What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Children Overboard issue develops

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:
So what did Howard not say that actually happened then?
Just before the 2001 election, John Howard got on national radio and said: "I certainly don't want people of that type in Australia, I really don't"

It seems the PM said that after being told the photos were not a true representation of the events.

Jimbo

Immortal
Willow said:
Just before the 2001 election, John Howard got on national radio and said: "I certainly don't want people of that type in Australia, I really don't"

It seems the PM said that after being told the photos were not a true representation of the events.

If he's talking about the dimwits that willingly risk their childrens' lives trying to jump the queue into Australia, I don't want them here either...

sunny

That would be the policy which was replaced in 1991 by "the recession we had to have," right?

Nope.....this was the childcare policy that the ALP took to the '87 election........nothing to do with the recession of '90/'91

^ Pando

retired
Jimbo said:
If he's talking about the dimwits that willingly risk their childrens' lives trying to jump the queue into Australia, I don't want them here either...

Me either. Child abuse at its worst.

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:
Willow said:

A geez, kids overboard just happened to the big news story of the day, the public were getting conflicting information, and then the PM drops that clanger... perfect timing eh?

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1177464.htm

Jimbo

Immortal
Good timing in affirming his commitment to border protection? Definitely.

Lying? Hardly.

Anonymous

Juniors
According to Scrafton, Howard was told that children were never thrown overboard. Howard allowed the lie to continue, and against this backdrop, he then persisted with the, "I certainly don't want people of that type in Australia" line.

Looks like lying, smells like lying, tastes like lying... so he must be telling the truth eh?

Anonymous

Juniors
Well imo, having someone who is mad enough to hit a taxi driver is less dangerous than one who locks up kids on the Equator.

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:
Well imo, having someone who is mad enough to hit a taxi driver is less dangerous than one who locks up kids on the Equator.

How about blaming the people who put their children in leaky boats before you blame Australia for taking a stance on illegal immigration.

The more that we are seen as a soft target, the more children are put at risk by people smugglers.

Surely you can see that?

The kids got in the water
The parents are responsible for that
And it's despicable that the parents put their kids in danger
The people who care about this thing, already hate Howard
The rest of us are living in the present
"Four more years!"

Anonymous

Juniors
That's a little a more relevant than taxi drivers but still getting away from the subject matter.

There will be always be disgareement on the treatment of boat people, no avoiding that.

The fact is, we're seeing another indication that the government wasn't being honest with the electorate on kids overboard saga.

But what about the statement that a lot of people dont care how the kids got in the water?

And what about the great deal of people who happen to believe John Howard on the whole issue?

Anonymous

Juniors
ShireShark said:
But what about the statement that a lot of people dont care how the kids got in the water?
Which statement s that?
The boat was sinking... the crew of the Adelaide worked hard to avoid loss of life.

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:
That's a little a more relevant than taxi drivers but still getting away from the subject matter.

There will be always be disgareement on the treatment of boat people, no avoiding that.

The fact is, we're seeing another indication that the government wssn't being honest with the electorate on kids overboard saga.

And it's a fact of life that politicians lie, so what.

Do you think that the government was right to tighten the immigration laws regarding illegal immigrants, especially now that it's obvious that it has slashed the amount of boat people coming here dramatically?

Do you think that a Labor government would relax the immigration laws?

Do you think that the influx of boat people it may cause, would be political suicide?

Willow said:
ShireShark said:
Which statement s that?
The boat was sinking... the crew of the Adelaide worked hard to avoid loss of life.

My statement here:
A lot of people, including myself, couldnt care less how the children - and the adults for that matter - got in the water. I'd still back Howard over a bunch of lousy queue jumping illegal immigrants.

Anonymous

Juniors
^ Pando said:
Willow said:

The fact is, we're seeing another indication that the government wssn't being honest with the electorate on kids overboard saga.

And it's a fact of life that politicians lie, so what.

Do you think that the government was right to tighten the immigration laws regarding illegal immigrants, especially now that it's obvious that it has slashed the amount of boat people coming here dramatically?

Do you think that a Labor government would relax the immigration laws?

Do you think that the influx of boat people it may cause, would be political suicide?
Given that they lie on this issue means they be can't be trusted with whatever they say about it. Nor does it make it right.
Don't know and don't care about Labor... they were pretty gutless at the time imo.

So given that all poliies lie, do you agree Howard lied on the Children Overboard affair?

Anonymous

Juniors
ShireShark said:
Willow said:
ShireShark said:
Which statement s that?

My statement here:
A lot of people, including myself, couldnt care less how the children - and the adults for that matter - got in the water. I'd still back Howard over a bunch of lousy queue jumping illegal immigrants.
What was the crew of the Adelaide supposed to do? Let them drown?

Latest posts