What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

It is very logical geographically. And they would become an absolute powerhouse of junior talent...

Build a new stadium at Heathcote, at the ovals near Heathcote Station.., (my old stomping ground).

Sounds good to me..

Oh, what about St George?

Move them to Adelaide..

The Adelaide Dragons...

Sounds good to me..
I think St George could really benefit from basing themselves in Adelaide. It's the City of Churches and has a sizeable English population, so the club's links with St George the 'Slayer of the Dragon' could appeal to the older folk who don't give a shit about fumbleball. It gives the club a chance to develop a new fanbase while still having long-term supporters living all around the country.

I'm starting to think that the game does need to expand if it wishes to remain a major sport. Kids from the new generation are not as RL hungry as they were back in my day. When I was a kid we played RL every day at school and never stopped talking about it. We'd watch all the games and loved it. These days they play soccer and basketball and care more about Man U than their local NRL club. We need to make RL cool again, and putting teams in Adelaide and Perth can help do that.

MugaB

Coach
Can Wollongong support a professional RL team playing 12 games at its venue?

The Illawarra Steelers were a basket case and drew horrendous crowds.

Why should the ARLC take a team out of Sydney and place it in a regional area of NSW that has a metropolitan population of only 302k, when there are cities in SEQ that have more people?

Wollongong - Wikipedia

The City of Wollongong only has 203k people.

City of Wollongong - Wikipedia

How can you justify Wollongong having a team of its own when Logan has 326k and is growing rapidly, with NRL teams in Brisbane and the Gold Coast to create local rivalries that will draw big crowds?

Logan City - Wikipedia

Logan also produces more RL players than Wollongong and is a dyed in a wool RL city. Wollongong has a fairly large soccer fanbase and fumbleball is growing. This is NSW-centric thinking on your behalf and it's holding back expansion in under-represented areas and cities that have no representation at all.

Roosters finished last in 2009, winning just 2 more games than the Broncos in a 24 round season.

Rugby League Tables / Season 2009 (afltables.com)

Their attendances for 2009 were 13,211, which put them above Parramatta, Melbourne, Cronulla and Canberra.

Rugby League Tables / Attendances 2009 (afltables.com)

If they get good crowds on the Central Coast then wouldn't that suggest they have the potential to develop a fanbase from Bondi through the North Shore up to Gosford?

Removing Manly from the picture would make the Roosters the nearest club and one that's associated with affluence. It would make them a good competitor to the Swans and Waratahs and help grow the game from the bottom up.

South Sydney can play at SFS alongside Sydney Roosters. That would ensure a game is played at the SFS every week. Surely that'll hurt AwFuL and Onionball more than having just the one RL club playing there, yeah?

The NSW Gov wouldn't be happy losing a major tenant to Adelaide after speeding millions of dollars rebuilding their stadium. How would the ARLC be able to convince the NSW Gov to spend money on other stadiums if we were to move clubs that just had one rebuilt for them?

Giving the Tigers' licence to West Coast Pirates or relocating them to Perth won't have much of an effect, as they play at small suburban grounds most of the time. If you were to merge Magpies with Bulldogs you could take the games that were previously played at Belmore, Leichhardt and Campbelltown and play them at West Sydney Stadium and Stadium Australia. That would actually be beneficial to the NSW Gov.

Sending Dragons to Adelaide won't hurt as Kogarah is not fit for NRL games and a rebranded South Coast Sharks can take 4 or 6 games to Wollongong.

The Broncos are the only top flight team in the Brisbane metropolitan area, with the 9 BRL clubs from 1987 serving as feeder clubs. It hasn't prevented the Broncos from becoming the largest, richest and most profitable team in the league. The only problem is there isn't enough content in the city to meet the demand of its RL mad fanbase.

The problem with Sydney is it has neglected the grassroots and focused on propping up small Sydney clubs that weren't designed to survive in a fully professional era. The NSWRL Premiership was great as a Sydney semi-professional competition, but those days are over. If we want the game to survive and thrive in its biggest city then we need to reduce the amount of clubs to something sustainable. 3 in the west and 3 in the east of Sydney is a good mix for a city that has 5 million people. It'll provide more commercial opportunities for them as there will be 3 less teams to compete with for sponsors and media attention.

The NSW Cup can become an important competition in its own right, but it never will if there's 9 NRL clubs in Sydney. It's insulting to people from Queensland to say we should just have 2 teams in the world's second largest RL city, which has 2.4 million people, whereas Sydney has 9, with you wanting it to have at least 8, even though it's population is only twice the size of Brisbane. There's nothing unique about Sydney that means its suburban teams need to be treated better than the ones from the Brisbane Rugby League, Newcastle Rugby league, Canberra Rugby League, Gold Coast Rugby League and Wollongong Rugby League.
Understood, but doesn't excuse that the roosters as a "sydney" based club aren't growing from that 13k average even after successfully winning and making GF consistently since 2009, you cant blame the 8 other sydney clubs for them not being more successful either, they won't grow bigger or better even with 3 other teams relocated, as they haven't done so since norths have left, nor the 2 mergers either, and good luck moving on 2 merger clubs who have huge fan bases/memberships wests/dragons, and also moving manly, all leaving the same hole in catchments as what North sydney fans had become used to effectively reducing sydney in members that won't come back to league..
Your garbage logic, is to reshuffle the WHOLE deck, instead of providing Adelaide with the most best case scenario at success, which is what this thread is about, along with keeping the status quo in all of sydney, so as to not drop the ball against rival codes.
ALF would love to see NRL eat each other alive if any sydney club was to faulter, let alone attack them after they are effectively punted to Adelaide. Where they would again cause there demise again like what happened to the Rams. Send the best club, one that has relatively bugger all need to be in Sydney, and needs no juniors, has no catchment and leave no mess behind them, all will prosper.

I am an advocate for 2 new brisbane teams, Jets and Dolphins, which should lock up Suncorp every week, and grow QLD juniors moreso, but we also cannot turn a blind eye to Perth and Adelaide, nor can we cull any Existing 1st grade teams to bring in brand new franchises that might flop, the 16 teams must be viable before any new licenses go out, sydney needs 7 teams minimum, it has 5 million and is the epicenter of the NRL as heartland cities go, those stats suggest we have 700k per team, where brisbane another heartland city should be at 3 teams for it's 700k per club of 2.2 million
Other heartland rural areas like Newcastle at 300k, Wollongong 300k, Canberra 400k, Townsville at 200k.
Yet we only have one team in Auckland 1.5m (which should have 2) and Melbourne also 5million (which should have 7 clubs also) but isn't heartland at all, all this sugests
That Perth (2m) should have at least one club, and Adelaide (1.3m) aswell, but since Adelaide isn't heartland we should be sending a team that is successful to encourage a winning mentality to possible fanbase that would reject any failure of a relocated club

Last edited:
Understood, but doesn't excuse that the roosters as a "sydney" based club aren't growing from that 13k average even after successfully winning and making GF consistently since 2009, you cant blame the 8 other sydney clubs for them not being more successful either, they won't grow bigger or better even with 3 other teams relocated, as they haven't done so since norths have left, nor the 2 mergers either, and good luck moving on 2 merger clubs who have huge fan bases/memberships wests/dragons, and also moving manly, all leaving the same hole in catchments as what North sydney fans had become used to effectively reducing sydney in members that won't come back to league..
Your garbage logic, is to reshuffle the WHOLE deck, instead of providing Adelaide with the most best case scenario at success, which is what this thread is about, along with keeping the status quo in all of sydney, so as to not drop the ball against rival codes.
ALF would love to see NRL eat each other alive if any sydney club was to faulter, let alone attack them after they are effectively punted to Adelaide. Where they would again cause there demise again like what happened to the Rams. Send the best club, one that has relatively bugger all need to be in Sydney, and needs no juniors, has no catchment and leave no mess behind them, all will prosper.

I am an advocate for 2 new brisbane teams, Jets and Dolphins, which should lock up Suncorp every week, and grow QLD juniors moreso, but we also cannot turn a blind eye to Perth and Adelaide, nor can we cull any Existing 1st grade teams to bring in brand new franchises that might flop, the 16 teams must be viable before any new licenses go out, sydney needs 7 teams minimum, it has 5 million and is the epicenter of the NRL as heartland cities go, those stats suggest we have 700k per team, where brisbane another heartland city should be at 3 teams for it 700k per club
Other heartland rural areas like Newcastle at 300k, Wollongong 300k, Canberra 400k, Townsville at 200k.
Yet we only have one team in Auckland 1.5m (which should have 2) and Melbourne also 5million (which should have 7 clubs also) but isn't heartland at all, all this sugests
That Perth (2m) should have at least one club, and Adelaide (1.3m) aswell, but since Adelaide isn't heartland we should be sending a team that is successful to encourage a winning mentality to possible fanbase that would reject any failure of a relocated club
We missed our opportunity to grow when Arthurson and Quayle did a 180 degree backflip during the 90s. They wanted to rationalise Sydney and destroyed every other major competition in the country, trampling on the history and tradition of those clubs. Then when News Ltd came along and tried to help them realise their vision they decided the history and tradition of Sydney's clubs was more important than the rationalisation strategy they came up with during the 80s. The game has never recovered from this and the NRL is destined to remain a Sydney-centric competition until it becomes so irrelevant that it has to start from scratch. I believe Arthurson and Quayle never had any intention of rationalising Sydney and just wanted to kill off the BRL, WRL and NRL.

I know that some fans in Sydney will be lost to the game through rationalisation, but if it leads to more people watching and playing the game in Adelaide, Perth, NZ and SE Queensland then it's a small sacrifice for the greater good. RL faces the same problem as the other collision-based sports in today's helicopter parent society that is wrapping its kids in cotton wool.

I am against the Tigers and Dragons because they were poorly thought out mergers. If the Magpies had have merged with Bulldogs, Tigers merged with Bears, Steelers merged with Cronulla, St George merged with Rabbitohs and Roosters merged with Sea Eagles then the game would be in a far stronger position today.

North Sydney Tigers
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Coast Sharks
South Sydney Dragons
Sydney Sea Eagles
Western Sydney Bulldogs

Out of all dead teams, Rams logo etc should be resurrected imho.

Perth can go with Pirates or whatever but Rams is a good moniker.
If I was the SA gov I'd be on the phone to the Sea Eagles and Dragons to talk about relocating to Adelaide, permanently, with perks such as a state of the art centre of excellence and clubhouse built especially for them.

MugaB

Coach
If I was the SA gov I'd be on the phone to the Sea Eagles and Dragons to talk about relocating to Adelaide, permanently, with perks such as a state of the art centre of excellence and clubhouse built especially for them.
Or build the stadium and promote a want to bring back the rams...

Sorry dude but you gotta end this relocations of sydney team in every post, its getting to the point that im going to put you on ignore, its becoming tedious to read the same shit every post you make, its been said again and again and again, dude please we get it Adelaide dragons/eagles/tigers FMD

Tigers1986

Juniors
They've made a team in Melbourne work, no reason it cannot work in Adelaide. There's more than enough depth for playing rosters given the first-grade capable talent currently playing in the NSW and QLD Cups, as well as over in England.

Out of all dead teams, Rams logo etc should be resurrected imho.

Perth can go with Pirates or whatever but Rams is a good moniker.

I agree. I have seen a few local sporting clubs using the Rams logo design. I had to do a double take a few times when I first saw it...
Same ram, and club font at the top.

images

I don’t know but think that’s a throwaway number.. the previous / original development proposal was for 20k plus in a “field configuration”.

@RedVee havd read into it more..

The initial proposal was for a multi purpose facility that could be configured to host rectangular field sports.

It would appear that the green light for this is based purely on entertainment and “court sports”...

Things may change in design over time, which can happen from initial approval. And I’m hoping it does. Seems a lot of money for a facility that, with better investment, could accomodate field sports in a state of the art arena.

RedVee

First Grade
@RedVee havd read into it more..

The initial proposal was for a multi purpose facility that could be configured to host rectangular field sports.

It would appear that the green light for this is based purely on entertainment and “court sports”...

Things may change in design over time, which can happen from initial approval. And I’m hoping it does. Seems a lot of money for a facility that, with better investment, could accomodate field sports in a state of the art arena.
Thanks.

For the investment these things cost you’d want it to include field sports and hopefully at least a 22k capacity, preferably 36/30k for the long term.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks.

For the investment these things cost you’d want it to include field sports and hopefully at least a 22k capacity, preferably 36/30k for the long term.

It would be hugely expansive to build an indoor arena that big. Perth arena cost $550mill and would need to be double its size to be able to play RL or soccer in it.

Latest posts