

antonius

Coach
Chris Tyrie played in the local comp this year for Souths. Was talking to his dad the other day. He was a victim of the Hagan/Kidley love affair. Was promised a shot at first grade when Johns was on rep duties, but was then shafted after knocking back an offer from the Roosters on that assurance. That was when the Kidley 5/8th experiment began.

antonius

Coach
the ref said:
How anyone could rate Luke walsh ahead of Chris Tyrie has got rocks in their head. And to say he was a better defender 'please'.
Luke Walsh is a turnstile and thats when he attempts tackles. He only gets involved in games when he feels like it. Chris Tyrie was like a bulldog.
And to say that Quinny and Jermaine are even close to being on a par is laughable. And Lowrie would have to be a walk up start for the run on side as he was an exceptional junior just like Greg Bird
I must have rocks in my head, I'll try find them.