What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cat Came Back

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, for the record I also think there's no chance of Dobson going over there in exchange for Mogg. Happy to hand over one of our other uninjured outside backs at the moment though.

The funny thing is I'm not too fussed if Mogg returns in the long term, but there's no doubt he'd be handy right now.

parra pete

Referee
Chachi said:
There's a report in RLW that basically echo's Pete's prediction word for word. Apparently Mogg wants to break his 3 year contract with Catalans to return "home" to the Raiders (something to do with an unhappy missus perhaps? ha ha). Anyway, Catalans wants some sort of compensation, which could include an exchange player... Deal could be done prior to June 30.

Now this is where the conspiracy theories come in...

Dobson -> Catalans for the season, returning in 2008 (to get Mogg back)
Mogg -> Raiders
Henry -> testing halves combinations to see if it's a goer.

Have I cracked the daHenry code?!?

Probably not.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Chachi

Bench
Chachi said:
If Pete gets this right can everyone lay off him for a minute?

If so, this is certainly an interesting situation and certainly fits with releasing Frawley.

I'm not sure if it's our best move but given the shortage of quality/experienced centres on the market it's probably a safe bet. If he brings the defence he showed around origin time last year it will obviously be a great bonus for us.
Dude, I never doubted. ;-)

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The dropping of Dobson has nothing to do with this whatsoever. Have people forgotten that Craig Frawley is to be released?

Good news though, I'll be amped if Moggy comes back.

jed

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
The dropping of Dobson has nothing to do with this whatsoever. Have people forgotten that Craig Frawley is to be released?

Ooh! Now that would be a good idea!

julian87

Juniors
Frawley for Mogg, what a brainwave. But I'd be happy with Howell for Mogg also.

I really, really hope that this happens for this season. Because by next season I am sure the likes of Purtell, Campese, Irwin, Goodwin or Kelly will have taken most spots in the backline nyway.

julian87

Juniors
Well if he goes to the sharks they should let us have Hannay.

I'd much prefer Mogg than that nuffy though.

Chachi

Bench
julian87 said:
Well if he goes to the sharks they should let us have Hannay.

I'd much prefer Mogg than that nuffy though.
If they let us have Anderson it's a deal.

legend

Coach
Howell to Catalans may be something with legs as Howell is Mick Potter's nephew or something like that and Potter coaches Catalans.

Chachi

Bench
Mogg puts hand up for return Raiders happy to get him back
David Jean

The Canberra Raiders didn't want him to leave, now State of Origin star Adam Mogg wants to come back.
Mogg's manager David Riolo is in France brokering a release from his English Super League club Catalans and has contacted the Raiders about a possible return to the capital.

Raiders general manager Don Furner yesterday confirmed the club was interested in bringing Mogg back to Canberra after his surprise departure last year.

The 28-year-old centre joins a growing list of former players who have recently expressed regret at leaving Canberra.

The Canberra Times yesterday revealed former fullback Clinton Schifcofske regretted dropping the Raiders' captaincy to join rugby union and the Queensland Reds last season, while Sydney Roosters winger Joel Monaghan is rumoured to be interested in a return to the club he started his NRL career with.

Furner said he would wait for Riolo to return to Australia before querying the status of Mogg, who played 69 games for the Raiders between 2004 and 2006.

"Three or four weeks ago [Riolo] was leaving and said 'I heard Moggy is not very happy'," Furner said.

"He asked if we would be interested and I said 'yeah'.

"I only know what I've heard on the grapevine.

"We would be interested but a lot of things would have to happen first."

Mogg shocked the Raiders last season when he announced a three-year deal with Catalans on the same day Queensland selectors picked him for his Origin debut.

He subsequently starred for the Maroons in games two and three as they stitched up the series.

The Raiders made a last-ditch effort to retain him, offering him a three-year deal worth $750,000.

But Mogg chose to honour a Catalans contract worth about $50,000 extra a season.

Furner said Mogg would be an ideal addition to the current Raiders squad, which is lacking experience in its outside backs.

He said the good reputation of new coach Neil Henry might play a part in bringing him back.

"We never wanted to see him go," he said. "Of the players that left last year he was in great form and we would have liked to have kept him.

"I think he's probably hearing good things about Neil from the other players.

"Obviously last year Neil wasn't here and he wasn't able to sit down and talk to him to stay.

"But he had a bit of a dose of Neil during the Origin and the good thing is if he comes back to us it's a good sign for us because players want to come back."

Furner ruled out paying financial compensation to Catalans in exchange for Mogg. He said the club was also unlikely to swap a player.

"We wouldn't have the money to pay them out of the contract," he said.

Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan was unavailable for comment yesterday. But The Canberra Times understands he has contacted the Raiders.

Monaghan is rumoured to be after up to $300,000 a season, something Furner said the Raiders were unlikely to pay.

"I haven't spoken to the coaching staff about him and I wouldn't think so, but I don't know," Furner said.

"Names come up and I go and speak to the coaching staff about them and I haven't spoken to them about him."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=583927&category=rugby league

That's some funny stuff right there! $300,000. :lol:

thickos

First Grade
I always thought a return for Joel was on the cards - he is in Canberra all the time to see family, and well his time at the Chooks has seemed unhappy at best.

$300k though is a laugh, what's he done for four years worth that?

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Yeah, I was wondering when Joel's name would come up. Surely he can't be after $300K he has been in the NRL wilderness for the last 2 years. Wouldn't mind his return at the right price. Whilst where bringing up old names, would of been interesting to see how Ale would of fared this season. Expected to see him at the Knights but haven't heard anything.

Latest posts