What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bunnies in the money: Souths posted a profit in '09

BRAD WALTER
March 8, 2010 .

AFTER losing $7 million in the previous two years, South Sydney chairman Nicholas Pappas yesterday announced the Rabbitohs had turned a profit for the first time in recent memory last season - making them the only Sydney club to do so in 2009.

Pappas made the announcement to Souths' members at the football club's annual general meeting at Redfern Town Hall, where former directors Andrew Denton and Nick Greiner were awarded life membership for their role in helping to save the Rabbitohs after their expulsion from the NRL at the end of the 1999 season.

Former Souths players Ross Harrington and Tony Rampling were also given life memberships.

The $260,000 profit is a stunning reversal of fortune for a club that appeared to have no future a decade earlier and in the past two years had incurred losses of $4.5m in 2007 and $2.5m in 2008, which were covered by co-owners Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court.

The news comes just a week after Souths and St George Illawarra became the first NRL clubs to surpass 10,000 members. Significantly, the profit is derived purely from football activities and does not include any funding from private investors or the South Sydney Leagues Club, which is due to re-open this season and hopes to be able to make a small annual grant to the Rabbitohs.

It was also achieved in a year the club again failed to make the play-offs after featuring in the 2007 finals series for the first time since 1989.

''We'd like to think that this shows there is light at the end of the tunnel for all clubs,'' Pappas said.

''We're now at a stage where we had just over $15 million in revenue and when get to that level and you operate frugally you can produce modest profits.''

Pappas said that the huge losses incurred by the Rabbitohs in the previous two seasons had been projected after the club sold a 75 per cent stake to Crowe and Holmes a Court.

He said much of that money had been spent improving facilities and building the Rabbitohs into a position where they were able to generate enough revenue from sponsorship, gate receipts, merchandise and memberships to support the football operations, and could not have been done without Crowe and Holmes a Court buying into the club.

''We've been able to do those things while protecting the rights of members and we're not only now profitable but we are a permanent fixture in the competition and based in Sydney, which is what we set out to ensure,'' Pappas said.

It is understood that Souths are one of just four NRL clubs to have made a profit last season, with the other three being the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys - all of whom are based in Queensland.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...uths-posted-a-profit-in-09-20100307-pqn1.html

Not bad for a club that has been in the Semi Finals once in 20yrs.Congradultions to Ross,Tony,Greiner and Denton on obtaining Life Membership.

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
It's been a massive turnaround.

Only short sighted dickheads voted no and they have been proven immeasurably wrong.

We'd be dead if the "no" vote had got up.

Foxy

Juniors
Well done to the administration of the club to have the vision to pull us out of where other clubs are headed.

Should only go from strength to strength as years progress. We just need to get the results on the field to keep the momentum going and we have to be confident of that with the team that has now been assembled and the strength of juniors coming through the ranks

With the increase in membership numbers we've posted, you'd have to think that given most of the infrastructure is out of the way and if all other costs remain equal or at least close to equal, we should bank an even bigger number this year.

coach

A massive turn around in finances. Congrats to all the people running the club.

boo_boo

Juniors
Congratulations to the clubs management for doing their job well enough for us to make a profit.
Still not worth the 75% takeover.

boo_boo

Juniors
It's been a massive turnaround.

Only short sighted dickheads voted no and they have been proven immeasurably wrong.

We'd be dead if the "no" vote had got up.

Fein, a lot of good people voted YES & a lot of good people voted NO.
I dont really expect you to drop this excessive hatred you have towards those who dont agree with you but nothing especially you will ever deter me from following South Sydney.
I'm here for the long haul so get used to it.

Fein

First Grade
Fein, a lot of good people voted YES & a lot of good people voted NO.
I dont really expect you to drop this excessive hatred you have towards those who dont agree with you but nothing especially you will ever deter me from following South Sydney.
I'm here for the long haul so get used to it.

No Boo Boo, most who voted no were and remain f**kwits.

You are a prime example.

You are NOT a Souths supporter, you're an arsehole who claims to support Souths but then takes every opportunity to backstab the best management the club has ever seen.

This has been demonstrated time and time again here, and elsewhere.

You seem to think if you keep denying it, people will fall for your bullsh*t.

Newsflash.....they don't.

PS. I bet you won't be at the game on Sunday either!!!!

PPS. Or the KB after the game!!!!

Sugar

Bench
I have been wondering the same thing.ILoks like Q has gone into off season mode.I want to see a "rant" before Friday.
I think Dave has been busy getting Ross fit for round 1 and showing Taylor which lines to run off Sutton.

A rant would be a great start to the season but hopefully he can fire us up
in the members bar over a few pre game sherberts.

Are you in Newc?

I think Dave has been busy getting Ross fit for round 1 and showing Taylor which lines to run off Sutton.

A rant would be a great start to the season but hopefully he can fire us up
in the members bar over a few pre game sherberts.

Are you in Newc?

For sure,back to my normal job.Only prob,is that im on nite work Sat nite and getting the train straight away Sunday morning with no sleep.A small price to pay in order to watch this great club.I will be at Brewery bright an early,then will come over to the Members.

Last edited:

Sonic Star

Juniors
:lol:

Mate, there's only one NO voter here, the one with no TETsticles.

I have to deal with Cassie over on the other forum.

She has her own thread.

87 pages and counting of rubbish and continuously repeating herself and talking to herself over and over again while no one takes her seriously.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave Q

Coach
Im still lurking, just busy at work and on the home front... very bloody busy!

(cough)

When we voted "yes", we voted to hand the reigns over to people who had a vision to turn the club around.

They achieved this through hard work and the engagement of top people.

Rusty and Phac did their bit but as Ive said, the kudos also belongs to Richo and his staff. And people who saw the light, fans supporters and all those who welcomed in the new era...their tireless, sincere and genuine efforts have astonished the sporting world. Many remain anonymous and unheralded. They gave to us freely and without reward or a thought for themselves.

People forgot that their was a nasty depression recently and yet we still managed to break even and profit.

We havent liked every single decision, sure,but we have learnt that we must make sacrifices ourselves for the good of the club. Souths called and we responded. We were really backing ourselves.

Souths is way of the curve in every respect, thats why the NRL itself is seeking our advice and counsel all the time.

Its been all about people, getting good people together, giving them the resources and letting them loose. Creative, enterprising, listening and responsive people.

They have turned our long cold night into a glittering sunny day. I am still enchanted and spellbound by their efforts, we can never repay them properly, just a meaningful "thanks."

A club is only as good as its people. Ive been following this game for years, I have observed and I can assert as a fact, that we have the best people.

Souths gives our lives some meaning and presents as a welcome respite in a cruel, indifferent and often depressing world.

Souths lives in our hearts, for all of eternity, the flame of love for our club will never be extinguished.

We live on our feet and we either survive or we die. But whatever we do, we do so, together.

One club under stars of red and green, the club where dreams come true...

South Sydney 'till I die...

Last edited:

Isaaxe

Juniors
Simply stated this is an operating profit before interest and other expenses. In accounting terms with all costs included it would be a nett loss. That is not the point though. SS are the only non QLD based club that made an operating profit in 2009.

A gross profit here is due to a reduction of the huge set up costs in 2007 and 2008 plus increased revenues. PLUS the significant membership increases. SS have a business plan going forward to increase the membership and sponsorship and other revenue opportunities. This is in marked contrast to the pre EGM vote of 75.2%.

Among the people who seem to hanker for the days of the past are those that cannot let go of their need to be stubborn. Eg SS fans who live in Maroubra or Randwick etc and refuse to go to ANZ stadium but would attend SFS. What about Newcastle Rabbit and those from Campbelltown, Canberra, Gosford, Wyee, Tarcutta, Kempsey and Braddon they have far more to travel. They realise it is about SS as a group not them as an individual.
============

SS are now making a successful turnaround of their fortunes. The culture of being 'poor me' is over. The players believe in themselves. Crocker, Taylor, Asotasi, Luke and Tyrell are but 5 who think SS are as good as any other team. In 2006 Peachey started the change in culture at SS and it was continued in 2007 by him and Vagana, Kidwell etc.

Last edited:
Simply stated this is an operating profit before interest and other expenses. In accounting terms with all costs included it would be a nett loss. That is not the point though. SS are the only non QLD based club that made an operating profit in 2009.

A gross profit here is due to a reduction of the huge set up costs in 2007 and 2008 plus increased revenues. PLUS the significant membership increases. SS have a business plan going forward to increase the membership and sponsorship and other revenue opportunities. This is in marked contrast to the pre EGM vote of 75.2%.

Among the people who seem to hanker for the days of the past are those that cannot let go of their need to be stubborn. Eg SS fans who live in Maroubra or Randwick etc and refuse to go to ANZ stadium but would attend SFS. What about Newcastle Rabbit and those from Campbelltown, Canberra, Gosford, Wyee, Tarcutta, Kempsey and Braddon they have far more to travel. They realise it is about SS as a group not them as an individual.
============

SS are now making a successful turnaround of their fortunes. The culture of being 'poor me' is over. The players believe in themselves. Crocker, Taylor, Asotasi, Luke and Tyrell are but 5 who think SS are as good as any other team. In 2006 Peachey started the change in culture at SS and it was continued in 2007 by him and Vagana, Kidwell etc.

Thanks for the wrap Isaxxe,a small price to pay to watch this great club go round.

Latest posts