What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Broncos

misty

Juniors
Whats going on with that team?
They are playing themselves out of the comp the way they are going, I remember a certain lady sent me an email once saying NAH,NAH,NAH MY GOOD TEAM ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LADDER and my reply was the higher you are the harder the fall......

So who's laughin now

antonius

Coach
There's a piece in todays paper, Wayne baby Bennett is blaming wait for it........................ The state of Origin series. Says his players peaked to early. Sad isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mia said:
They are playing themselves out of the comp the way they are going, I remember a certain lady sent me an email once saying NAH,NAH,NAH MY GOOD TEAM ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LADDER and my reply was the higher you are the harder the fall......

So who's laughin now

It is good to see them falling flat on their arses, isn't it?

knightsgal85

Juniors
mia said:

Apparently, Wayne Bennett is claiming "We're tired". He indicates in the article below that the main reason that the Broncos are in such a form slump (6 consecutive losses) is due to the 'impact of this year's Origin series'. The Broncos did have 2 byes during the Origin series if I can recall correctly. However, I can understand his concern to some extent, only in relation to the situation in which 7 Broncos players had to play 4 matches in a space of 10 days after & including Game 3 of Origin.

It would seem Wayne Bennett is looking for excuses rather than answers to the Broncos problems. The Broncos players shouldn't be criticised, as they did not bring up fatigue as the reason for their team's form slump, it was their coach.

Source: http://www.broncos.com.au/default.asp?pg=ClubNews&spg=display&articleid=21566

We're tired: Bennett
Monday 1 September 2003

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett believes the impact of this year’s State of Origin series on the club is the main reason behind his side’s late season form slump.

Speaking on ABC Radio, Bennett said the large-scale involvement of Broncos’ players and staff in this year’s series had drained the entire organisation.

"Up to round 12 this year, we were in good form,” Bennett said.

“At that stage of the season we were up near the top of the table in the NRL with nine wins and three losses. Our Reserve grade side was leading the Queensland Cup and our Colts were on top of the table in the Toowoomba competition.

“Now we are down in eighth, the Clydesdales finished sixth and missed the finals and our Colts slipped down to third or fourth.

"Our whole program is just so disrupted by State of Origin and my involvement as coach hasn't helped. Before the State of Origin but we came back from Origin and it's all fallen apart.

“If we had three or four players involved [in Origin] we could handle it but we've got 11 and 12 involved.

“I know it is the pinnacle of our game and players want to play it and be involved in it and I would never think of denying them that opportunity.

“I just think there needs to be some concessions for our competition’s elite players. They need a rest.”

In an indication that he would not directly participate in Queensland's campaign next year, Bennett said playing Origin matches was like "playing a grand final every couple of weeks" and this year's series had drained him and the players.

"I know how bad I felt," he said.

"I only started to feel normal again a week ago."

Bennett also questioned the NRL’s scheduling after the third Origin fixture, which saw seven Broncos have to front up for four matches – an Origin, a Test and two club games – in the space of 10 days.

“Look at a bloke like Shane Webcke, he hasn’t had a week off all season and that includes three mid-week Origins and a Test,” Bennett said.

“And on top of that we had the scheduling of four games in 10 days after the Origin series and I don’t think some of our blokes have totally recovered from that.”

Bennett has called on the Rugby League Players’ Association to do more to help the game’s elite players.
He said the RLPA needed to speak to some of the players most affected by the extensive NRL club and representative season because club’s were just not interested in changing the status quo.

“Clubs like us, Newcastle and the Roosters have all approached the league for some help in this regard, but we get no support from the other clubs,” Bennett said.

“They want to see our elite players backing-up and tired at the end of the season, but it is not good for the game.

“The Roosters have made some excellent proposals this season that have just been rejected by all those clubs who aren’t as heavily affected by representative football.

“It is time the players started standing up for themselves.

“Gorden Tallis was speaking to a leading AFL player telling him how they had to play a Test on Friday night and back-up for the club on Saturday and the AFL player just laughed and said that sort of thing would never be allowed to happen in the AFL.”

After their loss to Parramatta on Saturday Bennett dismissed suggestions that next Friday night's final game against St George Illawarra was “grand final” for the Broncos, with the Eels now just one win and percentage short of a Brisbane.

Next weekend Parramatta travel to Penrith, needing to beat the competition frontrunners to have any hope of being involved in the finals, while Brisbane can still make it even if they lose to the Dragons due to a superior for and against record.

"It's not our grand final," said Bennett.

"Our for and against is not that of a club sitting badly.

“We haven’t been beaten by more than 10 points in the last six weeks, so we aren’t a side who is going out and getting blown off the park. We just can’t get enough points ourselves and I am just not sure how we are going to fix that at the moment.”

Asked if Brisbane could finish eighth and win five games straight to win a sixth premiership, Bennett replied: "We've managed to lose six straight and we didn't plan for that."

misty

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
mia said:

So who's laughin now

It is good to see them falling flat on their arses, isn't it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to agree with you on that wedge

misty

Juniors
knightsgal85 said:
mia said:

Apparently, Wayne Bennett is claiming "We're tired". He indicates in the article below that the main reason that the Broncos are in such a form slump (6 consecutive losses) is due to the 'impact of this year's Origin series'. The Broncos did have 2 byes during the Origin series if I can recall correctly. However, I can understand his concern to some extent, only in relation to the situation in which 7 Broncos players had to play 4 matches in a space of 10 days after & including Game 3 of Origin.

It would seem Wayne Bennett is looking for excuses rather than answers to the Broncos problems. The Broncos players shouldn't be criticised, as they did not bring up fatigue as the reason for their team's form slump, it was their coach.

Source: http://www.broncos.com.au/default.asp?pg=ClubNews&spg=display&articleid=21566

We're tired: Bennett
Monday 1 September 2003

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett believes the impact of this year’s State of Origin series on the club is the main reason behind his side’s late season form slump.

Speaking on ABC Radio, Bennett said the large-scale involvement of Broncos’ players and staff in this year’s series had drained the entire organisation.

"Up to round 12 this year, we were in good form,” Bennett said.

“At that stage of the season we were up near the top of the table in the NRL with nine wins and three losses. Our Reserve grade side was leading the Queensland Cup and our Colts were on top of the table in the Toowoomba competition.

“Now we are down in eighth, the Clydesdales finished sixth and missed the finals and our Colts slipped down to third or fourth.

"Our whole program is just so disrupted by State of Origin and my involvement as coach hasn't helped. Before the State of Origin but we came back from Origin and it's all fallen apart.

“If we had three or four players involved [in Origin] we could handle it but we've got 11 and 12 involved.

“I know it is the pinnacle of our game and players want to play it and be involved in it and I would never think of denying them that opportunity.

“I just think there needs to be some concessions for our competition’s elite players. They need a rest.”

In an indication that he would not directly participate in Queensland's campaign next year, Bennett said playing Origin matches was like "playing a grand final every couple of weeks" and this year's series had drained him and the players.

"I know how bad I felt," he said.

"I only started to feel normal again a week ago."

Bennett also questioned the NRL’s scheduling after the third Origin fixture, which saw seven Broncos have to front up for four matches – an Origin, a Test and two club games – in the space of 10 days.

“Look at a bloke like Shane Webcke, he hasn’t had a week off all season and that includes three mid-week Origins and a Test,” Bennett said.

“And on top of that we had the scheduling of four games in 10 days after the Origin series and I don’t think some of our blokes have totally recovered from that.”

Bennett has called on the Rugby League Players’ Association to do more to help the game’s elite players.
He said the RLPA needed to speak to some of the players most affected by the extensive NRL club and representative season because club’s were just not interested in changing the status quo.

“Clubs like us, Newcastle and the Roosters have all approached the league for some help in this regard, but we get no support from the other clubs,” Bennett said.

“They want to see our elite players backing-up and tired at the end of the season, but it is not good for the game.

“The Roosters have made some excellent proposals this season that have just been rejected by all those clubs who aren’t as heavily affected by representative football.

“It is time the players started standing up for themselves.

“Gorden Tallis was speaking to a leading AFL player telling him how they had to play a Test on Friday night and back-up for the club on Saturday and the AFL player just laughed and said that sort of thing would never be allowed to happen in the AFL.”

After their loss to Parramatta on Saturday Bennett dismissed suggestions that next Friday night's final game against St George Illawarra was “grand final” for the Broncos, with the Eels now just one win and percentage short of a Brisbane.

Next weekend Parramatta travel to Penrith, needing to beat the competition frontrunners to have any hope of being involved in the finals, while Brisbane can still make it even if they lose to the Dragons due to a superior for and against record.

"It's not our grand final," said Bennett.

"Our for and against is not that of a club sitting badly.

“We haven’t been beaten by more than 10 points in the last six weeks, so we aren’t a side who is going out and getting blown off the park. We just can’t get enough points ourselves and I am just not sure how we are going to fix that at the moment.”

Asked if Brisbane could finish eighth and win five games straight to win a sixth premiership, Bennett replied: "We've managed to lose six straight and we didn't plan for that."

Maybe they should rethink when to play the SOO, but I don't believe that is the reason for their form slump.

knightsgal85

Juniors
mia said:
Maybe they should rethink when to play the SOO, but I don't believe that is the reason for their form slump.

Neither do I Misty, oops, sorry, mia ;-) Couldn't help but notice, but that sure was one long quote :lol:

Brett Firman has been ruled out of Friday night's clash with the Broncos. He has to have shoulder reconstruction, after aggravating his right shoulder in yesterday's match.

See the following link: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/

It is so sad to hear Brett Firman will be missing 6 months :cry: He has been a fine talent to watch. Things do not look too rosy for the Eels who are depending upon a Dragons win.

He will have a shoulder reconstruction tomorrow. So I hope everything goes well for him tomorrow. It's good to hear that he is expected to be fit for the start of the 2004 season. Talk about double jeopardy ... it is his second reconstruction in 2 years (except the previous reconstruction was for his left shoulder).

This loss significantly boosts the Broncos chances of success come Friday.

misty

Juniors
Neither do I Misty, oops, sorry, mia ;-) Couldn't help but notice, but that sure was one long quote :lol:

:lol: :lol: I don't know why I quoted the whole thing just to lazy to cut and paste I guess ;-)

If they can't beat St George on Friday the fans should want to know WHY!

knightsgal85

Juniors
mia said:
If they can't beat St George on Friday the fans should want to know WHY!

They are devastated about the loss to the Eels last round. If they were to lose against a depleted Dragons outfit, they will hmmm ... not sure what they would do. There would be a greater outcry! The Broncos will be inspired by our performance & will want to do a Newcastle come Friday :D

misty

Juniors
The teams that are a worry for us IMO the Roosters & the Dogs OH! and maybe the Raiders they are pretty hot at the moment BUT can they keep it up that is the question I'm hoping they have peaked to early :p
I don't think the broncos can pull out of this slump their in at the moment.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this season has been an unusual one?

teams that should be winning easily have had to fight hard for their wins.

knightsgal85

Juniors
mia said:
Is it just me or does anyone else think this season has been an unusual one?

teams that should be winning easily have had to fight hard for their wins.

I'm a bit hesitant about the Roosters.

Generally speaking from last round, most people would have expected the Bulldogs to win against Canberra, the Broncos to defeat the Eels & the Roosters to defeat the Warriors. I love upsets :D This season has had virtually everything. The competition has been close & intense, & the Eels still have a mathematical chance of making the 8, & causing the Broncos to miss the finals (which will probably not eventuate, but you never really know).

I can't wait until the finals - a new brand of footy is starting to emerge already ;-)

misty

Juniors
I forgot ONE other team the PANTHERS they are playing some great footy at the moment, I can't wait for the finals as well I just hope our teams ready for it.

Kaz

junior
All the Knights fans making fun of other teams. pffft

Did I ever make fun of your team, when I was on the Knights Forum. :lol:

* Runs & Hides.

Risa

Bench
*waits for Kaz's opinion on this one*

Quit blaming Origin, hey look what it did to us? We're back, without the great one, and have had so many injuries this year.

The Broncos should blame it on injuries to key men..lol

misty

Juniors
Kaz said:
All the Knights fans making fun of other teams. pffft

Did I ever make fun of your team, when I was on the Knights Forum. :lol:

* Runs & Hides.

ummmmm......in a word

YESSSSSSSSSS :lol:

Why isn't that whistle thingy working? :?

bronnie34

Juniors
I'm definately not a fan of the broncos but they will make the eight and can not be dismissed. Sure they aren't playing their best footy at the moment but any team with the talent they have can't be cast aside.
As for wayne bennett blaming the origin series, Get over it!

Anonymous

Juniors
Why have Brisbane lost 6 in a row?

They have no halves of any quality. Berrigan is obviously an outside back, and Ikin plays like me.

Webke and Tallis, both this year and last have showed signs of aging as players. Webke especially seems to be nearly ready to hang up the boots. Civonoceva has been less effective due to his front row partner not having the same impact on the dirty rucks like he used to. Myers has not matured as a player, it is never good to play for Australia before you deserve too ( see Anasta ), I rekon it removes a number of drives that make young guys improve. Carlaw has been at times brilliant and other times puerile. Tate is a good player but as soon as he started to get niggling injuries his form plummeted as well.

Let's see.............. Their fullback while talented is a sook of the highest order, that would prefer to wander around the field like a lost puppy than get into some hard work.

I was surprised they went as well as they did this year, hats off to Bennett, they are by no means a quality side. I mean any team that requires Stuart Kelly to play 26 games has to be hard up for players.

IMO - They will lose to St George, badly, the Eels will beat the Panthers and the Broncos will be learning what other teams do at this time of the year.

The Broncos and the Knights have both had rebuilding years this year. Brisbane however dont seem to have made any progress.

-GS.