What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The best team for next year:

bartman

Immortal
BrettS said:
With my reggies team looking something like

7. ?????
9. Irvine

I think Irvine is goooooorne for next year, to Toowoomba/Brisbane?
I think Prince will get first shot at reggies fullback over McKinnon - look for Wade to be in the centres. As for reggies half, I think it will be Webster.

redeel

Juniors
prince/graham
grothe/burt
lyon/
pai/vaeliki
petersen/vella[dont laugh]
thorman/ dykes[ouch that hurt]
witt/ smith/
hindmarsh
hopkins/dillon
cannings/tsoulos
payless
muspratt/muckert
webster[hooker]

vella would be suited out on the wing,only has soft wingers in opposition and he can run,

theicemandanno

Juniors
Here goes...

1. Graham (I think come Rd 26 Burt will be here as Kativerata will force his way into first grade)
2. Burt
3. Lyon
4. Vaeliki
5. Grothe Jnr
6. Dykes
7. Thorman
8. Cayless (c)
9. Morris
10. Cannings
11. Hindmarsh
12. Muckert
13. Hopkins

14. Witt
15. Vella
16. Wagon
17. Tsoulos
(Armit will push once fully fit)

MystikEel

Juniors
I dont think that Ash Graham will be playin at the beginning of the year. What he did to his leg was terrible as we all know... I can't see him fully recovered by the start of next season... but Burty's around! *yay* In terms of 'best' team, though, Graham would prob. be f/back with Burt at No.2 methinks...

*hides*

Hurriflatch

Referee
Iceman: Any reason Petersen isn't there 14 tries last year (top for club tied with Jamie).

also why do u have Witt on the bench?

theicemandanno

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
Iceman: Any reason Petersen isn't there 14 tries last year (top for club tied with Jamie).

We were asked for our opinions on our 'best' team and I feel that Burt and Grothe Jnr are better wingers than Petersen.

Similarly, I feel that come finals time Chris Thorman will prove that he is worthy of the 7 jersey. Witt is a very good player; but imho Thorman will prove to be the better player.

Regardless, here is how i feel our side will line up round 1:

1. Burt
2. Grothe Jnr
3. Lyon
4. Vaeliki
5. Petersen
6. Dykes
7. Witt
8. Cayless (c)
9. Morris
10. Vella
11. Hindmarsh
12. Hopkins
13. Wagon

Reserves:
14. Pearson
15. Widders
16. Cannings
17. Muspratt

Phillips

Referee
Hurriflatch said:

i'd rather have grothe and mckinnon or even prince or kativerata on the wing then peterson, all he did was score tries from close range from passes or kicks we have better players, but im not saying peterson is a bad player

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Phillips said:
Hurriflatch said:

i'd rather have grothe and mckinnon or even prince or kativerata on the wing then peterson, all he did was score tries from close range from passes or kicks we have better players, but im not saying peterson is a bad player

I have to agree with you Phillips!, Pettersons 14 try's where hardly bouts of individual brillance rather just simple finishing off which any winger could have done & more.

With the addition of Kafusi it wouldn't surprise me if he is a regular in first grade!.

He has great potential as a ball player & line breaker & with a full off season under his belt & Parra's coaching which is roughly 1.5 million light years ahead of Manly's he could well be Parra's buy of the year.

half

Coach
peterson is really not that good. i won't be surprised to see him at manly after next season

Ron Jeremy

Coach
half-man said:
peterson is really not that good. i won't be surprised to see him at manly after next season

:lol: :lol:

His positional play & ability under the high ball & defence is terrible, honestly if Burt, Graham & Grothe are fully fit throughout next year in reality he really shouldn't be anywhere near first grade.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Geez, I'd have fluffy over Guru Jnr ina flash. Guru Jnr, who everyone is expecting to be just like Dad, has ghardly played for 2 years. He is a name only, with POTENTIAL, and has yet to really even hold down a first grade spot.Peterson at least has beeen ther and done that. besides, all a winger can do is score tries. If his 5/8 and centres (both who has crap seasons last year) can improve to 2001 levels, oni the back of a monster forward pack, that tally will be closer to 20. Peterson is doing his job. The only winger better credentialled in the club is Luke Burt.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Geez, I'd have fluffy over Guru Jnr ina flash. Guru Jnr, who everyone is expecting to be just like Dad, has ghardly played for 2 years. He is a name only, with POTENTIAL, and has yet to really even hold down a first grade spot.Peterson at least has beeen ther and done that. besides, all a winger can do is score tries. If his 5/8 and centres (both who has crap seasons last year) can improve to 2001 levels, oni the back of a monster forward pack, that tally will be closer to 20. Peterson is doing his job. The only winger better credentialled in the club is Luke Burt.

Have to disagree Misty, Grothe has enourmous talent & if it wasn't for an injury in the lead up to the 2001 SOO we would of all seen his talent & more.

The try he scored against Penrith in 2000 could of only been scored by a player of great talent...even last year in the few games he had for the Roosters he also showed traits of a good player....even though he had a very much interupted 2003 preseason due to injury.

Matt Peterson on the other hand is a sticky situation...sure he can score many try's which as you pointed out is a wingers duty however he also let's in many try's as his lack of pace for a winger has been showed up many times together with his Paul Cariage like traits of making the simplistic look extremely complex.

I watched the Parra vs St George game today on video when we won 36-10, in this game even though we where extremely impressive Matt was targeted all night by Hornby & Firman, he was heart in the mouth stuff this night even though the kicks where hardly great yet there was always a doubt as to when Petterson may make a mistake.

Peterson will always be the logical player to target due to his lack of pace & positional play....unfortunately the try's he has scored this year have have overshadowed his tendency to let many try's in.

Dean

Juniors
1) Burt
2) Peterson
3) Lyon
4) Vaialiki
5) Grothe
6) Dykes
7) Witt
8) Cayless
9) Morris
10) Vella
11) Hindmarsh
12) Hopkins
13) Wagon
14) Cannings
15) Pearson
16) Widders
17) Muspratt

Don't know why some people arn't happy with Peterson. There was a time last year when we couldent get out of our own half because of dodgy kick returns. Then Peterson came along, put his head down and ran 100 miles an hour into the defense opposed to running sideways or submitting in the tackle. Oh, and 14 trys as well.

Suitman

Post Whore
I find it a bit bewildering as well that Petersen is copping such a bagging.
Hell, the guy scores 14 tries, and it still isn't enough.
As Misty pointed out, isn't it a wingers job to be a good finisher?
In a season loaded with inept team performances and player efforts well beneath their abilities, he was one of very few beacons that stood out.
Hopkins, Lyon and Hindmarsh really being the only others that always gave their all - heart and sundry.

Grothe will NOT get a walk up start next season. Petersen should continue on the wing, and if our forwards pull their fingers out next season and give the backs some room to move, Petersen will continue to score tries, and Grothe will find it difficult to break in, barring injury.

Its Burt and Petersen for me. The others have to earn it.

Suity

1.Ashley Graham
2.Luke Burt
3.Jamie Lyon
4.David Vaeliki
5.Eric Grothe
6.Chris Thorman
7.Michael Witt
8.Nathan Cayless
9.John Morris
10. Aarron Cannings
11. Lee Hopkins
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13.Daniel Wagon
Subs
14. Lee Hopkins
15. Dean Widders
16. Adam Dykes
17. Corey Pearson

I think that Peterson will start the year on the wing. But if Grothe stops living on his fathers name and gets out there and commits himself more I think he will return to the form he had when he was picked for SOO. I also think that Widders could be handy off the bench as an impact player for when the opposition forwards start tiring he can use his pace and that great step of his to open some gaps in the opposition defence.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mountain_eels_boy said:
1.Ashley Graham
2.Luke Burt
3.Jamie Lyon
4.David Vaeliki
5.Eric Grothe
6.Chris Thorman
7.Michael Witt
8.Nathan Cayless
9.John Morris
10. Aarron Cannings
11. Lee Hopkins
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13.Daniel Wagon
Subs
14. Lee Hopkins
15. Dean Widders
16. Adam Dykes
17. Corey Pearson

I think that Peterson will start the year on the wing. But if Grothe stops living on his fathers name and gets out there and commits himself more I think he will return to the form he had when he was picked for SOO. I also think that Widders could be handy off the bench as an impact player for when the opposition forwards start tiring he can use his pace and that great step of his to open some gaps in the opposition defence.

Dean Widders will provide nothing more then a hinderance to our title aspirations!!

Im sure the cream will rise to the top if so Dean will be struggling to get a starting berth in our First Division side.

When we needed him the most last year with the amount of injury's we had you'd think he'd rise to the ocassion and play out of his skin??...he didn't...but Lee Hopkins did and in reality Lee has to be playing somewhere in first Grade next year, Dean was so inconsistent & unefective last year that i've lost his respect as a player & now spewing that we kept him & released Solomona everyone's favourite scapegoat.

BTW

To Petterson fans
Petterson did score try's no one is doubting that but as i said previously go and watch some games from this year & look at the try's he let in, defensive problems, high ball problems, positional play problems & lack of speed!!.....shit anyone think he's Eric Grothe the way he is being portrayed he's average at most and don't take my word for it...just look at each game he featured in this year & the way the oppositions kickers targeted him all day!!....they must see him as the weakest link!!

He should be dumped to First Division once Grothe & Graham are fully fit no questions asked!!

fish eel

Immortal
What has Grothe done since 2000? Nothing. Was injury free alot last year and was kept in reggies by Todd Byrne!!

Grothe has to earn his spot ahead of Peterson in my view. The wild care though, is Ashley Graham.....will he be fit for the start of the year? That may see grothe/peterson on opposite wings, dueling for a spot when graham comes back.

My side, to beat the doggies is:

1. Burt
2. Grothe
3. Lyon
4. Vaeliki
5. Peterson
6. Dykes
7. Witt
13. Wagon
12. Hopkins
11. Hindmarsh
10. Cayless